News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid: Opposition

Started by mccad, February 19, 2018, 11:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mccad

SUPER METROID: OPPOSITION
A hack by Tedicles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZymFmpQ5uo

Story
[spoiler]
     By the order of Commander Ridley, your research team is sent to planet Ares, home to a once legendary Chozo civilization. Upon arrival, many artifacts are
discovered, including the remains of an ancient Chozo battle suit. Your fellow scientists make quick work of reverse engineering the suit, and manage to develop
a new suit, one fit for use by the Space Pirate Armada. Donning the armor, you leave the research vessel.

Soon after your departure, you receive a distress beacon from the research vessel! As you rush to the aid of your team, you watch helplessly as a fleet
of Federation soldiers, with the aid of Samus Aran, decimate the vessel!

It is too late. Armed with a powerful suit of power armor, and vengeance on your side, you follow the fleet to planet Ares. Do you have what it takes to
avenge your fallen comrades?
Disclamer: The story will be subject to heavy changes over the course of development
[/spoiler]

Gameplay
[spoiler]
As the player, you take control of a Space Pirate, armed to the teeth and ready to kill!

You have a wide array of abilities on your side, including:

• Respin - Using your suit's Jet Thrusters, you can re-enter a spinjump by pressing the Jump Button while in the air
  • Speedball - Tear your opponents to shreds through sheer speed alone by holding the Run Button while in the morph pod
  • Tile Reveal - Stuck clueless in a room? You can use the explosive force of a hyper mine to reveal any special tiles within a room
[/spoiler]

Areas
[spoiler]
AZURE VALLEY
The landing site of your vessel. Atop the surface of the planet, this area is home to weak enemies and a safe, relatively non-hostile environment.
This area shows signs of lost Chozo civilizations, including a mysterious golden statue guarding the entrance to the planet's now poisoned core.

HALL OF KURA
Under the surface of planet Ares lies a vast, abandoned temple, reclaimed by nature. Where gardens once held calm, enourmous flora overgrows into the surrounding masonry.

FALLEN LAB
The aftermath of a Galactic Federation attack on your research vessel. The remains of the ship have crashed into the planet, where they sit, haunted by the
vengeful spirits of your crewmates. Home to many lost upgrades to your Power Armor.

CAELI SHRINE
In the cloudy skies of planet Ares, the Caeli Shrine floats ominously in the freezing cold atmosphere of the sky. Under investigation by the Galactic Federation,
this technological marvel holds many secrets of the ancient Chozo's militaristic past.

ARPIA TRENCH
Beyond the wreckage of the research vessel lies a boundless sandy grove, blooming with aquatic life. It is said that deep below the caves of Arpia, there exists
an aquatic base, holding within it the last stand of Chozo civilization.
[/spoiler]

This is my first fullhack, but I plan on putting in as much time and effort as possible in order to get the best, most refined result possible.
Because of this, the release date is not currently set; However, I can realistically see the release being within the next few years.

Our dev team is expanding, and I'm currently seeking out new members to contribute to the team. If you are interested in joining, and excel at any of the following:

• Pixel art, especially large images like backgrounds, or natural tilesets like stone or soil.
  • Audio design, especially music composition
  • Game design
Then send me a private message on discord at mccad00#8360 containing what you can contribute to the project, as well as any sort of portfolio of past work you
have done. I'll be looking forward to talking with you!

A Dummy

This hack looks like it'll be pretty cool, looking forward to seeing where this goes

Steel Sparkle

Looks pretty nice. Definitely something i will be looking forward too!

altoiddealer

I love it!  Best of luck with this, I'm already looking forward to playing it whenever that is  :bounce:

Would be interesting if you could incorporate human enemies in place of the pirates.  I get the feeling that was probably the plan already, just not specified in the description

mccad

Quote from: altoiddealer on February 20, 2018, 12:40:41 PM
I love it!  Best of luck with this, I'm already looking forward to playing it whenever that is  :bounce:

Would be interesting if you could incorporate human enemies in place of the pirates.  I get the feeling that was probably the plan already, just not specified in the description
Thanks for the feedback! Yep, that's the plan as is. Might release some images of them soon as I plan on redoing their graphics soon

Cloud20

What a beautiful project  :whoa:

Really impressed by the ideas and every aspect of this hack (design, palettes, storyline and also promotion of the project itself)

Definitely excited by this  :bounce: Good luck!!!

Moehr

Yeah, sounds like a great idea! Posting to keep an eye on.

Jet3rd

This looks really cool. Will the final boss be Samus?

LexyChan

I like the detail on the suit, the small beak.
Good luck with this project, I'll await its completion.

Dasfonia

This looks very promising.  Definitely going to be watching this.

mccad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyQ67IPcl3o&t=33s
Just a little sneak peak at progress being done towards custom music

Quietus

Possible a bit too much piano sound near the beginning, but otherwise I like it. :^_^:

albert v.

Wow! This just catch attention!  :whoa:

makazuwr32

Sounds like reworked Deep sector 4 from Fusion with a bit added from SM Crateria.
Nice Rework. I like it.

mccad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S3ZAlhh2Mk

Its been a long time in the making, but the suit graphics have, for the second time now, been completely revamped and improved! Huge props to Physix for providing a base for me to work from

Moehr

Nice work so far. Some of the darker images are a little bit hard for me to see but everything is super pretty. Is the soundtrack getting added to the hack or will it be play-alongside?

Can't wait to check this out; I love that it's told from the perspective of the pirates. One of my favorite elements of the prime series was reading how the pirates viewed Samus' actions.

mccad

Quote from: Moehr on March 14, 2018, 10:45:44 PM
Nice work so far. Some of the darker images are a little bit hard for me to see but everything is super pretty. Is the soundtrack getting added to the hack or will it be play-alongside?

Can't wait to check this out; I love that it's told from the perspective of the pirates. One of my favorite elements of the prime series was reading how the pirates viewed Samus' actions.

The song in the video was a placeholder because the song currently used for that area isn't final. In the final release, we plan on playing all the music in engine, like vanilla, rather than with the use of external programs.

Steel Sparkle

mccad

A lot of progress has been made recently towards generally improving some of my old work graphically. I've updated the forum post accordingly to showcase some of these changes. This is probably going to be more of a routine thing pretty soon.

SonowRaevius

I don't know why, but the way the game has been stylized reminds me heavily of another game I once played, but I can't seem to think of the name of it....

Anywho, great work regardless!

UDtheAesir

Nice! Looking forward to this!

altoiddealer

Whoa, nice new screens!

I think the style of the bricks look out of place in the last screenshot... my only criticism.

Keep up the amazing work!

Ben Plus!

Just looking at the screenshots and watching the trailer, I know I'm getting on that hype train and staying on it until we get to Release Day Station!

mccad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9HQ4298yh0

Quick progress update, I've hacked the door PLMs to allow for asymmetrical door graphics. Now i'm able to have directional lighting on the doors, which should make them fit in a bit more with some of my newer tilesets.