News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

SMILE Release Thread

Started by Zhs2, May 15, 2009, 11:41:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zhs2

Latest SMILE version available is 2.5. Get it here! http://jathys.zophar.net/files/smile.zip

Jathys

SMILE Version 2.30 Released!

• Created Metroid Buddy... It's a metroid that follows your mouse around eating enemies as you edit.  The point?  It's a frickin' metroid chasing your mouse.
  • Started a new Help File... I actually expect this one to go somewhere.  At the very least, I took several of the seperate text files (enemy quirks, door help, etc...) and stuck them into a single file.
    Legna.dll is no longer needed as it's been merged with SMILE.dll... Removed unused functions to slim that down as well.
  • Simplified the Graphics Editor by making it quicker to select which 16x16 you're editing (and a few other tweaks I'll mention in the help file should I get to it at some point).  Added the ability to import/export tile tables.  Added the option to grab the palette from a 256 color bitmap.
  • Added an error trap to prevent certain common errors from crashing smile.  So far, only one error has been trapped.  "Subscript out of Range" errors caused by overwriting part of a tile table will no longer crash the program, giving you a chance to fix your problem with the new tile table import/export feature.
  • Drastically improved quality of the Scroll Editor (8x8 mode) view.
  • Quickmet (Room Test) now supports boss/event states.
  • Added support for door dependent FX1's (ie- Room 7AFA3, for example, has raised or lowered lava, depending on which door you enter)
    Implemented a new palette chooser (old one still functions) for quicker color setting (a temporary harmless bug affects the transparent color of samus's suit, but is not visible in-game... Will be fixed soon).
  • BTS can now be changed by hitting # over a tile to type in a BTS value -or- by hitting 0-9 to do the same thing (but start with 0-9 in the textbox that pops-up).
  • Several bug fixes (including the lower-right tile getting screwed up in layer 2), minor tweaks, and a few unfinished ideas.
  • Pointer Editor now gives you a choice about whether to move data or leave it put.

http://jathys.zophar.net/files/smile.zip

Jathys

Here's most of what's new:

• Doubled the speed of the file comparer.
  • Beefed up the BG_Editor (pasting from level editor clipboard, shows actual colors, etc...)
  • Fixed some common crashes involving the FX1 and Layer3 editors.
  • Fixed a few issues in the Samus Pose editor.
  • Update to SOLA (correctly checks for updates, now able to download plugins).
  • Adjusted the brightness settings (Bright and Blazing) to be more usable.

With this, I have to mention the only plugin that is available:
"Watcher" watches a specified ROM address and tells you when the value there changes. I know there are a few locations in the ROM that get "randomly" corrupted from time to time.  With this, you'll be notified when the change happens, so we might be able to narrow down what caused it to change.

Zhs2

The SMILE Help Thread is now obsolete. Please visit Engine Works for making hacking related inquiries from now on...!

JAM

Quote from: Jathys on September 23, 2009, 10:53:44 PM
Doubled the speed of the file comparer.
Actually, more than doubled. It works in 8-9 times faster with unchanged data on my CPU.

Jathys

Quote from: JAM on April 09, 2010, 11:54:50 PM
Actually, more than doubled. It works in 8-9 times faster with unchanged data on my CPU.

"Doubled" was just an approximation (though I'm glad to hear you have faster results). The new method slows down the more a rom has been altered (the old method was slow, but had no slow down). Even on a hack like Redesign though, the new method is still faster though, so I'm happy. Did a test comparing Super Metroid to a Super Mario rom... Can't remember the results, but it was just barely faster, iirc.