News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid: Opposition

Started by mccad, February 19, 2018, 11:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mccad

Since there's been something of a resurgence in interest in this project, I'd like to just clarify a few things regarding the state of this project

First and foremost, yes, Super Metroid: Opposition is dead. The rom is no longer being worked on and hasn't been touched by me in well over a year. However, the project itself still lives on and is still (somewhat) actively being worked on in a different form. Me, Metroid3D (Developer of Psycron, go check it out this game rocks) and Lojical pushed the project away from a romhack and have made a fresh start on it in the form of an original indie game, completely independent of Metroid

Since the romhack got canned, I've been willing to give the source files of my romhack to whoever wants it, so if you want it, you can DM me on discord mccad00#8360 and ill send you a link. Thanks to everyone for all the positive feedback and interest. Hopefully whenever I have more to show of the project in it's current state, you'll like it ever better

LetsPlayNintendoITA

now that the thread is back alive, i can say i created the map
https://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,5391
and now that the update is arriving with a completely visitable final area
[spoiler]go back to Draygon's chozo key room, collect it, then go down to lower valley[/spoiler]
glad I got the opportunity to make it so its visitable and all.
Hopefully the work with moehr works and we can get a working ending too!
let's go :)
so excited about the future project. good luck and if you need any help just ask :)

LetsPlayNintendoITA

due to an error, the file on site contains only updated maps and images. the new patch is missing. I attached it to the post.
also attached below is a completable version.
after collecting the last items in the new area, a message to return to ship is shown, once returned to ship the game will end.
Quote from: moehrset escape event in the objective room after a brief delay,

add a message instructing you to return to the ship,

move the bank 85 ASM pointers to make space for the new message,

fix up some room pointers to run the new code in the objective room

and place the gunship back in the escape state of the landing site so you can leave the planet.
thanks to moehr for the patch!
both patch have to be applied to clearn unheadered rom. they're not combinable. only one can be used at a time. but the completable version includes the chozo key patch.

Moehr

Bugfix. It was late, I had the patch set event 05 instead of 0E. Sorry!

Found a room I could test this one in closer to the gunship, works as far as I can see. Find any other bugs with the patch, let me know.

mccad

Quote from: Moehr on August 27, 2021, 09:27:23 AM
Bugfix. It was late, I had the patch set event 05 instead of 0E. Sorry!

Found a room I could test this one in closer to the gunship, works as far as I can see. Find any other bugs with the patch, let me know.
here we've the ips patches and read me for the new versions. with and without your patch. linking them to the page.
thanks moehr for the help

SonowRaevius

Quote from: mccad on August 26, 2021, 06:24:54 PM
Since there's been something of a resurgence in interest in this project, I'd like to just clarify a few things regarding the state of this project

First and foremost, yes, Super Metroid: Opposition is dead. The rom is no longer being worked on and hasn't been touched by me in well over a year. However, the project itself still lives on and is still (somewhat) actively being worked on in a different form. Me, Metroid3D (Developer of Psycron, go check it out this game rocks) and Lojical pushed the project away from a romhack and have made a fresh start on it in the form of an original indie game, completely independent of Metroid

Since the romhack got canned, I've been willing to give the source files of my romhack to whoever wants it, so if you want it, you can DM me on discord mccad00#8360 and ill send you a link. Thanks to everyone for all the positive feedback and interest. Hopefully whenever I have more to show of the project in it's current state, you'll like it ever better

May not mean much coming from a rando online, but I loved what work you did on this and can't wait to see what you and your team's own game in the future and wish you all the best with it! :)

ocesse

Thanks mccad, Moehr and LetsPlayNintendoITA.
Some of you know my business, let's see if it is possible to play that way :)

Moehr

OmegaMalkior

Thanks for the updates! I actually didn't even know Draygon was in the hack till reading that the Draygon key was added in :whoa:. Definitely liked the concept. Got stuck trying to exit the room as there were speedblocks blocking the top unlocked door and since I'm bad at short charging I just used a cheat to escape lol. Loved the fusion song replaced for Maridia added in. Tried the escape patch but it didn't seem to work, but not sure if I patched it correctly since I applied it on top of v1.1. Liked the ending room tho the blue did blind me a bit lol. Cheers

LetsPlayNintendoITA

Quote from: OmegaMalkior on August 27, 2021, 05:24:39 PM
Thanks for the updates! I actually didn't even know Draygon was in the hack till reading that the Draygon key was added in :whoa:. Definitely liked the concept. Got stuck trying to exit the room as there were speedblocks blocking the top unlocked door and since I'm bad at short charging I just used a cheat to escape lol. Loved the fusion song replaced for Maridia added in. Tried the escape patch but it didn't seem to work, but not sure if I patched it correctly since I applied it on top of v1.1. Liked the ending room tho the blue did blind me a bit lol. Cheers
the patches are separate. you need to apply them to clean roms.

DonnyDonovan

How big is this?  How much is there to do?

Moehr

Quote from: mccad on August 27, 2021, 09:48:42 AMhere we've the ips patches and read me for the new versions. with and without your patch. linking them to the page.

This is my first time actually playing it, it's awesome though and when you finish up your real game, let me know so I can grab a copy.

LetsPlayNintendoITA

Quote from: OmegaMalkior on August 27, 2021, 05:24:39 PM
sent you a quick dm if you want.

Quote from: Moehr on August 27, 2021, 07:03:01 PM
Quote from: mccad on August 27, 2021, 09:48:42 AMhere we've the ips patches and read me for the new versions. with and without your patch. linking them to the page.

This is my first time actually playing it, it's awesome though and when you finish up your real game, let me know so I can grab a copy.
it's basicly a complete game except not complete in all senses.

LetsPlayNintendoITA

thanks to OmegaMelkior we can confirm it works as intended
game is completable
[spoiler][/spoiler]

mccad

1.3 now has both key and the escape. hopefully this works good all fronts.

Moehr

mccad

the music in arpia trench is now fixed and back to Fusion's Sector 4! thanks to Sapphron and Benox for the help

DonnyDonovan

This is fun but I think I must be doing something in the wrong order because I'm in the trenches area and suddenly the game is stupid hard with giant sidehoppers everywhere and nowhere near the equipment to handle such a predicament plus I can jump down to places where I seem to be softlocked without gravity.

LetsPlayNintendoITA

Quote from: DonnyDonovan on September 06, 2021, 12:47:00 PM
This is fun but I think I must be doing something in the wrong order because I'm in the trenches area and suddenly the game is stupid hard with giant sidehoppers everywhere and nowhere near the equipment to handle such a predicament plus I can jump down to places where I seem to be softlocked without gravity.
why not go to the caeli shrine first?

DonnyDonovan

Well I think I'll try that then!

Edit: Yeah, that's a lot better.  There should be some barrier to getting down there though, a jump you can't pass w/out gravity.  It's easy enough to get wave pretty early and think that's the way you are supposed to go, only to totally screw yourself -- with death and reverting to an earlier save the only way out. 

Edit:  I patched 1.4 to a clean rom.  I got all four keys.  Should I be able to beat the game?  When I go to the elevator to go down to the final area I get a black screen and nothing else.  I'm using ZSNES if that matters.

DonnyDonovan

Still can't access the final area in the most recent version (1.4).

LetsPlayNintendoITA

Quote from: DonnyDonovan on September 22, 2021, 01:34:17 PM
Still can't access the final area in the most recent version (1.4).
the gf area can't be accessed. only lower part of the first area is possible.

DonnyDonovan

Oh, I thought you could get the 4 keys, use them to activate the statue, go down the elevator not far from your ship, go through a small area and get the last couple of items, and then return to the ship and "win."  Is that not correct?

LetsPlayNintendoITA

yes.
get final key from draygon, go back to first area, go through statue room, down to lower area, traverse it, get last 2 items, go up elevator, leave with ship

DonnyDonovan

When I go to the statue and activate it, the elevator appears, but I can't go down.  I start to get the elevator animation but then the screen goes black, the elevator sound is playing in the background, and it just stays that way forever.  Playing version 1.4 and using ZSNES.