News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Spooky Mission 2: The Nightmare before Christmas

Started by OneOf99, October 30, 2021, 08:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneOf99

Spooky Mission 2
The Nightmare Before Christmas

Twas the nightmare before Christmas, when all through the land
Not a Ridley was stirring, not even a Kraid;
The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
In hopes that Imago soon would be there...

Samus, ever the fool, decided to jump down Ing Ing's pitfall trap during the escape, and was crushed by the falling Pumpkin at the end of her quest to stop Imago from bringing eternal Christmas.

But what's this? Imago has returned??? And he's threatening to bring eternal Christmas again? Samus turns in her grave, and her soul is snapped back to reality so that she can prevent this disaster! Join her on a new mission throughout Spooky Isle and find a way to stop Imago's devious plans.

Screenshots:
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Credits:
[spoiler]
Developers:
   - CaptGlitch
   - Caauyjdp
   - Conner
   - Ing Ing
   - Jiffy
   - JRP
   - M3D
   - NathanTech
   - OneOf99
   - Whalerynth

Testers:
   - Bob4224
   - Boomerang
   - Caauyjdp
   - Shaktool7[/spoiler]

Note: nightmares induced by fearful room design not our fault

Download at: https://metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=667

Steel Sparkle

Its been a really fun hack so far, very good but i seem to have hit a snag in continuing onwards.
please help?

[spoiler]Currently have every ability in the game including the optional Plasma Beam, there seems to be an area in BONEYARD that i am not sure how to reach. Im missing the final flame to access the final area in the game. Where do i need to head next?[/spoiler]

OneOf99

Quote from: Steel Sparkle on November 01, 2021, 06:25:17 PM
Its been a really fun hack so far, very good but i seem to have hit a snag in continuing onwards.
please help?

[spoiler]Currently have every ability in the game including the optional Plasma Beam, there seems to be an area in BONEYARD that i am not sure how to reach. Im missing the final flame to access the final area in the game. Where do i need to head next?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]You need to get the five green flames to unlock the gate in Express, you may have missed the one in Spider Nest or accidentally not grabbed the one at the end of Spooky (in the room after Ridley). Boneyard doesn't have any green flames, but it did have three purple ones that were mandatory to progress with earlier so I doubt you skipped those.[/spoiler]

Steel Sparkle

Quote from: OneOf99 on November 01, 2021, 06:29:55 PM
please help?

[spoiler]You need to get the five green flames to unlock the gate in Express, you may have missed the one in Spider Nest or accidentally not grabbed the one at the end of Spooky (in the room after Ridley). Boneyard doesn't have any green flames, but it did have three purple ones that were mandatory to progress with earlier so I doubt you skipped those.[/spoiler]

thank you!
[spoiler] I missed it in spider nest.[/spoiler]

makazuwr32

That is what i call Quality Content.

Graphics - 10 Ing Graves of 10
Atmosphere - 10 Pumpkin seeds of 10
Gameplay - 10 Sunken ships of 10
Bosses - 10 Spiders of 10
Music - 10 Spooks of 10
Final Escape Sequence and Final Boss - 10 Bugs of 10

Was able to get all items except 1 missing missile tank, 1 missing super missile tank and 2 missing e tanks - in total 96% items.

Steel Sparkle

Quote from: makazuwr32 on November 04, 2021, 08:35:47 AM
That is what i call Quality Content.

Graphics - 10 Ing Graves of 10
Atmosphere - 10 Pumpkin seeds of 10
Gameplay - 10 Sunken ships of 10
Bosses - 10 Spiders of 10
Music - 10 Spooks of 10
Final Escape Sequence and Final Boss - 10 Bugs of 10

I agree with this.
A ton of effort and love was put into this hack. I was expecting a short little Halloween hack but was happily surprised when it turned out it was a full hack. Great Job!

makazuwr32

Right. Forgot to mention 3 extra things:

1. Awesome resprite of Boss before Imago and dethgeega.
2. i love that you included old spooky missionas separate area.
3. awesome landing.

SpookerK

Quote from: Steel Sparkle on November 01, 2021, 06:41:37 PM
Quote from: OneOf99 on November 01, 2021, 06:29:55 PM
please help?

thank you!
[spoiler] I missed it in spider nest.[/spoiler]

Thanks to this post I was able to find that I missed the exact same thing.

Heraface

Any plans to make a "serious version" for this mod?
If the text can be tweaked so this can play and read like a mainline metrorid/castlevania game, I would be all for playing it. Environments are well done and to me its a  having "smol" show up on your screen for getting the first upgrade and "sell your soul" to save your progress is literally discrediting the creativity and work that went into this.

Cmon mates, release a serious version for us non decadent gamers

OneOf99

Quote from: Heraface on November 06, 2021, 12:45:09 AM
If the text can be tweaked so this can play and read like a mainline metrorid/castlevania game, I would be all for playing it. Environments are well done and to me its a  having "smol" show up on your screen for getting the first upgrade and "sell your soul" to save your progress is literally discrediting the creativity and work that went into this.

This IS the serious version, I'm not sure what you mean?

FelixWright

Quote from: Heraface on November 06, 2021, 12:45:09 AM

Spooky Mission (2018) was a contest hack that didn't take itself seriously. The sequel continues that tradition. It's not a big deal. If you would like a more serious romhack there's a lot for you to choose from, and you can even make your own! For Zero Mission and Fusion there is the Metroid Advance Game Editor (MAGE) which is currently the easiest to use editor of any Metroid game. It has all the tools you need to make a good quality hack.

Plutia

is there a place where I can get the serris music remix as a mp3 or something because I need more of that in my life

caauyjdp

it's in scrolls 6 ost, don't think it was changed for spooky2 but could be wrong
https://soundcloud.com/jrp2234/sets/metroid-scrolls-6-ost
hmm, actually i don't know if soundcloud allows anything but streaming..

Plutia

well, having a place outside of game to listen to them is good on its own, but I'll just throw it out there I would like downloads of the original music/remixes if that's something you guys are willing to put up

OneOf99

Quote from: Plutia on November 30, 2021, 02:10:22 PM
well, having a place outside of game to listen to them is good on its own, but I'll just throw it out there I would like downloads of the original music/remixes if that's something you guys are willing to put up

All the custom music by JRP is on his soundcloud, as for the other songs they are just straight ports of mp3s into the game.
The serris remix would be found under Scrolls 6 however, as caauyjdp said.

Zincoshine

uhm, is there something wrong with the latest version of the mod? One of the 5 flames seems to be completely inaccessible.

By the way, I found a softlock near the bottom right of the boneyard, it happens when you shinespark to the left through a bunch of speed blocks. If it gets interrupted you're stuck. I also found an out-of-map exploit in the glacial area, top right. It happens if you almost fall down a waterfall but grab the edge. It'll force you down but dangling from the top and jumping off results in you just being stuck outside the map.

LetsPlayNintendoITA

Quote from: Zincoshine on August 14, 2022, 12:14:14 PM
uhm, is there something wrong with the latest version of the mod? One of the 5 flames seems to be completely inaccessible.

By the way, I found a softlock near the bottom right of the boneyard, it happens when you shinespark to the left through a bunch of speed blocks. If it gets interrupted you're stuck. I also found an out-of-map exploit in the glacial area, top right. It happens if you almost fall down a waterfall but grab the edge. It'll force you down but dangling from the top and jumping off results in you just being stuck outside the map.
check the [spoiler]left side of that room above you.[/spoiler]

Conner

Quote from: Zincoshine on August 14, 2022, 12:14:14 PM

Could you explain what you are reffering to in the boneyard softlock? We checked several speedboost block locations but couldnt find anything that would softlock you.
The glacier softlock is known but rarely happens by accident. If we ever release a new version it will be fixed in there!
For your progression question, do what LPNITA said in his post above ^

Zincoshine

yeah, it's here:

It happens because at the left edge of this room, the speed blocks go from being 3 blocks to being 2 blocks high. The slope used to make the opening at the left edge 2 blocks high instead of 3 can stop the player and it did stop me on my first try. I was trapped with nowhere to go after that. I had to load my most recent save state.

Conner

Thats not a softlock... there are bomb blocks in that room to let you out

Zincoshine

eh? strange, I didn't find any.... doesn't matter. By the way, is it normal that the space/warp sections have no music?

I've completed it now by the way. Phenomenal job. It's a real shame you guys can't sell this on steam, it's better than most of the Metroidvanias released this year.

Conner

The space section doesnt have any music because I thought that it would give a spacier feeling. Sounds cant exist in space so I kinda wanted to replicate that feeling.
Same reason for the warp zone.

Fox128

Just here to say that I LOVE this hack. Just played through Spooky Mission 2 & 1 (yes, in that order xD) and loved them both to death.

Tbh I'm not even much of a MZM player anymore (played it a lot back then, but haven't played it in probably 10+ years), but these gave me the feeling of playing a completely new, atmospheric, polished Metroid game. The halloweenish themes and reskins used in this hack fit Metroid incredibly well. And most surprisingly these hacks even made me really appreciate the MZM-physics engine again, even though they weren't even changed (right?): The elaborate level design just made it feel so much fun to use Samus' original arsenal again. Playing through SM2 made me really want to check out how the older SM1 fares against it (and I wasn't disappointed the slightest), that's how GOOD both of these are.

So this will be an easy 10/10.

Tl;tr: Very much recommended to everyone who enjoyed the original game (even if it's been decades like in my case) <3

P.s.: Karid went on a diet ;)

Conner

Spooky Mission 2
Version 1.3

After 2 1/2 years we want to release one final version of Spooky Mission 2.

This version changes the following:
Bigger Minimap: Now 5x3 instead of 3x3
Rebalanced Bosses: Adjusted health and damage of two bosses
Fixed tiling and clipdata issues

Hopefully everyone can enjoy the hack a little bit more with these changes.
Unless some devestating bug is found, this will be the last update to Spooky Mission 2.