News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid Advance

Started by FlamingCobra, February 15, 2012, 05:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlamingCobra

I decided my hack is now significant enough to post it here.

Super Metroid! For Gameboy Advance.

In the 5th screenshot, I showed how I eventually did some color palette changes on Brinstar so it looks darker and creepier, like in Super Metroid.

New intro text:
Planet Zebes... Here I first battled
the Metroids and defeated the Space
Pirate leader, Mother Brain. I next
fought the Metroids on their homeworld,
SR388... After nearly committing a
genocide of their species, it seems
ironic that I must return here...
and save the last one.
                       -Samus Aran-

An incomplete-demo-ips-patch-type-thing is attached at the end of this post. There are two morph ball tunnels which give you access to areas I haven't hooked up yet. One is in the morph ball room. The other is in the power grip room. See if you can find em!
Oh, and if you find out you need bombs, you'll have to use a codebreaker code.

If anyone wants to help me work on this, let me know. Some serious ASM hacking will ultimately be required.

Sting_Chameleon

Love the idea. Seeing how Super Zero Mission was made for the SNES, I wouldn't mind playing this one either. Through your screenshots, I can only advise GFX changes to suit the original Super Metroid other than what you have done so far. Other than that, this seems like a hack I'd add to my future play-through. I know I'm not the best when it comes to being a GFX editor. However, I know there's alot of coding that needs to be done in few rooms to replicate most of Zebes. You have my support all the way!

FlamingCobra

I found out today that you cannot right-click to copy large portions of the map. But in the old version of DH, the clipboard DOES work. And it lets you copy large portions of the map. This will make my life much much easier.

I had to copy over a section of the ruined tourian (room nine) to crateria, one tile at a time. All of it. One. tile. at. a. time.
And I used new DH.

Guess what? It didn't work. The game crashed. When I opened it in old DH, it crashed. It still opened in new DH though.

So you know what I did? I deleted it. And started back from my backup, this time using old DH. And copied over that room again. Tile by tile. And guess what happened? This time, it worked! But BG3 is all totally fucked up, so I covered it up by filling the backlayer with solid tiles.

So from now on, I'll be mostly using old DH. If anyone knows how to successfully insert backgrounds, I would like your help.

Quote from: Sting_Chameleon on February 16, 2012, 12:46:41 AM
Love the idea. Seeing how Super Zero Mission was made for the SNES, I wouldn't mind playing this one either. Through your screenshots, I can only advise GFX changes to suit the original Super Metroid other than what you have done so far. Other than that, this seems like a hack I'd add to my future play-through. I know I'm not the best when it comes to being a GFX editor. However, I know there's alot of coding that needs to be done in few rooms to replicate most of Zebes. You have my support all the way!
Unfortunately, I don't know jack shit about coding. I must look to the community for assistance.
Keep in mind that Crocomire WILL need death animations. Ya'll might want to start thinking about that.

interdpth

Sorry for the bugs, I did take out clipboard in the latest version.

If you have a crash, lemme know I can possibly fix it

passarbye

greatly looking forward to this hack.  :grin:
how far exactly are you though?  :pwuh:

last i remember you said you were on the room next to the landing zone.
but i assume that you are now working on ruined tourian leading into blue brinstar (because your last post was about that).

at any rate, i'm glad that at least someone is working on an MZM hack.

FlamingCobra

Quote from: passarbye on February 17, 2012, 03:09:42 PM
greatly looking forward to this hack.  :grin:
how far exactly are you though?  :pwuh:

last i remember you said you were on the room next to the landing zone.
but i assume that you are now working on ruined tourian leading into blue brinstar (because your last post was about that).

at any rate, i'm glad that at least someone is working on an MZM hack.

Nope. I already finished the horizontal room of the ruined tourian except for BG3. I'm working on the room next to the landing zone.
This room is a pain in the ass. I still haven't figured out how I'm gonna do vertical doors yet.

I've been thinking about signing up on Metroid Fan Mission and putting in some sprite and tileset requests.

But I'm going to need coders.

I sort of halfway lied about not knowing how to code at all. I know a little HTML, but that doesn't count. And I also can edit exported palettes with a hex editor. But that's the extent of my knowledge of code.

Additionally, either
a) I need somebody to insert backgrounds for me, or
b) I need someone to give me step by step instructions on how to do BG3s

because no matter what I do it never works, and it usually fucks up the ROM.

EDIT: Ok, this is starting to get ultra annoying. I'm being very limited by the jump height, and platforms and ledges and stuff are starting to get crowded. So I've decided power grip will be available from the start of the game. I don't know how to do this yet, so I'll just use a codebreaker code for playtesting.

Malpercio

The simplest way would be to force Power Grip in the player's path asap. Use the proper enemy/sprite/whatever DH calls it set on a room and you're good. Better, if there's an event keyed to "power grip get" you can use that to change the room back to enemies after the player picks up the power grip

FlamingCobra

Quote from: Malpercio on February 19, 2012, 12:47:24 AM
The simplest way would be to force Power Grip in the player's path asap. Use the proper enemy/sprite/whatever DH calls it set on a room and you're good. Better, if there's an event keyed to "power grip get" you can use that to change the room back to enemies after the player picks up the power grip

I figure if there's a patch that makes it so you start the game with the full suit (2nd chozo suit), then it will be possible to make a patch that starts you with power grip.

zephyrtronium

It would be slightly more difficult to start game with power grip due to the way the game initializes things. If I remember correctly, it sets a register to 0 and then stores that register over all the equipment values and such, and then it sets a different register to zero and stores that register to the suit status and such. It's been a very long time since I've looked at that code, though.

Malpercio

Quote from: FlamingCobra on February 19, 2012, 12:06:28 PM

I figure if there's a patch that makes it so you start the game with the full suit (2nd chozo suit), then it will be possible to make a patch that starts you with power grip.
I did say simplest. *shrug*

passarbye

Quote from: Malpercio on February 19, 2012, 12:32:44 PM

:lol: this is true. although, you could just put power-grip in the far right room of blue brinstar. (instead of those missiles because you really don't need them, and can place them elsewhere.)

Yuki

Quote from: passarbye on February 19, 2012, 03:03:09 PM
Quote from: Malpercio on February 19, 2012, 12:32:44 PM

:lol: this is true. although, you could just put power-grip in the far right room of blue brinstar. (instead of those missiles because you really don't need them, and can place them elsewhere.)
Or you could put the power grip instead of the map room in crateria, and have her download the first map from her ship. How's that sound?

FlamingCobra

WHY!?!? WHY DIDN'T DH SAVE THE TILES I JUST PLACED!? GODDARNIT!

EDIT: Having a lot of scrolling issues with Norfair's first room. It's mostly cuz I'm trying to minimize the number of platforms by making use of power grip. But I think I'm going to put an end to that. Maybe.

EDIT2: Alright, I'm going to suck up my pride and ask. Hey Inter, what am I supposed to do about rooms in Crateria that have water in 'em and I can't make it go away? And why is it that when I switch the tilesets for certain rooms, the new tileset glows radioactive green?

UPDATE: Nufair

Lunaria

How are you planning on getting grappling beam in?

FlamingCobra

You remember those tram thingies in Kraid where you can grab onto them and they zoom you across the ceiling?

For the time being, all I can do is substitute those for the grappling beam. I need help from coders.

Malpercio

Quote from: poke2mon3 on February 19, 2012, 04:37:17 PM
Or you could put the power grip instead of the map room in crateria, and have her download the first map from her ship. How's that sound?
pfffthahaha
Visiting map rooms, who does that.

FlamingCobra

I'll be releasing an IPS patch soon, in case anyone wants to help out.

Yuki

cool, maybe i will try to learn a little double helix. sounds interesting enough

Qactis

Quote from: FlamingCobra on February 19, 2012, 06:38:48 PM
WHY!?!? WHY DIDN'T DH SAVE THE TILES I JUST PLACED!? GODDARNIT!

EDIT: Having a lot of scrolling issues with Norfair's first room. It's mostly cuz I'm trying to minimize the number of platforms by making use of power grip. But I think I'm going to put an end to that. Maybe.

EDIT2: Alright, I'm going to suck up my pride and ask. Hey Inter, what am I supposed to do about rooms in Crateria that have water in 'em and I can't make it go away? And why is it that when I switch the tilesets for certain rooms, the new tileset glows radioactive green?

UPDATE: Nufair

There's a few debuggers out there, have you tried hex tweaking the physics?

FlamingCobra

I'm thinking about taking Power Grip back out again.

Responding to your comment, Qactis, I feel like Nintendo knew what it was doing and if I altered the physics, it would upset the balance of the game.

passarbye

Quote from: FlamingCobra on February 20, 2012, 04:33:46 PM
I'm thinking about taking Power Grip back out again.

Responding to your comment, Qactis, I feel like Nintendo knew what it was doing and if I altered the physics, it would upset the balance of the game.
well, tweaking the physics to make samus jump just a bit higher would make power grip unnecessary.
but then again, you'd have to make the rooms a bit bigger to accommodate for jump height. 

and nice idea about the grapple beam, but what's going to keep me from visiting phantoon too early?
just pullin' your chain.  :heheh:

interdpth

If you'd like to give me all of your bugs, and let me know if you want DH in one window or as is now, send me a PM and i'll do some fixing for you

FlamingCobra

Sorry I didn't separate Weird Shit That Happens and Feature Requests.

UPDATE: Just got done with High Jump room and the one next to it.

UPDATE: Started working on the first room of Brinstar Green. It's mostly done, except it isn't tiled. Like, everything is a solid blue block, because I don't have a proper "jungle" tileset to go with it. I've connected a save room for that area. I've also done that room that you access via the first missile door on the left (the one with the yellow eyeball creatures and the green hopper creature).

Inter, I'd really appreciate the import/export room feature because that way anyone who is interested can help make rooms and they can all be imported into the "master ROM" easily.