News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

MFOR - Metroid Fusion Open Randomizer

Started by Kazuto, June 20, 2021, 06:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RT-55J

That is Sector 0 (Main Deck), minimap position [19,6] (in hex). That location in particular happens to be the hidden energy tank above Arachnus.

[spoiler=Map][/spoiler]

sloathedemon

i was curious, how often is this going to be updated? Also is there a discord started to keep all this up to date?

shaktool7

If you're looking for 'a' discord for rando talk, the fusion speedrun discord is pretty appropriate (invite: https://discord.gg/fFdcuay)

rawsome1234

Bombs are in sector 0, at (19,06). In the MFOR folder there's a folder called maps. Open the main deck map (as that is sector 0) and you can locate by going to the square 19 on the x and 6 on the y. Presumably you just missed it while going to arachnis

jciii91

Not sure if the seed is impossible but I wanted to post it here to be on the safe side.

I checked Nightmare's item while playing, it's Plasma so I know I need to beat Nightmare so I know I need Grav Suit. Couldn't find Grav anywhere.

Opened the spoiler log, says that Grav is on S1-09-04. If I understand correctly, that's the E-tank above the charge beam.

Issue I am running into is that I can't build up a Shine to access that E-tank location. Can anyone confirm this? I am under the impression I would need plasma beam to clear the two enemies out of the way in the hallway underneath (outside the save room) to clear enough of a runway to successfully build up the shine spark.

Apologies if this turns out to be a false alarm.

EDIT: Just remembered, I do have Supers but I also have the Ice modifier already. So I can't blow the 2 dudes up as I run in.

caauyjdp

Quote from: jciii91 on July 08, 2021, 11:00:45 PM
I am under the impression I would need plasma beam to clear the two enemies out of the way in the hallway underneath (outside the save room) to clear enough of a runway to successfully build up the shine spark.
Just tested, you can kill them fast enough without any beam upgrades, tho it is annoying. Should be possible to do even if you collected ice beam.
But if you have bombs/pb/screw, you can start building speed in their room and go right, there's enough room to build speed there, and a slope.

jciii91

I'll give it a shot. Thank you!

EDIT: Did it! I'm a dummy for not realizing I can use the slope in the hidden room on the right. Thanks again for testing that.

LexyChan

I have a question regarding the Rando itself:

is it possible to use it on Windows 7 or is it only for Windows 8.1 and higher since it requires a certain dll file that seems to be missing for me.

SonowRaevius

Good randomizer for the most part, but, and maybe it was just how my luck with it turned out,  but for some reason I never got ANY progression items from bosses. There were a few soft locks and hard locks I ran into that might be fixed as well.

So far though 8/10 job, keep up the awesome work OP, look forward to doing more seeds and future updates. Hopefully color palette changes will be in the future!

Zeke

First, as I said on the Prime rando discord, this is the best thing forever.

Second, add me to the list of those eagerly awaiting Windows 7 compatibility. (Or has anyone found a workaround?)

Third, I see there are still a couple of state changes in the game; the most impactful seems to be Nightmare's escape. What trips that flag?

Fourth, I think it would be worth experimenting with throwing the security locks into the item pool (and adding the security rooms as locations). This rando currently has a problem of too many locations and not enough worthwhile stuff, due to Fusion's tons of tanks. You can spend a long time not finding anything. Randomizing the locks would help with that and also make seeds much less predictable. (Level 4 might be best kept where it is to avoid making it the Phazon Suit, though.)

Finally, just putting it out there... there's one requirement to beat the game that you're not enforcing yet. Samus is not getting off that station if she hasn't freed the animals...

RT-55J

Trawling through the Fusion speedrun Discord for answers...

For Sector 5:
QuoteGravity + speed is the one trigger for destroyed sector 5. The other is Hijump, wave and yellow locks
iirc

For Sector 2:
Quoteplasma+space breaks cocoons, hijump sets them as cocoons

Nettori determines whether or not lower Sector 2 and the Main Reactor are overgrown.

Other than that I don't think there are any more roomstate shenanigans in rando.

Also hi Zeke.

Swordsmage

Is there any way out of here without the Space Jump? I had to come down here for the Speed Booster, but the Space Jump is locked behind a green door, which I can't unlock without the Speed Booster. I'll use a moon jump code for now, but leaving this here to possibly report an unbeatable seed. 

SomariaMoon

Quote from: Swordsmage on July 15, 2021, 02:30:15 PM
Is there any way out of here without the Space Jump? I had to come down here for the Speed Booster, but the Space Jump is locked behind a green door, which I can't unlock without the Speed Booster. I'll use a moon jump code for now, but leaving this here to possibly report an unbeatable seed. 

Two ideas come to mind, one more likely than the other. First is use speed booster to shinespark out. Second, the one more likely to me, is to use the Screw Attack to break into Sector 5 to unlock the yellow lock, which will unlock the green one.

Swordsmage

Quote from: SomariaMoon on July 16, 2021, 06:22:24 AM
Two ideas come to mind, one more likely than the other. First is use speed booster to shinespark out. Second, the one more likely to me, is to use the Screw Attack to break into Sector 5 to unlock the yellow lock, which will unlock the green one.

Wasn't enough room to Shinespark. Couldn't get to the lower half of Sector 5 where the lock is without the Speed Booster.

RT-55J

This is a known error in the logic that should (hopefully) be fixed in the next update.

However, you might (probably not) still have a chance if you can find a way to open the level 3 locks in Sector 5 (and you don't have split security enabled). You have screw and speed, so that should be possible if you can find Varia.

Belmont

I can't grasp why the exectable doesn't work for me. I made the exception in the windows firewall but the program instantly closes after i executed the file. I can clearly see the command window flashing open and closing the same second. has anyone an idea as to why that could happen? :(

gr8tmaker

by any chance did you re-write your rom to Metroid Fusion (U).gba'cuz that same thing happened to me.

FelixWright

Quote from: gr8tmaker on June 26, 2021, 01:03:12 PM
thanks,it worked  :grin: also it might be a small typo o your side for the nameof the rom should be Metroid Fusion (U).gba there was one extra space, but thank you for the assist. :grin:

Ah I see, you mean between (U) and .gba right?
Sorry for the confusion, that's a consequence of the font that I used.
Metroid Fusion (U).gba

@Belmont I suggest you give this a shot:

Quote from: Cosmic on June 26, 2021, 10:39:20 AM
MFOR is a command line program, it has no GUI. I'll walk you through how to use it.

1. Rename a copy of your North American/Australian (UA) Metroid Fusion ROM to Metroid Fusion (U).gba and put it in the data subfolder.
2. Double click MFOR.exe. It will take some time. Once it is done, the randomized ROM will be located in the seeds subfolder.

Enjoy!

Belmont

also tried that one still the same "error" window pops up and instanstly closes

Pelador

How do you set difficulty to 5? I'm not very good at command line.

Law

Quote from: Pelador on July 18, 2021, 06:04:26 AM
How do you set difficulty to 5? I'm not very good at command line.

In the MFOR directory, you can specify the difficulty flag by adding it at the end of the .\MFOR.exe command:

.\MFOR.exe -difficulty 5

This should apply to any of the optional arguments, so if you wanted to also apply full randomisation with -full, you can combine that with the previous command as:

.\MFOR.exe -difficulty 5 -full

Pelador

Sorry that's not helpful. Your command prompt looks completely different to how mine does.

I get C:Users\pelad> by default when I open it and then no matter what I type alongside it, it doesn't recognise it as a valid command.

For instance I tried C:users\pelad>Desktop\Randomisers\MFOR>MFOR.exe -difficulty 5 -full and it didn't work.

My bad, I didn't understand how to change directories. It works now thanks.

SuperOmega93

I've been enjoying the open randomizer so far. Played and beaten several seeds (about 8). But I finally came across an impossible one (to my knowledge).

Seed: "5248486764856605467" "Gadora Data Nettori Bomb"

The Bombs are located in Sector 5, at coordinates 03, 04. The problem is, that room is locked behind a yellow door, which I cannot get to because all other routes are locked due to Sector 5 being destroyed (I have Gravity Suit).

The only available route requires me to destroy a bomb block, which I cannot Screw Attack to destroy because both spaces beside it are morph-ball size. I can't get there from Sector 6 because I can't unlock Green doors, and I don't have Diffusion missiles (so I can't get there from Sector 4).

And no, I can't get the Power Bomb data because one route is yellow-door, and the other is destroyed (if it weren't, it's also a yellow door).

I tried unlocking red doors, but I can't get out of Sector 4 afterwards (all 3 routes end up as dead-ends).

Edit: Nvm, I can escape through the 4->2 secret passage. Besides, the seed was accidentally deleted, so I can't retry it and figure things out.

Ridley89

been having trouble getting some sort of permission to use the rom.

PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '.\\data\\Metroid Fusion (U).gba'

how am i suppose to get this to work? the file name is exactly how it should be

Beansamus

Found an impossible seed 4764986559953274300. Main missiles are locked behind Arachnus.