News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super metroid Familiar

Started by Tundain, November 06, 2022, 12:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tundain

Here's a hack i made because i felt like it.

Nowadays, with the ongoing rise of the SMART editor, hacking became a lot easier (at least to me for sure).
With how much work SMART does for you behind the scenes, it's a lot easier to make more complex hacks with more new rooms, new layouts etc...
However, this means that basic, vanilla hacks might get more rare (you know those hack which use only the vanilla rooms and a vary vanilla layout).
These hacks were also nice and i know there's ppl out there that like them, so here i just decided to make a basic, non-special vanilla hack, bc i like those as well.

Sm familiar purposely reuses vanilla tiling, the vanilla rooms, vanilla layout. the whole point of this hack is to give you not-so different from vanilla gameplay.
All mechanics also stayed completely vanilla, except item fanfares, because screw item fanfares, always remove those.

So if you like novelty, and creative new challenges, don't play this hack!

If you like a standard, vanilla experience, then this hack is for you.

v1.03:
-fixed bt softlock
-fixed bad scrolling in some spots
-fixed title demos
v1.05
-made the rising liquids rooms considerably more forgiving (mainly by lowering the speed at which they rise)
-made some energy tanks more obvious
-added shortcut in Maridia to reduce backtracking
-fixed annoying dragon room in norfair, now they most certainly won't jump in your face
screenshots:

gr8tmaker

how do you get out of the Bomb Torizo's room, i bombed everywhere and there no way of getting out, is there something i'm missing or did wrong?

Tundain

update coming soon, very sry, i was a bit clumsy

Tomtroid

Is there no respin for this hack?

RT-55J

No respin  :cool: :twisted: :cool: :twisted:

yuriks

Nice hack! I found a few minor issues during my playthrough:

[spoiler]Background tiling error:

Rooms are outside the bounds of where you can scroll the map at the bottom of Maridia:

It's possible to jump into this gap (before you go into the Gravity room) and then unmorph inside of it, which clips you inside the wall in a way that doesn't seem intended. I was able to escape the wall but it seems plausible that someone could get stuck there.

The screen below the ship in Landing Site is empty and that's visible on the bottom pixel row which shows the flashing background through. (However this isn't visible if you crop overscan so debatable if this even counts as an issue.)
[/spoiler]

drb

I like a standard, vanilla experience, and this was a good one, so I compiled a screenshot map.  Better late than never.

Tundain

Yo, didn't expect this to get made for my hack!
That's really cool i gotta say, it's fun to look at the map with the actual tiling of the rooms themselves visible.

Thx a lot!

drb

Quote from: Tundain on September 15, 2023, 10:10:59 AM
Yo, didn't expect this to get made for my hack!

What can I say, I was on a roll after Super Junkoid and grabbed the first full-size hack that I saw.  :grin:

I kid, I kid.  Had a good time with this one and it definitely "deserves" a map.  Glad you liked it.

DonnyDonovan

I've been all over Norfair and Brinstar, beat Kraid, beat Crocomire and obtained his reward, but I seem to need Power Bombs to advance further.  Hint as to where I should be looking for my first pack? 

Tundain

First hint: [spoiler]If by "his reward" you mean grapple beam, then you should look a bit more in norfair to find a beam upgrade before you can find power bombs[/spoiler]
Second hint if first one isn't enough : [spoiler]If you already have ice beam, then head to north-east brinstar, because ice and grapple should allow you to get somewhere[/spoiler]

DonnyDonovan

I do also have the upgrade you reference, and I will look there.  I'm sure that will be enough help.  Thanks!

Edit -- Yup.  That was it.  I had been up there once before but went the other way in that hallway.  Should (and eventualy would) have found that.   

UDtheAesir

6 hours, 98% items found, missed one e-tank and one missile tank. Fun hack, I like it!