News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

MFOR - Metroid Fusion Open Randomizer

Started by Kazuto, June 20, 2021, 06:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kazuto

Regarding the last two posts, about multiple of the same pickup being placed: this is an issue specifically with generating more than one seed from a single instance of the randomizer. For now, as a workaround, be sure to close and reopen MFOR.exe between seeds. The first one generated will have correct logic, but subsequent seeds from the same run of the randomizer will not.

Kazuto

The link in the main post has been updated - all of the various issues with seed generation from the previous version should now be fixed.

I would advise anyone who downloaded version 0.9.5 to immediately stop using it and update to the newer version.

MultiDarkSamuses

I'm not sure if this is a known issue, but I've now had this issue with both version 0.9.5 and 0.9.6 (although slightly different in the previous one). In 0.9.5 when restarting the application if I didn't enter a seed it would go through the steps of generating the seed and either it was generating the same seed as before, or silently failing. Hard to tell, although I'm leaning towards the same seed as it worked the first time.

In 0.9.6, leaving the seed blank simply causes it to fail generating a seed with the error "could not generate a game with the current seed and settings. Try another seed value." Does MFOR not check if the seed is blank and then seed the randomiser using current system time? That seems like an oversight, but I guess for now I'll just enter random numbers and hope for some success.

Edit:
After a few attempts, I've been completely unsuccessful at generating any new seeds with the randomiser. This is a fresh download of 0.9.6, and I cannot get it to work. Which is a shame, because I was really enjoying the randomiser.

Brett

I'm having the same issue that the person that posted before me had. I tried nothing in the seeds field, which failed. I tried a number in the seeds, that failed too. Gibberish, Japanese, English, and a number long enough to fill the seeds field: all failed. Is there something I'm doing wrong that's causing the seed generations to fail? I guess I'll stick to the 0.9.5 version of the randomizer for the time being. Sorry to tell you that, Kazuto.

Kazuto

Leaving the seed field empty will use a random value for the seed, though it's come to light that the generator is not making multiple attempts to generate a seed with the value, as it was before. It's currently only doing one attempt, and "failing" if it can't generate a game on the first pass. Keep trying with the seed field blank and it should eventually gen something. In the meantime, I AM working on fixing it.

Kazuto

Oops, forgot to post yesterday: the randomizer has been updated, and the latest version should have all of the seed generation problems fixed! Check the first post to download v0.9.7

nisekoishi

Love the randomizer so far but the one thing that bothers me is the massive amount of potential softlocks. An option to slightly alter certain rooms (like changing the speed blocks into crumble blocks in the room after serris) would do wonders since it really sucks going down to fight a boss or something and getting stuck because they didnt drop the required powerup. Also the option to always be able to charge your beam would be nice since it will prevent you from getting softlocked vs bosses if you happen to run out of missiles.

Jaylow7

So I'm uncertain if I have a broken seed or the game just requires something I don't know how to do.

Randomizer version 0.9.7, default settings (difficulty 0, require main missiles, other boxes not checked)
seed 202109290105

Full spoiler log is attached.

Items I have: Morph, Bombs, Main Missile, Super Missile, Diffusion Missile, Hi-Jump, Space Jump, Speed Booster,  Charge/Wide/Wave beam

The next step in the logic according to the spoiler log is to get Varia from S1-09-04
This, apparently, is a room above and accessed from the room of the boss that gives you Charge in vanilla.
A room I never knew existed until I checked the maps included with the randomizer and am unable to figure out how to enter.

Varia suit logically locks the rest of my progression:
        "Wide Core-X": "MainPowerBombs", - This is in a heated area of sector 3, need Varia to get here
        "Mega Core-X": "ScrewAttack",  - This is the boss that has Varia in vanilla, route requires power bombs since the SA-X isn't around to blow the blocks up for you in that one room like it does in vanilla.
        "Item S5-0F-07": "GravitySuit", - Route requires passing through multiple icy rooms, so Varia is required.
        "Item S6-0E-04": "PlasmaBeam"

MrMetroidDread

Quote from: Jaylow7 on September 29, 2021, 06:14:52 AM
So I'm uncertain if I have a broken seed or the game just requires something I don't know how to do.

Randomizer version 0.9.7, default settings (difficulty 0, require main missiles, other boxes not checked)
seed 202109290105

Full spoiler log is attached.

Items I have: Morph, Bombs, Main Missile, Super Missile, Diffusion Missile, Hi-Jump, Space Jump, Speed Booster,  Charge/Wide/Wave beam

The next step in the logic according to the spoiler log is to get Varia from S1-09-04
This, apparently, is a room above and accessed from the room of the boss that gives you Charge in vanilla.
A room I never knew existed until I checked the maps included with the randomizer and am unable to figure out how to enter.

Varia suit logically locks the rest of my progression:
        "Wide Core-X": "MainPowerBombs", - This is in a heated area of sector 3, need Varia to get here
        "Mega Core-X": "ScrewAttack",  - This is the boss that has Varia in vanilla, route requires power bombs since the SA-X isn't around to blow the blocks up for you in that one room like it does in vanilla.
        "Item S5-0F-07": "GravitySuit", - Route requires passing through multiple icy rooms, so Varia is required.
        "Item S6-0E-04": "PlasmaBeam"

You need to shinespark above where the chozo statue was.

https://youtu.be/3dKfp62go9c

Watch 3:35 and you'll see how to do it.

Jaylow7

Okay now I remember that spot from having watched a few 100% speedruns. It's an e-tank in vanilla which is why it counts as a major location and can have progression items.

So this seed then is unbeatable for me due to physical limitations. I'll try a new one and see how that goes.

chadius

Ball Bomb Moto Zoro

"Data S0": "MainMissiles"
"Item S0-19-06": "MorphBall"
"Charge Core-X": "Bombs"
"Item S1-0D-02": "VariaSuit"
"Data S2": "ScrewAttack"
"Item S3-0B-02": "MainPowerBombs"
"Item S2-0C-04": "HiJumpBoots"

How do I get the HiJumpBoots? It replaces the energy tank above Nettori (the Plasma Beam plant boss.)
But I have no way to climb back up lower Sector 2.

Will try a new seed.

MrMetroidDread

Quote from: chadius on October 01, 2021, 07:38:33 PM
Ball Bomb Moto Zoro

"Data S0": "MainMissiles"
"Item S0-19-06": "MorphBall"
"Charge Core-X": "Bombs"
"Item S1-0D-02": "VariaSuit"
"Data S2": "ScrewAttack"
"Item S3-0B-02": "MainPowerBombs"
"Item S2-0C-04": "HiJumpBoots"

How do I get the HiJumpBoots? It replaces the energy tank above Nettori (the Plasma Beam plant boss.)
But I have no way to climb back up lower Sector 2.

Will try a new seed.

If you look left of where Hi Jump is at the map for sector 2 - S2-07-04, the area below the blue door, in the morph ball area you can use Power bombs to break the block and use ScrewAttack to wall jump into it.

Or you don't even need Power bombs, just ScrewAttack, if you go to S2-07-0A, this area with a tall empty room,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IZBQYxrDCI

ScrewAttack ignores the all jumping rules and gives you infinite wall jumps like how Super Metroid did it, so you can wall jump up there, then you keep going up after the save station room, go too the right and you'll reach the room.

chadius

Whoa! I didn't even realize the Screw Attack lets me single wall jump again. Thanks!

tAether

Isn't the Data Room in Sector 5 supposed to give you two items?

MultiDarkSamuses

Quote from: tAether on October 04, 2021, 04:40:36 PM
Isn't the Data Room in Sector 5 supposed to give you two items?

While in vanilla Fusion the data room does give you two different items, because of the limitations with taking out the event system, the sector 5 data room only holds a single item.

tAether

How does the randomizer account for the missing item though?

MultiDarkSamuses

Quote from: tAether on October 05, 2021, 12:39:56 PM
How does the randomizer account for the missing item though?

Two minor items are taken out of the pool, one is replaced with ice beam and the other doesn't exist because there's one fewer possible item locations due to sector 5's data room only containing a single item.

chadius

Powamp Hive Deck Nova
    "Data S0": "MorphBall",
    "Data S2": "MainMissiles",
    "Item S1-0D-02": "ChargeBeam",
    "Charge Core-X": "WaveBeam",
    "Item S0-19-06": "Bombs",
    "Arachnus": "IceBeam",
    "Item S4-09-02": "SpeedBooster",
    "Data S3": "PlasmaBeam",
    "Item S6-06-08": "ScrewAttack",

There's a purple biowall in Sector 6 that's in the way. It requires a super missile to destroy. How do I enter Sector 6 to get the- OOOOH Shinespark to the rescue!

I love this randomizer - there are so many ideas I never would have thought of.

...Hmm, now how do I get out of here?
OH, ANOTHER SHINESPARK!

chadius

Big thanks to this randomizer. Taught me a lot about where to squeeze in shinesparks, lol.
Got me in the mood for some Metroid Dread. Time to stare at my Switch until it unlocks.

Eiyaa90

Either im doing something wrong.. or on Full Randomization.. nothing looks random..
also noticed the json files .. but dont know what to do with those or how to open them? help would be appreciated

MultiDarkSamuses

Quote from: Eiyaa90 on October 20, 2021, 02:23:03 AM
Either im doing something wrong.. or on Full Randomization.. nothing looks random..
also noticed the json files .. but dont know what to do with those or how to open them? help would be appreciated

JSON files are plain-text files, you can open them in any text editor of your choice (my suggestion would be Notepad++, but Notepad works too). Or you can open a new tab in your web browser and drag-and-drop the JSON there for prettier formatting. What do you mean nothing looks random, though? How many items have you checked? The randomiser takes out the intro sequence and navigation rooms, and changes the starting navigation script to tell you how to beat the randomiser.

If none of that has happened, then you're not playing the generated randomiser ROM, you're playing the vanilla one. ROMs are generated into the seeds folder.

Eiyaa90

Quote from: MultiDarkSamuses on October 20, 2021, 08:20:48 AM
Quote from: Eiyaa90 on October 20, 2021, 02:23:03 AM

JSON files are plain-text files, you can open them in any text editor of your choice (my suggestion would be Notepad++, but Notepad works too). Or you can open a new tab in your web browser and drag-and-drop the JSON there for prettier formatting. What do you mean nothing looks random, though? How many items have you checked? The randomiser takes out the intro sequence and navigation rooms, and changes the starting navigation script to tell you how to beat the randomiser.

If none of that has happened, then you're not playing the generated randomiser ROM, you're playing the vanilla one. ROMs are generated into the seeds folder.

I feel dumb.. i didnt think to check the seeds folder as i thought it was just more text files.
Thank you!!

I'm disappointed in the lack of a README file. After scrolling through the pages of replies posted here, I can't find any instructions on how to generate a randomized game properly. I really hope the next version will be more clear about what to do and where files get created.

FelixWright

Quote from: Karma on October 22, 2021, 03:02:45 PM
I'm disappointed in the lack of a README file. After scrolling through the pages of replies posted here, I can't find any instructions on how to generate a randomized game properly.

:neutral: Were you looking hard enough
Quote from: Cosmic on June 26, 2021, 10:39:20 AM
MFOR is a command line program, it has no GUI. I'll walk you through how to use it.

1. Rename a copy of your North American/Australian (UA) Metroid Fusion ROM to Metroid Fusion (U).gba and put it in the data subfolder.
2. Double click MFOR.exe. It will take some time. Once it is done, the randomized ROM will be located in the seeds subfolder.

Enjoy!

Quote from: Karma on October 22, 2021, 03:02:45 PM
I really hope the next version will be more clear about what to do and where files get created.
Newest release uses a GUI so creating a seed should be very straight-forward. Generated seeds will appear in the Seeds subfolder.

GB-CG

I may came across a bugged seed: 8144461926006685530 on v0.9.7.

[spoiler=MFOR - AQA Vines Powamp Habitation.json]{
    "MFOR Version": "0.9.7",
    "Seed": "8144461926006685530",
    "Settings": {
        "Difficulty": 2,
        "Missiles require main launcher": false,
        "Item pool": "Full randomization",
        "Allow logical damage runs": true,
        "Separated security levels": false,
        "Power Bombs require mains": true,
        "Power Bombs require normal Bombs": true,
        "Single wall jump": false,
        "Infinite Bomb jumping": false,
        "Split Varia/Gravity features": false,
        "E-Tanks": 20,
        "Missile Tanks": 46,
        "Power Bomb Tanks": 32
    },
    "Item order": {
        "Data S0": "IceMissileItem",
        "Item S0-14-07": "MorphBall",
        "Item S1-0A-04": "GravitySuit",
        "Item S1-07-04": "MainMissiles",
        "Item S0-13-07": "ChargeBeam",
        "Item S2-04-03": "WideBeam",
        "Item S0-0C-09": "DiffusionItem",
        "Item S4-12-07": "HiJumpBoots",
        "Item S1-11-02": "Bombs",
        "Item S1-0C-07": "VariaSuit",
        "Item S1-0D-02": "SpaceJump",
        "Item S4-0E-02": "IceBeam",
        "Item S5-0E-08": "ScrewAttack",
        "Item S3-11-04": "SuperMissileItem",
        "Item S5-0B-01": "WaveBeam",
        "Box-2": "MainPowerBombs",
        "Item S4-0C-06": "PlasmaBeam"
    },
    "Items": {
        "Arachnus": "Energy Tank",
        "Box-2": "MainPowerBombs",
        "Charge Core-X": "Energy Tank",
        "Data S0": "IceMissileItem",
        "Data S2": "Energy Tank",
        "Data S3": "Power Bomb Tank",
        "Data S4": "Missile Tank",
        "Data S5": "Energy Tank",
        "Item S0-05-08": "Power Bomb Tank",
        "Item S0-05-16": "Energy Tank",
        "Item S0-08-0B": "Missile Tank",
        "Item S0-09-04": "Power Bomb Tank",
        "Item S0-0C-09": "DiffusionItem",
        "Item S0-0E-07": "Missile Tank",
        "Item S0-0E-0B": "Power Bomb Tank",
        "Item S0-13-07": "ChargeBeam",
        "Item S0-14-07": "MorphBall",
        "Item S0-15-10": "Missile Tank",
        "Item S0-16-12": "Power Bomb Tank",
        "Item S0-18-06": "Energy Tank",
        "Item S0-19-06": "Energy Tank",
        "Item S1-03-0A": "Missile Tank",
        "Item S1-05-03": "Power Bomb Tank",
        "Item S1-06-03": "Energy Tank",
        "Item S1-07-00": "Power Bomb Tank",
        "Item S1-07-04": "MainMissiles",
        "Item S1-08-0B": "Power Bomb Tank",
        "Item S1-09-04": "Missile Tank",
        "Item S1-0A-04": "GravitySuit",
        "Item S1-0C-07": "VariaSuit",
        "Item S1-0D-02": "SpaceJump",
        "Item S1-0D-08": "Energy Tank",
        "Item S1-11-02": "Bombs",
        "Item S2-00-05": "Energy Tank",
        "Item S2-02-0E": "Energy Tank",
        "Item S2-03-0C": "Missile Tank",
        "Item S2-04-03": "WideBeam",
        "Item S2-04-04": "Missile Tank",
        "Item S2-04-0B": "Power Bomb Tank",
        "Item S2-05-00": "Power Bomb Tank",
        "Item S2-05-01": "Power Bomb Tank",
        "Item S2-05-08": "Missile Tank",
        "Item S2-05-0A": "Power Bomb Tank",
        "Item S2-08-08": "Energy Tank",
        "Item S2-09-03": "Power Bomb Tank",
        "Item S2-09-05": "Power Bomb Tank",
        "Item S2-0C-04": "Energy Tank",
        "Item S2-0C-0B": "Missile Tank",
        "Item S2-10-0C": "Energy Tank",
        "Item S2-10-0E": "Power Bomb Tank",
        "Item S3-00-05": "Missile Tank",
        "Item S3-01-02": "Energy Tank",
        "Item S3-03-04": "Missile Tank",
        "Item S3-06-06": "Missile Tank",
        "Item S3-07-0B": "Missile Tank",
        "Item S3-0A-01": "Missile Tank",
        "Item S3-0B-02": "Missile Tank",
        "Item S3-0B-04": "Power Bomb Tank",
        "Item S3-0B-06": "Power Bomb Tank",
        "Item S3-0E-0A": "Missile Tank",
        "Item S3-0F-00": "Power Bomb Tank",
        "Item S3-11-04": "SuperMissileItem",
        "Item S3-11-0A": "Energy Tank",
        "Item S3-12-09": "Missile Tank",
        "Item S3-14-03": "Power Bomb Tank",
        "Item S3-14-09": "Missile Tank",
        "Item S4-00-06": "Power Bomb Tank",
        "Item S4-05-03": "Power Bomb Tank",
        "Item S4-06-0E": "Missile Tank",
        "Item S4-07-08": "Power Bomb Tank",
        "Item S4-07-0A": "Power Bomb Tank",
        "Item S4-09-06": "Power Bomb Tank",
        "Item S4-0A-0C": "Power Bomb Tank",
        "Item S4-0B-08": "Missile Tank",
        "Item S4-0C-06": "PlasmaBeam",
        "Item S4-0D-01": "Power Bomb Tank",
        "Item S4-0E-02": "IceBeam",
        "Item S4-0F-06": "Power Bomb Tank",
        "Item S4-12-07": "HiJumpBoots",
        "Item S4-13-07": "Energy Tank",
        "Item S5-03-04": "Missile Tank",
        "Item S5-04-01": "Missile Tank",
        "Item S5-05-01": "Energy Tank",
        "Item S5-05-04": "Energy Tank",
        "Item S5-06-05": "Missile Tank",
        "Item S5-07-0B": "Power Bomb Tank",
        "Item S5-08-07": "Missile Tank",
        "Item S5-0B-01": "WaveBeam",
        "Item S5-0C-07": "Missile Tank",
        "Item S5-0E-08": "ScrewAttack",
        "Item S5-0F-07": "Missile Tank",
        "Item S5-11-05": "Missile Tank",
        "Item S5-12-04": "Power Bomb Tank",
        "Item S5-14-07": "Missile Tank",
        "Item S5-16-04": "Missile Tank",
        "Item S6-01-06": "Missile Tank",
        "Item S6-03-04": "Missile Tank",
        "Item S6-05-03": "Missile Tank",
        "Item S6-05-0B": "Missile Tank",
        "Item S6-06-08": "Missile Tank",
        "Item S6-08-03": "Missile Tank",
        "Item S6-09-05": "Missile Tank",
        "Item S6-0A-06": "Missile Tank",
        "Item S6-0B-09": "Missile Tank",
        "Item S6-0C-08": "Missile Tank",
        "Item S6-0E-03": "Missile Tank",
        "Item S6-0E-04": "Missile Tank",
        "Mega Core-X": "Missile Tank",
        "Nettori": "Missile Tank",
        "Nightmare": "Missile Tank",
        "Ridley": "Missile Tank",
        "Serris": "Power Bomb Tank",
        "Wide Core-X": "Power Bomb Tank",
        "Yakuza": "Energy Tank",
        "Zazabi": "Power Bomb Tank"
    }
}

[/spoiler]

The Plasma beam is behind a Pbomb block in sector 4. The Pbomb data is on Box 2...behind a Pbomb wall. Unless I overlooked something in sector 6, I'm stumped. EDIT: Oh I see, it wanted me to go through the Restricted Lab backwards but virtually no space for me to do a spineshark :lol: Thanks for investigating it, Kazuto.

Also want to say a big thank you for making this. The randomizer is glorious, it's like I finally gained freedom in the game! :grin: