News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Open Doors

Started by idle, November 23, 2023, 09:11:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idle

Open Doors: Super Metroid half-hack where all of the doors are open.  If that's not enough, there are additional game mechanic changes:
- Blue/green gates are removed.
- Super and power bomb blocks are replaced by shot blocks.
- Shinesparks/blue suit can go horizontally through shot blocks.
- Bomb and crumble blocks are shootable.
If that's too much, there's also a "Doors Only" option where the only game mechanic change is the open doors (and also Zebes starts out awake with morph ball available).  This hack offers different routing options and speedrunning strats both with and without the Doors Only option.

Credit ShinyZeni with the idea, and InsaneFirebat for multiple resources including the Map and True Completion verification built-in (minus door verification since they're already all open!)  I also received help from several others: PJBoy for the disassembly, kara for the endgame reduce flashing patches, NobodyNada and Sniq for understanding of glitches so I could fix the yapping maw crash, Chabo for eternal spikesuit (that patch isn't built in, but it is compatible and was useful for testing!)  I'm sure there are others as well; thank you!

I am releasing version 1.3 (attached to this post), but I expect more updates will be coming in the future.  The remaining gates/shutters aren't obtrusive but I'd still like them removed.  I'd also like to make a few room adjustments to facilitate longer shinesparks, and perhaps a few easter eggs too.

Feel free to post suggestions.  It'd be neat if Open Doors could patch on top of other Vanilla+ hacks.  The door removal is mostly generic, although some of the other touchups and modifications may conflict.  Still if there's enough interest to make Open Doors compatible with a specific hack, it would provide some motivation!

Good luck have fun, and for some of you Happy Thanksgiving!

BuggMann

You are more than welcome to use any of my hacks if the demand is there. (obviously I can help as needed)

NateTheGameK

It already seems to work with most vanilla+ hacks (or, more properly, ones without a lot of custom ASM)

The open doors patch is compatible with Mirrortroid,  otherRotation, Rotation, Eternal Spikesuit/Bluesuit as mentioned, Oxide, and VARIA randomizers.

The following are notably NOT compatible with the following (the results are pretty funny, images are in the .zip):

Nature - Spawns you on an elevator in the middle of one of the Tourian Metroid rooms (I believe the third room), and you get spawnkilled.

Ascent - Literally just crashes when you try to load in. It shifts between glitchy looking pixel art and an orange screen.

Project Base - Just crashes, though this one has a more formal crash screen.

UptroidDown - Another crash screen.

I would also assume hacks such as VITALITY, Subversion, and Junkoid wouldn't work, though I don't have those in my roms folder.

idle

Quote from: NateTheGameK on November 25, 2023, 10:10:06 AM
The open doors patch is compatible with Mirrortroid,  otherRotation, Rotation,

Interesting, I wasn't expecting those to be compatible.  I pulled down the patches for those and compared what parts of ROM were modified with Open Doors v1.3 and there were some overlaps... but it's true overlaps doesn't automatically mean the hack won't work.  There's probably some oddities, but good to know it's mostly compatible.

Thanks for testing out these hack combinations!

FWIW I did make a more generic version of the patch that only applies the open doors mechanics.  I'd rather have the main version be compatible, but still I'll post this here in case someone really wants one of those incompatible hacks to work (which they might not anyway)

idle

Version 1.4 now available.  Changes since v1.3:
- Timed/shootable gates removed
- Speed blocks are now shootable
- Screw attack now breaks all shootable blocks
- Pants Room can be fully navigated from any door
- Ice Beam Gate Room scroll PLM added
- GT Max 138% verification added

Additional thanks to RT-55J and kyzentun for feedback, Avalanche for gates removal, and PJBoy for various resources including the fix wall jump with screw attack patch (also applied in v1.4)

idle

There is a showcase coming up to celebrate the 30th Anniversary of Super Metroid NTSC release, and the Open Doors hack is going to be featured!  It's happening in just a few weeks.  Come and cheer on Kyzentun running Open Doors 138%, or any of the other runners.  Here's the full schedule:
https://horaro.org/sm30th-showcase/schedule

idle

The SM Practice Hack 2.6.0 has been ported to Open Doors.  Patch files attached.

I was hoping to also port over presets; at least the GT max 138% route presets.  However that is taking longer than anticipated; it won't be done in time for the 30th anniversary showcase (starting later today! https://www.twitch.tv/shinyzeni).  Thus posting this now.  I will post a later update when presets are updated.

Many other standard practice rom features are supported.  There are three patch files here but you only need one.  FXPak and some modern emulators can handle the full SaveStates version.  Many modern emulators support the TinyStates version.  Only a few older emulators like the SNES classic must use the plain version.  For more help, visit the practice hack website: https://smpractice.speedga.me/help

idle

I just realized I posted beta versions of the practice hack.  There's a few bugs (for example kraid and phantoon don't have their normal introduction/waiting period) and tiny states probably doesn't work.

I'm posting new versions here and will delete the attachments in my post from yesterday.  Sorry for the mixup!