News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

MZM Randomizer

Started by biospark, December 21, 2017, 08:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biospark

New version, lots of new features!

Download
1.3.0 - 2020-11-24
  - Added option to remove up to 90 items
  - Added option to provide custom item assignments
  - Added option to randomize enemies
  - Added option to skip door transitions
  - Removed option to remove Varia Suit animation (now it is always removed)
  - Removed option to remove Norfair vine (now it is always removed)
  - Fixed bug with hue rotation
  - Fixed probability of Space Jump replacing Morph Ball (was too low before)
  - Added hash icons to file select screen
  - Title screen demos are now disabled
  - Shooting Ruins Test with a non-pistol beam now hurts Samus
  - Triggering the alarm in Chozodia never changes the music
  - Removed duplicate versions of rooms in Crateria
  - Fixed bug where Varia Suit's item wouldn't spawn after obtaining fully powered suit
  - Fixed music that plays when suitless sequence is skipped

alexman25

Thank you, this is good to see.

biospark

New version with a few bug fixes.

Download
1.3.1 - 2020-11-27
  - Fixed bug where selecting "Unchanged" would crash the program
  - Fixed extra long config strings in the intro text
  - Added warning when trying to overwrite the original ROM file
  - Minor item logic fixes

Scherezad

Hello. Made an account to report a bug.
I randomized a few seeds, and randomizing enemies seems to be always-on, despite the checkboxes. After encountering this (first room Zoomers were Geemers), I generated a few test seeds. Resulted in never once having a proper Zoomer in the first two rooms.

I would provide images, but this is my first post on the forum, so I cannot.

As for settings, the following are True: Abilities; Tanks; Beatable completion; Ice beam not required; IBJ; Wall jumps; All Palettes; Item Toggle; HM available; Cutscenes off; Obtain Unknown Items; Skip suitless

biospark

New version with a couple bug fixes.

Download
1.3.2 - 2020-12-01
  - Config strings from version 1.3.0 and later are now compatible
  - Fixed bug where enemies were always randomized

Rocky712

The latest update really gave the MZM Randomizer new life. Really enjoyed it!

shanely

Experiencing a bug where Setting location 76 to its default item (power grip) yields the error "Randomization failed. Try changing your settings." Changing it back to random generates a ROM.

Kauzmoedon

This is due to how Location 76 is coded, because like most Crateria locations, it requires that Location 36 (the missile on the way to the Norfair/Crateria elevator) be reachable. If you have IBJs turned off for the logic, this makes it so Grip must be required for location 36, and since 76 is locked by 36, it fails the logic and fails to be randomized.

On another note, I'm having difficult understanding the coding behind Location 50 (Energy Tank behind Larva). This is what I'm seeing when I decompile:

case 50:
          if (!this.NorHeatRun || !this.Speed || !this.CeilingTunnel_3_4)
            return false;
          return this.Bomb || this.PowerX(1) || this.ActivePlasma;

Nowhere in this is a requirement for Wave Beam, which can yield a scenario where Wave Beam is in Location 50. In doing research I was able to find a method of getting through the room prior to the larva without Wave Beam, but that method also required Long Beam, which is also not listed as a requirement. Am I missing a method to get through the heated room before the larva without Wave or Long? Is there some fancy Shinespark shenanigan I am missing?

For reference, here is the seed info where I encountered this:
Seed: 1342091802
Settings: 6pITLGO_A

caauyjdp

Quote from: Kauzmoedon on April 10, 2021, 11:59:53 AMAm I missing a method to get through the heated room before the larva without Wave or Long? Is there some fancy Shinespark shenanigan I am missing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHGCn1X7gQc
pretty sure screw is optional, but it makes things easier.
there's also https://www.metroid2002.com/0/other_norfair_without_wave_beam.php

Kauzmoedon

That would be the method I was missing! Thank you :)

The second one you linked is the one I originally found, but doing that method with only 200 energy would be really rough.

MetaEdge

Found what I believe to be an unwinnable seed

Seed: 1197315954
Settings: NyITLYO_B

The issue is that hi-jump is locked by bombs in brinstar (shortcut room going from kraid to norfair), and bombs are locked by hi-jump in criteria (plasma room, the location near the door).

Proxima Ace

Seed: 1679648454
Settings: StITTcwX

Is Speed Booster really locked behind itself (and Gravity Suit) or is there some other way in there that a power bomb doesn't show? If not, is this seed still beatable?

caauyjdp

You've set randomizer to beatable, so yes, some things can become ungettable like this.
Speedbooster isn't required to beat the game tho, there's another way to lower norfair.

Proxima Ace

Quote from: caauyjdp on May 04, 2021, 11:50:21 PM
You've set randomizer to beatable, so yes, some things can become ungettable like this.
Speedbooster isn't required to beat the game tho, there's another way to lower norfair.
Well, I didn't know Speed Booster wasn't required. Thanks.

Proxima Ace

Quote from: caauyjdp on May 04, 2021, 11:50:21 PM

Wait, isn't Wave Beam also needed? Because Wave Beam is in the image here, where I need Speed Booster to get to it.

shaktool7

Are you aware of the shortcut which allows ridley first? IIRC, that should be it, by that, I mean the righter most green strip in norfair in this map
https://metroid.retropixel.net/games/metroidzm/metroidzm_map.jpg

Video at around 8:55 incase you are unware:
https://youtu.be/Be97YUg7ULQ

Proxima Ace

I was not. Either way, I've decided that I'm gonna do 100% instead of beatable from now on.

Belmont

Is it just for me or is the Download link not working anymore? I'm using google chrome

LetsPlayNintendoITA

tried it just now it works

Belmont

tried it now too on Microsoft Edge. Still won't let me download on Google Chrome. Maybe its a browser Problem. Thanks for replying :D

Kewlan

Many thanks for this. I've beaten lots of seeds and it's fantastic!

One request I have is to make the gravity suit, when it's without the varia suit, to:
- Be blue re-color of the varia suit
- Not prevent lava damage
- Only halve damage

Another request is to have the map stations gray-reveal every map tile, just so people like me who forget some hidden locations don't have to put away the game to look it up.

biospark

New version with some new features!

Download
1.4.0 - 2021-07-05
  - Added option to randomize abilities and tanks separately
  - Added option to specify number of abilities to remove
  - Added option to randomize Samus palettes
  - Improved performance of Locations tab
  - Under Game Completion, renamed "Unchanged" to "No logic"
  - "Remove cutscenes" option removes a couple more cutscenes
  - Doubled map image sizes
  - Floating-eye sensors are now always vulnerable
  - Customized title screen graphics

Zeke

Is it possible to escape the Chozo Test area without gravity? I can make it out of the water, but the lava seems to be inescapable.

(Btw, awesome rando, biospark. I should've tried it long ago.)

RT-55J

IIRC I saw a speedrunner fella make that lava dive in a plando seed the other day. The requirement is a few tanks worth of energy (like at least 3 I think) and maybe varia (idk). Not sure if space jump would make things better or worse there.

Anyhow, as for the randomizer itself, I would like to request the option of shuffling the abilities and energy tanks in the same pool, like how the major/minor split works in other Metroid randomizers.

Also, I played two seeds this week where I beat Mother Brain, and both of them had me start at the beginning of the suitless sequence (rather than next to Charlie) despite having the "Skip Suitless Sequence" box checked. I'm assuming this is unintended, or that I'm just being a dummy. (One such seed was Seed: 1830480900, Settings: 33oAmc5Thf)

Also hi Zeke how's it going?

Zeke

Not bad, yourself? Nice to see a fellow m2k2er. It's ironic that the board was archived just in time for Prime rando to breathe new life into the game that started it all -- all the old tricks are relevant again.