News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid Advance

Started by FlamingCobra, February 15, 2012, 05:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeadSkullzJr

Hello everyone, recently I haven't done a whole lot with the project. I was told that the project is too lucrative, since I don't have a lot of knowledge for the GBA like I do the DS, it would take forever just to get anywhere with it. I am not saying the project is dead, but I am not saying it will be out anytime soon either. I need to gather more knowledge than I have currently to really put more effort into something like this. This project is definitely in need of some really big maneuvers (a lot of assembly especially) in order to even make sense for something like the GBA. The Zero Mission engine has its limits, I haven't exactly figured that out yet, I am still working on my graphics design skills currently because I honestly hate reusing content, I like being original/unique. So for the time being, the project will be on hold for a while.

When I picked this project up, I sort of underestimated ROM hacking. I went in thinking it wouldn't be so hard, figured MAGE was all I needed for anything, and a couple other tools for graphics and some small tweaking here and there. I was wrong completely, I was missing a lot of concrete knowledge, hell I didn't know how to deal with hex at the time, which is literally the core of ROM hacking. Back in 2017 I started a project of my own, I decided to maintain the Nintendo DS cheat databases for the public, in doing so I learned a lot over time, I learned how to deal with hex finally (I am able to make my own cheats, improve cheats, etc.), and I learned how to deal with some assembly with it as well. What relevance does this have to the project you may ask? Well, I also learned patience, I learned dedication, and I learned that if there is something I want to happen, I have to make it happen, most importantly, I learned to keep in touch with the community, no I may not have here, but I can assure you that I keep my end up on my part for the other work I do. I learned a few other things as well, however I won't list them here as it's more personal lessons for the future.

I want to thank those who still have hope for the project, as I said, it's not dead but on hold for a while. I want to thank biospark for his kickass software, I plan to play with it some more to learn more and more. I want to thank everyone though because you all helped teaching me about ROM hacking, what's involved, etc. I really hope I can get what I need to really take off into the ROM hacking scene.

dewhi100

Ik the feeling. ROM hacking is a labor of love for sure. And there always ends up being more labor than one expects.