News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

XGA: updates I guess...

Started by Dinar87, August 29, 2023, 09:38:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TobiMikami

Damn dude, this project was looking fire too! Don't give up so easily, fam. It's totally worth the upgrade. What are you using Studio 1.4 still? I paid for my copy outright, I still own it, it's fully capable of doing everything and anything I want for my Prime 2D project, which GM 8 was not capable of. My venture is a considerably extensive and complex project, I would think if it's suitable for Prime 2D it should be plenty suitable for your project too! Windows uses .exe files, an .exe is an .exe, it's not gonna go obsolete. YoYo Games just loves their exgortionsitic practices of subscription based models, we used to buy the disc and physically own the software. Then it went to digital download, but we owned it. Now, they own us. We have nothing, they have all the power, it's not our software, we're only paying to borrow it, soon they'll wanna rent us our own code too...

Dinar87

Sorry for late reply, but I WILL go back to this game! I just want to upgrade my pc first! Even if I don't know for sure it's Game Maker Studio that's slow and not my pc....considering everything else on my pc is unbearably slow...it's probably my pc.

Dinar87

Quote from: TobiMikami on January 13, 2024, 02:16:12 PM
Damn dude, this project was looking fire too! Don't give up so easily, fam. It's totally worth the upgrade. What are you using Studio 1.4 still? I paid for my copy outright, I still own it, it's fully capable of doing everything and anything I want for my Prime 2D project, which GM 8 was not capable of. My venture is a considerably extensive and complex project, I would think if it's suitable for Prime 2D it should be plenty suitable for your project too! Windows uses .exe files, an .exe is an .exe, it's not gonna go obsolete. YoYo Games just loves their exgortionsitic practices of subscription based models, we used to buy the disc and physically own the software. Then it went to digital download, but we owned it. Now, they own us. We have nothing, they have all the power, it's not our software, we're only paying to borrow it, soon they'll wanna rent us our own code too...

I don't think it will be that bad. Unlike on consoles and mobile, pc gamers have shown can at least vote with their wallets to an extent. Otherwise the epic games store would've succeeded and we'd all be paying for internet access like on consoles. So if they did stuff like running from the cloud so we'd have no control, a significant amount of pc users would retaliate.

Exorion

After installing the game it simply did not want to start at all. Saw a black window for a fraction of a second and nothing afterwards. Almost gave up but I found a fix for that: simply restarting my PC solved the issue. Yes, really stupid.

So in case someone has the same issue and is looking for a solution: try restarting. Maybe my GPU (AMD) is to blame, dunno.

In any case I'm looking forward to playing it. The style from screens and videos so far looks really dope.

Dinar87

Quote from: Exorion on March 12, 2024, 01:10:46 PM
After installing the game it simply did not want to start at all. Saw a black window for a fraction of a second and nothing afterwards. Almost gave up but I found a fix for that: simply restarting my PC solved the issue. Yes, really stupid.

So in case someone has the same issue and is looking for a solution: try restarting. Maybe my GPU (AMD) is to blame, dunno.

In any case I'm looking forward to playing it. The style from screens and videos so far looks really dope.

You can play it already on itch.io btw.
https://dinar87.itch.io/xga

Dinar87

GUYS I'VE FINISHED BUILDING MY NEW GAMING PC!!!!!!! IT'S SO MUCH MORE POWERFUL NOW!!!!!!!!!!  :grin:  :twisted: :heheh:https://imgur.com/7ZokeaU

UPDATE!!

I've made a bunch of new changes too!

-fixed some climbing up ledges that weren't smooth + some instances of climbing ledges (mainly in main sector tutorial area, right side pathway) the camera didn't follow you and then it snaps into its correct position, instead of just following you as you climb.
-managed to catch the issue for the entrance to tutorial area bug. Keeps going from -1 to -0.4 and then back to -1. Because the camera's x value is being floored so the subpixel progress is lost. (6/6/24)
-fixed all ledge climbing bugs. (7/6/24)
-correct maptile nows displays for top of rm_trueintro_1_1. (7/6/24)
-removed "difficulty select" menu screen since it's irrelevant. (7/6/24)
-dialog for bio-corp soldiers added (7/6/24)
-weakling npc doesn't rapidly turn to you upon entry (from left side at least) (7/6/24)
-intro alarm sfx loops properly now (7/6/24)
-redrew the xga container thingy so it looks like no one is observing. Because they aren't supposed to let the robot near xga, but they're lazy and don't care. (8/6/24)
-when player wakes up after xga outbreak, no longer briefly see old player sprites for like 1 frame (8/6/24)
-cave room with purple jump dude under stalactite made to be easier to hit with stalactite. (8/6/24)
-added gas sfx for player waking up animation (8/6/24)
-xga whip attack redrawn so the whip is lower and actually hits the player (10/6/24)
-xga now alternates attacks randomly so there's more variety (10/6/24)
-xga stops chasing when going to save rooms and music fades out (10/6/24)
-sector 1 crystal caves corrupted now has different background (10/6/24)
-sector 1 stalkers now properly follow player and don't bite at thin air anymore (10/6/24)

Dinar87

Learning more about shader coding.

Here's the code

elol

Where can I get your game with the recent update?

Dinar87

Working on a new background.

Dinar87

??????????????????????????????????????????

H A M

When will this game be open-source? And can you use UndertaleModTool on this?

VacantShadeGames

Considering that this game has good potential as a commercial product, I don't think we should expect it to go open-source anytime soon. But that's totally up to Dinar to decide!

And regardless if any modding tools work or not, asking how the author feels about modding first would probably be the kind thing to do. :wink:

Dinar87

Quote from: H A M on July 28, 2024, 09:32:01 AM

I'm not sure how I would achieve this while also being able to sell my game. I would want my game to be open source, but I would feel bad if someone took my game and started selling it as their own game. I'm not sure what the different licenses for copyright are. If there was a license that let me sell the game and people could mod it but not be allowed to sell it, then that would be good.

Also I had not heard of UndertaleModTool before.

Dinar87

Quote from: VacantShadeGames on July 28, 2024, 11:34:23 AM
Considering that this game has good potential as a commercial product, I don't think we should expect it to go open-source anytime soon. But that's totally up to Dinar to decide!

And regardless if any modding tools work or not, asking how the author feels about modding first would probably be the kind thing to do. :wink:

Thanks  :yay:

alexman25

Quote from: Dinar87 on July 28, 2024, 01:51:56 PM

Open-source licensing specifically allows people to redistribute the code as they please, so that's gonna be a no-go. If my research serves me right, I believe what you should do instead is go with a more standard licensing option, and just include the source code with the game. It's still your intellectual property, like the game itself, so it by default will be protected from being sold and redistributed (Especially if you get it legally registered). You'll still also have full discretion as to when and when not to take action against someone; if someone isn't doing anything naughty with it even though it technically violated the license, you can just choose to ignore it!

Regardless, if you do share the source code, people are going to use it for malicious purposes. They WILL resell or pirate it; criminals don't exactly care what is and isn't legal. My suggestion is to not share the source code for the first year or two after release, ensuring that you're safe during the period most likely to have the highest volume of sales.

H A M

Quote from: Dinar87 on July 28, 2024, 01:51:13 PM

I'm not sure how I would achieve this while also being able to sell my game. I would want my game to be open source, but I would feel bad if someone took my game and started selling it as their own game. I'm not sure what the different licenses for copyright are. If there was a license that let me sell the game and people could mod it but not be allowed to sell it, then that would be good.

UndertaleModTool is for modding GameMaker games like Undertale.

Dinar87

Quote from: alexman25 on July 28, 2024, 02:08:11 PM
Quote from: Dinar87 on July 28, 2024, 01:51:56 PM

Open-source licensing specifically allows people to redistribute the code as they please, so that's gonna be a no-go. If my research serves me right, I believe what you should do instead is go with a more standard licensing option, and just include the source code with the game. It's still your intellectual property, like the game itself, so it by default will be protected from being sold and redistributed (Especially if you get it legally registered). You'll still also have full discretion as to when and when not to take action against someone; if someone isn't doing anything naughty with it even though it technically violated the license, you can just choose to ignore it!

Regardless, if you do share the source code, people are going to use it for malicious purposes. They WILL resell or pirate it; criminals don't exactly care what is and isn't legal. My suggestion is to not share the source code for the first year or two after release, ensuring that you're safe during the period most likely to have the highest volume of sales.

I don't mind piracy since it's inevitable. Nothing I can do about scammers I guess. But your idea about including the source code sounds good!

Dinar87

Quote from: H A M on July 28, 2024, 04:43:34 PM
Quote from: Dinar87 on July 28, 2024, 01:51:13 PM

UndertaleModTool is for modding GameMaker games like Undertale.

Ok I downloaded it but it doesn't seem to work. It wants a "data.win" file but my project folder doesn't have one. It then said my project file had been corrupted. Luckily this was a copy of my current project file, so the original is fine and still works in game maker.

Dinar87

My Game is at SAGE 2024 (seen at 14:02)
https://youtu.be/VJzha3KIV0c?t=842

NEW SAGE 2024 DEMO WITH VARIOUS MINOR UPDATES
https://dinar87.itch.io/xga

Dinar87

All bugs fixed since the Sage2024 build...

- XGA leaving returns original music
- escaping XGA resets the XGA detection orbs so they will work again
- XGA stab death animation after player is already dying glitch, has been fixed
- Boss grace period flashes at lower transparency
- sector 4 one way door skip has been fixed. The door is now further away from the switch so you cannot hit the switch on the otherside anymore.
- killing turtle boss while spinning no longer keeps playing the whirlwind sfx after
- slowed ability usage down to -1 ammo per second
- nerfed nuclearblast a lot!
- nerfed spiked mine damage from 4 to 2
- picking up any upgrades while in the X saber spin animation no longer freezes player
- control remapping now always uses the same input as original 'jump' so it's less confusing
- sector 1 regular ost now loops more smoothly
- The Room Mark is hiding out now doesn't respawn
- Screen size settings are saved when any changes are made. Loaded immediately upon starting the game.
- Audio settings are saved when any changes are made. Loaded immediately upon starting the game.
- Control Remapping settings are saved when any changes are made. Loaded immediately upon starting the game.
- npcs show show "PRESS 'JUMP'" when touching them, showing how to talk to them.
- MASSIVELY sped up intro sequence. No more scientist's notes section, shorter first section with altered dialog.
- nano shield no longer blocks extreme temperatures
- Firebug is smarter now
- boss warning screen now covers whole screen instead of having a bit missing on the edge
- bugspider shockwave blast sfx lasts the full length now
- movement scripts
-fixed visual issue with using the trams in XGA
-made enemies like the sector1 toads walk and stop properly over ledges.
-[FIXED] (midgame I assume) if you mash interact/jump/talk during the cutscene immediately after the dialogue box closes, the dialogue box will reopen. This also causes the text to be displaced when the cutscene ends if the dialogue box is still open. This apparently also hard-locks the game, leaving you unable to do anything except close and reopen it as you can't open the menu during cutscenes.
-fixed music only playing once glitch by removing sndID from 'Music_Looping()' function and just using global.sector_music instead.