News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Minitroid

Started by Noxus, February 06, 2023, 07:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noxus

Super Minitroid

Story: You are Samus, only Mini!  :yay:

I was thinking of calling this "So Little Samus", but I didn't want to risk any copyright or trademark infringement by site management.

So, I was looking at the Varia Randomizer site, and saw that there was a cool mini Samus sprite you could change into. But the thing was, her jump, speed, physics etc weren't proportionate to her size. Some parts are still kind of jank, but eh, it's a hack. Have fun! A little fun anyways  :colonrightv:

Special thanks for help and asm stuff:
Smiley
Benox
oI27
Black Falcon
Kyzentum (sprite)

H A M

gunship is colored differently and there is no ceres

Scyzer

Good fun!
The only downfall for me is that Samus's horizontal speed when running off a ledge, jumping from a standstill, or after turning around while in the air feels way too slow, even for mini Samus. It makes it soooo much harder to wall jump up to ledges just out of reach, since you can barely reach a wall one tile away from your start point unless you do a running jump.

Quote from: H A M on February 06, 2023, 09:54:52 PM
mf are you high?

TobiMikami

Quote from: Scyzer on February 07, 2023, 07:58:28 AM
Quote from: H A M on February 06, 2023, 09:54:52 PM
mf are you high?
Ok thank God I'm not the only one who didn't understand wtf he was talking about lmao. Maybe he's colorblind.

ANNYWAYS back on topic, how does this mod affect the beam/physics? is it like perfectly to scale 1:1? I feel like Samus would be hella floaty to make some of the jumps without the tile size being shrunk, looks like a really well done adaption though, props for that.

Oi27

Quote from: Scyzer on February 07, 2023, 07:58:28 AM
The only downfall for me is that Samus's horizontal speed when running off a ledge, jumping from a standstill, or after turning around while in the air feels way too slow, even for mini Samus. It makes it soooo much harder to wall jump up to ledges just out of reach, since you can barely reach a wall one tile away from your start point unless you do a running jump.
second this; horizontal air speed is odd.

neen

there is also a bug that can occur in frog speedway (and other places i believe) where wave beam can hit offscreen or out-of-bounds PLMs and absolutely fuck shit up, causing the player to go out of bounds. see here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM1Z-xeAbeU

also can occur in double chamber with just a missile (and other ways, as shown):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PAnSAjlKR8

Noxus

SnakekillerX

This is a really interesting idea, and I'm surprised at how well the hitboxes work with the terrain (for the most part). 
Also.. the fact that bomb jumping actually works was pretty surprising to me, it looks hilarious.

While I want to play this hack all the way through I found it too tedious to play early on for a number of reasons..

1)  I soft locked in the 2nd room on the way down to the bomb upgrade.
You should place a missile block blocking the path down or just remove the bomb block requirement to get back out.

2)  Jumping feels slightly too low.
Often you take a running jump and it seems like your jump was high enough visually, but it actually wasn't and you fall back down. 
Most jumps you think you should be able to make are required to be wall jumped, which would be fine if it visually matched up a little nicer and if it weren't for the next issue.

3)  Strange jump speed slow down on horizontal movement.
If you don't get a long enough running start your horizontal jump speed is so slow that it is just painful to play. 
Your jump speed becomes slower than the momentum you had while walking, which feels really awkward and annoying when you fail jumps you feel like you had the speed to make.
Wall jumping becomes problematic as well due to this.

4)  Inconsistencies
     a)  The pink missile door to the bomb upgrade takes 15 missiles, while other pink doors take 10. (at least the only other one I tested)
     b)  The bomb blocks at the top left corner of the first vertical room take multiple bombs to destroy, but other block blocks do not.

That being said, I really loved some other things about the hack.
Obviously being able to stand and run in 1 tile high openings is pretty unique and looks great.
Having crumble blocks take longer to crumble because Samus weighs less is pretty funny and an interesting touch.

I didn't play past this point so I don't know what other shenanigans I would have gotten into. 
Decided to make a custom patch to increase the jump height slightly (1700 Gravity Air) and this felt a little nicer as I was able to more consistently land the jumps that visually looked like I should make, but the horizontal jump speed still kills the entire experience.

The idea of small Samus is great and I think a full blown original map would suit this hack well.
Would love to try this again if updates are made.

Frydi

The items in western sandpit seem to be inaccessible cause the bomb block turned into a crumble block. Not sure if intended but SMART shows no other path, so probably bugged.