News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[SM] Y-Faster 2 Fast

Started by Metaquarius, April 09, 2020, 01:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Metaquarius

Y-FASTER 2 FAST

So why faster? Because you should.
Just like its predecessor, this is a speedrun/race hack but much more ambitious.

Rules:
Defeat 5 main bosses in 5 distinct areas then head to the final boss as fast as possible.
Each area can be completed in one run and in any order (no need to go back and forth between areas to progress).
Once the main boss is defeated, you must rush to the next area.
You don't have any time to spare as you usually do in most exploration oriented hacks as you instantly die when the timer reaches zero.
If you exit an area before beating the main boss, you're doing it wrong.

Advices:
In case you're confused, look at the map - all area maps are available from the start.
The game is designed for veterans in mind and a few techniques may be required depending on your current equipment (mid-air morphing, crouch jumping, double bomb jumping, etc.) - nothing on TAS level rest assured.
Areas feature varying degree of difficulty, if you keep dying or make slow progress, maybe start over with another area first - some areas are brutal when underequipped.
There is a good chance that it will take you a few tries before completing the game under the time limit.
From the knowledge you gathered from your runs, try different routes and find the fastest one overall.

THIS HACK IS NOT EASY : PLAY AT YOUR OWN RISK!
http://metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=578

Beta Testing Team:
-LinkaMeister
-Aran;Jaeger
-Jefe962

mccad

DonnyDonovan

Also the first one is also really fun so if you haven't played that you should.  This should be a nice little quarantine time waster and I am looking forward to giving it a go sometime over the weekend at the latest!

MetroidMst

LexyChan

I think I found a softlock? At least I can't escape with my current equipment anymore:

Edit: nevermind, I got myself unstuck. Still kinda unpleasent.

[spoiler]
Basically I managed to get myself stuck in the wall/floor.

Crouchjumping can unstuck one or at least get samus a bit higher in the floor which allows to bombjump out.

[/spoiler]

Sapphron

Is this getting uploaded to main site at some point so people can review it/access it easier? :bounce:

Metaquarius

Quote from: Sapphron on April 11, 2020, 06:16:57 PM
Is this getting uploaded to main site at some point so people can review it/access it easier? :bounce:
It has been uploaded a few days ago and still awaiting for approval by staff.

Quote from: LexyChan on April 11, 2020, 12:09:08 AM
I think I found a softlock? At least I can't escape with my current equipment anymore:
Yeah sorry for that. I think MetroidMST encoutered the same issue but did reset.

Sapphron

Oh shoot it didn't show up in the Discord channel that we look at for updates. Bot breaks sometimes.

Steel Sparkle

This was a fun hack, thanks for posting.

For the others reading this wondering if this is worth your time. Y should you play this? well... Y not?

LexyChan

Quote from: Metaquarius on April 12, 2020, 02:04:22 AM
Quote from: LexyChan on April 11, 2020, 12:09:08 AM
Yeah sorry for that. I think MetroidMST encoutered the same issue but did reset.

Well I got out so it wasn't a big deal since I'm somewhat used to getting stuck in walls/floors. Usually i try a couple minutes first before I end up resetting.
Overall the hack is actually quite fun, it took me 2 runs to beat it comfortably but I never found varia suit so I might just rerun it a few more times just to see what is actually the right amount of time you need.
I was overwhelmed by the amount of memes nontheless as well as the features you put into this hack for the areas.

Metaquarius

2 runs? Good. That's what I was aiming for. I think the countdown can look intimidating but after the first run, you don't care about it anymore. :^_^:

DonnyDonovan

This does indeed seem quite hard compared to the first one. 

RT-55J

Nice hack. There were a couple of rough spots, but I think I'd have a much better time a second time around now that I relearned the internal logic of some of the source material.

Also, I liked the nod to F-Zero MV. It's surprisingly fitting.

DonnyDonovan

I liked the first one much better.  I appreciate the humor and the meta references to SM hacks and whatnot, and it's clear plenty of work went into this, but it's giving me carpal tunnel.  Too many weird moves, gyrations and precision required.  Too much invisible stuff.  My hands hurt after playing.  The first one you could just explore.  There's a reason people disliked redesign's original physics or homenag's weirdness.  Not my cup of tea.  Maybe I'll still come back at some point and find a route that minimizes frustration, but I haven't found it yet. 

RT-55J

So my first time playing through this my order was:

[spoiler="Order"]YPR :>: Chrystener  :>: Yce Metal :>: Redesygn :>: Hospytal[/spoiler]

I replayed this today in the opposite order, and good heavens the second area I did is a sick joke if you don't have Ice or Supers or a jump upgrade. I applaud the sheer moxie needed to make something that hateful.

(Naturally, this means that next time I'm gonna try doing that area first.)

RT-55J

[spoiler=Update to the previous post]Doing Redesygn first is delightfully devilish and I highly do not recommend it. Literally everything about that area is screaming "Do something else first!", and the reward does not feel proportional to the effort.

(I love it.)[/spoiler]

Metaquarius

@DonnyDonovan : The skill level is definitely higher than the first one. I get that fighting against the physics is not for everyone but that's part of the challenge. If you want a somewhat easier time, you should probably start with [spoiler]Hospytal or Ypr (or Yce Metal... unless suitless underwater is not your thing)[/spoiler]

I noticed a few minor issues watching some recent streams, so an 1.1 update is not out of the question.

DonnyDonovan

Thanks.  I may give it another go.  I didn't mean to come across so negatively, it just wasn't what I was expecting as far as what the hack asks of the player.  The first one is an all-time favorite.  I'm sure it's doing what you set out to do.  I'll likely give it another shot doing the Darkholme part first, maybe Ice Metal second, and see if I have a better experience. 

Metaquarius

There is a certain glitch in Redesygn I am not able to reproduce in either ZSNES or any version of Snes9x I have.
It can be witnessed on this stream : https://www.twitch.tv/videos/590650716
You can notice at the 13:00 mark that the upside down green gate button is missing and actually was moved around two scrolls above. Has someone else encountered the same issue ?

Lunaria

Oh god, you even included that dumbass easter egg for the sequel (that was never made), aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

I don't know if I'll get around to playing this myself, but I did look up a video after I saw this pop up on RH.net.

Metaquarius

Quote from: Lunaria on April 23, 2020, 05:44:08 PM
Oh god, you even included that dumbass easter egg for the sequel (that was never made), aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

I don't know if I'll get around to playing this myself, but I did look up a video after I saw this pop up on RH.net.
Glad you are still around. Let's make Ice Metal 2 together! I'll give you some cake. :heheh:

Lunaria

Not really interested in diving into Super Metroid hacking again, tbh.

DonnyDonovan

So I did mess with this quite a bit more over the weekend and I have a greater appreciation.  I had fun.  I haven't won yet but I beat four areas so I think I could if I decide to do so.  Here was my order:  [spoiler]hospytal, yce metal, YPR, chrystener, redesygn (didn't finish)[/spoiler]

This seemed like a good order as far as keeping difficulty as minimal as possible. 

GaRan

Awesome hack!
[spoiler]I found all items and the percentage was 101% :grin: why not 100%?[/spoiler]

DonnyDonovan

I beat it today.  My initial impressions were wrong.  I really like this hack.