News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[SM] Y-Faster 2 Furious

Started by Metaquarius, July 03, 2021, 02:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Metaquarius

Y-FASTER 2 FURIOUS

So why faster? Because you should.
This is the second part of the Y-Faster 2 project. It pays hommage to five more past hacks, memorable for good and bad reasons, with my own twists added of course.

Rules:
This hack follows the same ruleset as the previous entry (link here)

Quick notes for your first run:
- You don't have time to *explore* each area thoroughfully, you have to go fast !
- Choose your first area with maximum care. Some areas are more challenging than others. When things gets angry at you in the first few rooms, it MIGHT be a good idea to restart, unless you are up to the challenge.

UwU:
There is another super secret girl hidden somewhere, required to get the best ending.

Beta Testing Team:
Jefe962's seal of approval : this hack absolutely does not contain ants (it does contain spiders however)

Last but not least, this hack was made for veterans Super Metroid players.
https://metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?hack_id=653
Good luck!

RT-55J

I was gonna submit a crash report for this hack, but then I realized that for some reason pressing the volume up key on my laptop crashed/closed BizHawk regardless of whether a game was loaded or not (lmao).

1:50, 65%, 5/5 orbs

Great hack. Absolutely hilarious.

Metaquarius

BizHawk huh? Game pak is designed for ZSNES
Alright, that's cool. I shall submit it the main site then.

As a side note : if you are struggling in the mysterious maze, here is the hint : watch out for the falling spores color (FX1)
You can also brute force the maze, that works too, might a good idea to save beforehand because that's not the fastest way.

H A M

How to make it work on Snes9x

RT-55J

[spoiler]press some buttons to get past that screen[/spoiler]

H A M

RT-55J

a or b or start idk

As far as I can tell, the "ZSNES is required" message is a joke. I was able to play this perfectly fine with the snes9x core in BizHawk.

If you don't see that screen then you have other issues (might be a rom headering issue).

LexyChan

I actually found a spot that can get you softlocked.

[spoiler]https://youtu.be/gEgDGG7zRkk[/spoiler]

Metaquarius

I think Jiffy found that permastuck too but I was not able to replicate it. A bad slope or something.

Steel Sparkle

Well....
[spoiler]That was an ending xD[/spoiler]

Kremit44

Quote from: LexyChan on July 05, 2021, 07:01:44 AM
I actually found a spot that can get you softlocked.

[spoiler]https://youtu.be/gEgDGG7zRkk[/spoiler]

I got stuck there too.

Kremit44

DonnyDonovan

Yeah this is another great installment in the franchise.  I'm not going to finish the run I'm doing now because I'm exploring too much, but this is a lot of fun.

Edit:  I "get" the maze in the sense of the falling spores determining which way I can go, etc., but I still don't get how to reach the color I need beyond trial and error, and with one direction in particular I've only gotten that to work once and don't even recall how I did it.

LexyChan

Another amusing thing is:

[spoiler]while you escape from Kraid's Lair and the escape music plays the PB explosion actually screams "YES" from Cpt Falcon as well.[/spoiler]

For Speedrunners here are my findings that might be of interest:

[spoiler]For SYL Maze:
Directions mean the door transition, up->up facing door

up, right, up, down, left (wave)
left, left and walk all the way around for bottom (blue)
down, left, right, down and walk right, fall down (white)
right, right, right, left and walk up to (green)

Technically only wave and Ice are required if you do SYL early.

can skip AFC boss/Area to finish[/spoiler]

Still looking for the last secret thing to find my price.

Metaquarius

Version 1.1 submitted to the main site, it contains mostly bug fixes and some slight terrain changes, most noteworthy :

• fixed a bad slope which could cause a permastuck in AFC (as some users have pointed out)
  • level design edits so players cannot cheese AFC eye door puzzles by accident
  • refilling at gunship no longer removes your 575 missyle load
That being said, it is still very possible to get stuck into solid grounds when using Grapple Beam against Angry Sun in some rare situations, you have to be careful.
Thing is [spoiler]grappling onto Angry Sun is needed to enter AFC from SLC, which is a key part of the 101% route I intended.[/spoiler]

Also I am not providing a version without the time limit, that's against the whole purpose of this hack. But if you are really allergic to this kind of stuff, thankfully, you can circumvent it :

• Add this PAR code to your emulator : 7E09DE00 (It just sets IGT minutes to zero)
  • Copy your save file to another slot after finishing an area or two, then go back to it if you think you will not make it (shaktool7 did exactly that)
If I ever come back to this series, I might change the formula a little bit, I may consider setting up a fixed amount of time to complete one single area, regardless of your performance in the other areas. Timer would reset every time you beat a main boss.

H A M

[spoiler]angry fyre (i think) can be skipped[/spoiler]