News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Old SMILE Help Thread

Started by GF_Kennon, May 17, 2009, 02:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MultiK1llZ

on the landing site, how do i make my layer 2 custom backround work, because it seems that when i load my game, it loads the original sky background and when i set the the BG pointer to 0000, it messes up the BG, please help :S

RealRed

change the FX2 to 0000, change your Layer1_2 to 91D3, and be sure your BG pointer is 0000.
Then, go to Tools -> Background editor -> BG/Layer2 Scrolling.
You should get a menu. change the first box to say "Layer 2 Background (custom)"
Then, you should be able to use your own inserted BG there.

rolando

whats the offset in TLP for the purple nebuea in the sky when samus is flying out of space colony,and how could i find out what pallette it uses?

begrimed

rolando:
66769-0F = Palette for the brown asteroids and purple stars/nebula that are shown when Samus enters/leaves Ceres, and enters Zebes. Put those values into the "I'm a Genius" window in SMILE's Beauty Salon, and you'll see a line of browns/purples. Those are the colors you want.

I don't know where the actual graphics for the nebula and asteroids are, but I'm sure someone else here does.

MultiK1llZ

how do you change the color of the ship? :S

Crashtour99

Quote from: Grime on November 19, 2009, 01:04:11 PM
I don't know where the actual graphics for the nebula and asteroids are, but I'm sure someone else here does.

I can't seem to find/remember where they are, but I do know that much like Torizo's eye blink and torso animation and the gold statues of Ridley and Phantoon, they're coded strangely into the ROM.  I was tinkering around with YY-Char's "line shift" function (shifts a single line of pixels one tile) when I found them on accident.  At least if I remember right.  LOL  If not then they're coded in another format.  I should probably start documenting where I find all these little things I come across...   :eyeroll:

Xaggoth

Quote from: MultiK1llZ on November 19, 2009, 01:19:28 PM
how do you change the color of the ship? :S

The ship is under enemies, just right click it and then use the scroll bar in the upper right until you see a palette option.

rolando

ok i think i found the nebula its at offset 00039DE0 in TLP but the only thing is its that its very mixed up kinda to the point where you can't really make it out..

but thanks alot grime!

also this is for people who want to make a background using the nebula

im also using the yy-chr but no luck yet.
ok well im making good progress i found another way
when im done i'll ask if they could put it in the archvies in the GFX spot
its going to be the nebula and the planet stars and perhaps some of the astroies and if i could find ceres also.

MultiK1llZ

Thanks Xaggoth,

this really helps me with my hack.  :wink:

Crashtour99

Quote from: rolando on November 19, 2009, 06:25:28 PM
ok i think i found the nebula its at offset 00039DE0 in TLP but the only thing is its that its very mixed up kinda to the point where you can't really make it out..

I found it.   :lol:  Turns out that the nebula and asteroids can be exported via the Special GFX editor.  B510A.gfx   :eyeroll:

Scyzer

I also need to find some annoying GFX actually, but I highly doubt anyone knows where I can edit the ending ship scenes when the planet explodes?

Crashtour99

Well, the gfx for Samus' ship (both for ceres and the ending scene) are in mode 7, special gfx AA82F.gfx.

The stuff for when the planet explodes is in special gfx C0304.gfx (4BPP, so no mode 7).  I don't know where the cloud gfx are though for the "escape from the planet" scene (after Samus returns to her ship, but before the cutscene of the planet exploding).  With the way that the clouds turn though, I'd imagine they'd be in mode 7.  As to where, I haven't the foggiest.

Scyzer

Quote from: Crashtour99 on November 20, 2009, 05:05:37 AM
Well, the gfx for Samus' ship (both for ceres and the ending scene) are in mode 7, special gfx AA82F.gfx.

Oh sweet thanks. And even better if it's mode 7, cause it means I only have to change 1 sprite =D. I feared it would've been done with tilemaps and a TON of GFX.

EDIT:
Does anyone know where the tilemaps are for the main menu? I don't mean the logo or text or that, I mean the ones for the background (picture of Ceres computers and Metroid).

personitis

Uhh, Squishy does. I thought you could rip this from SMILE though? o.O

Crashtour99

Quote from: Sadiztyk Fish on November 20, 2009, 05:26:54 AM
Does anyone know where the tilemaps are for the main menu? I don't mean the logo or text or that, I mean the ones for the background (picture of Ceres computers and Metroid).

These can also be exported from the Special GFX editor.  They are both in mode 7, metroid is AA5E1.gfx, and the Ceres scene is labeled "title 2" A6000.gfx.   :wink:

MultiK1llZ

how do u get the Special GFX editor in SMILE, because i have the updated version and its not their so i cant export stuff like the title and the planet GFX. is there another way =S

personitis

Assuming you have v2.50, enter the graphics editor and use the drop down box on the bottom of the window to rip special graphics.

Scyzer

Quote from: Crashtour99 on November 22, 2009, 12:23:03 PM
Quote from: Sadiztyk Fish on November 20, 2009, 05:26:54 AM

These can also be exported from the Special GFX editor.  They are both in mode 7, metroid is AA5E1.gfx, and the Ceres scene is labeled "title 2" A6000.gfx.   :wink:

I know this, but these are the graphics. Even if I edit these GFX, they will still show up in the same place in the title screen. I need the tilemaps for the Mode 7 background.

Tilemaps are how sprites are BUILT. They tell the game which tile to put where, it's corrordinates and flip, etc. You would have noticed that enemy GFX are all jumbled up in the ROM. The tilemaps are what put it put them together. You can edit the GFX to make it look different, but you cannot make the sprite bigger or move differently without tilemaps.

FullOfFail

2 Questions.

1. Why in the hell does this 1x1 room have soooooooo much space? I'm assuming it's data from other places, but what? Is this room safe to edit? It's room E5E6 and has 112/28572, seriously. What. The. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU?

2. Is there anyway to make those light enemies deal damage? The one's in Crateria (as seen in the pic). I want the light to deal damage as I hit it.

Scyzer

Quote from: FullOfFail on November 23, 2009, 02:43:39 AM
2 Questions.
1. Why in the hell does this 1x1 room have soooooooo much space? I'm assuming it's data from other places, but what? Is this room safe to edit? It's room E5E6 and has 112/28572, seriously. What. The. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU?

2. Is there anyway to make those light enemies deal damage? The one's in Crateria (as seen in the pic). I want the light to deal damage as I hit it.

1. That room doesn't have that much space. It's an error with the level entries.txt. If you haven't added any rooms, use this one, or you can just add them to the end again.

2. You'll need ASM to do that. Jathys has done that, but his Eye followed you and chased you down. You could use a code that checks how far away you are from that enemy, and if you're within a certain range, deal damage to samus. I guess it'd work quite well like that, as as soon as you get within range of the Eye, it will always be shining on you; you can't get out of it's beam unless you get out of range, in which case the damage stops.

DSO

1. Yeah, there's non-room data between that and the next room. There's really not much room to use in for that room.

2. http://jathys.zophar.net/images/temp/eye00.wmv :P

Crashtour99

Quote from: Sadiztyk Fish on November 23, 2009, 01:45:55 AM
I need the tilemaps for the Mode 7 background.

Whoops, my bad.  I thought you were looking for the just the gfx.   As for the tilemaps, I have no clue.  Hell, I don't even know how one would go about editing that.   :pwuh:

MultiK1llZ

Does anyone know how to make the spider ball?! yes, it is probably alot of hex editing and making new items, but does any one know? ( i dont mean the sticky surface thing like in some hacks...)

personitis

It's already been done by Jathys but hasn't been released yet. And it's not the sticky surfaces you're talking about.

MultiK1llZ

okay then, thanks... i will be waiting  :<_<: