News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Fall Hack Contest

Started by Quote58, September 22, 2017, 01:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote58

Alright Metconst, time for the:

Fall Hacking Contest

This year, we're going with a dual themed contest for the season of Autumn.
You can choose to theme your hack around either:

Autumn or Halloween

This means you can choose to go with falling leaves, changing seasons, pumpkin spice lattes, etc. Or get spooky scary with halloween and horror themes.

When does it start? It already has!
When does it end? November 15th November 30th

Rules:

• The hack must be beatable, which means that it either needs to have a traditional escape sequence, or code (such as squishy's) to trigger the ending gamestate (#$0026 -> $0998 if you want to toss it into your own code  :wink:)
  • It must have a minimum of 10 rooms (unless the rooms are huge in which case it may still be considered). There is no maximum room limit, but try not to bite off more than you can chew!
  • Save, refill, map, and boss rooms don't count toward room total
  • No rom headers
  • Collabs are allowed
  • Bug fixes that take place after that deadline will not be counted, only what is submitted before the deadline gets considered
  • At least one boss/mini boss fight is greatly encouraged
Judging:

Contest entries will be judged by a panel consisting of Thedopefish, Dmantra, Begrimed, GFKennon, and Dessyreqt, and will ranked in the following categories:

• Adherence to the theme of the contest
        Fall/Autumn or Halloween
  • Level design/aesthetics
        How the entry looks, is the design coherent, etc...
  • Gameplay/Experience
        How it plays, is it fun, etc...

Rankings will earn the entries points in a non-linear scale based on the number of entries. For example, in a case where there are 12 entries, the points would be awarded something like:
1st: 15 points,
2nd: 12 points,
3rd: 10 points,
4th: 9 points,
5th: 8 points,
6th: 7 points,
12th: 1 point

Anyone found in violation of contest rules will be penalized points depending on the magnitude of the violation.
The entry with the best combined average rank is the winner.

Judges will be greatly encouraged to write a small post on their top ranking for each category explaining why they chose it.
This will serve not only as an explanation of their choice but also as an idea for things we all can do better in future hacks.

One more thing:
For any hack that includes a pointless room filled with spikes, using the red crateria tileset (with no modifications), and requires suitless underwater maneuvering, the hack author/s will get a special forum role and colour.

Now, get out there and

POST HACK

Also, if you have any complaints about the rules, you can post in this thread: http://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,4478.0.html
We might as well keep this thread for submissions and clarifications and stuff

Quote58

Hey guys, quick thing.

The contest is being extended until ****November 30th**** to give everyone a little more time to finish/polish up their hacks.

Now get hacking!

Quote58

Hey all, thought I'd clarify a couple of things. Firstly, the contest is ending on November 30th at 11:59pm EST, in case anyone thought I had meant up to and not including the 30th.
Secondly, the submission process is simple, up to or on the day of November 30th, you can post in this thread with the .ips patch, a description of the hack, at least 1 screenshot (that isn't the title screen), and any info that's important for the player to know before they it (ie. any particular skills needed, etc.). You can also submit your hacks to the main site, but I advise you wait until after the contest is over, as you might find out about bugs you would rather patch before submitting to the main site.

So, with all that being said, everyone participating in the contest has 45 hours and 29 minutes as of this post to finish up their contest entry and make a post in this thread with the patch.

Good luck!

Alex S

Here is My Hack that i am actively Developing, Its Also My first Zero Mission Hack but i made a special version for this contest :P

Metroid Volonus

Now I might not be the best at hacking zm, but after hearing about this contest I entered anyway for fun since i will still be working on this hack even after the contest ends. i just hope that the judges will enjoy this one just as much as i did  making it :P and with that said, enjoy my first zm hack!!

EDIT:Had to Fix The Entrance to Tourian :P

EDIT 2: i posted a link for the development discord for the full version that i am working on and planning to finish in Dec. 2018! ^-^ https://discord.gg/QTrhC8N

Jordan5

Quote from: Quote58 on November 29, 2017, 02:30:01 AM
at least 1 screenshot (that isn't the title screen)
I think you may have misread that :heheh:

For everyone else:
Quote from: Quote58 on September 22, 2017, 01:48:03 PM
POST HACK

liamnajor

metroid 2 hack. yay.

name: Metroid 2: Falling Simulator

samus lands on sr388...and the ground promptly collapses, leaving samus injured, and somehow emptying her missiles as well. who knows where you'll end up...

[/spoiler]
all you need to beat this is...a shit ton of sheer luck

mccad

Prepare for the experience of a lifetime...
In a world, where you can't trust anyone, not even yourself,
Even your closest allies can become your most dangerous enemies.
Coming to a theater near you:
Samus Aran in: Metroid Dread - The Reawakening: Remastered Edition TURBO

For mature audiences only; Viewer discretion is advised
[RATED T FOR TEEN]

(Credit to Physix for the broken Samus GFX. Dont worry, they normally work great)

SpoOkyMagician

Well... I was lazy/procrastinated as usual and... I don't have a hack. Sorry... However, I will at least describe what I wanted to do. I will put it in a spoiler just in case though...

[spoiler]
Idea/Concept: Samus was requested to test out a new Halloween attraction/simulator. She heads over to the place and explores. It was going to be a creepy, but small, mine.  After exploring a while, she comes to a room, (escape room) that would show: "Simulation Error" The place starts to blow up and she has to escape. That's about it. There would of been general enemies, a linear path/route, and very limited items to survive.

I did make some progress on the custom tiles but, I felt they were too... simplistic... It obviously could of been better. Although, I had the general idea.

as for the rooms/layout. I had a planned path but, I just never got to it. Here is my log for reference:

[ROOMS]

791F8 [Entrance] (Landing Site)
7990D [Mine Shaft] (Downward Shaft)
799BD [Main Mining Area] (Vertical Shaft near Statue Room)
793AA [Challenge Reward Room] (crateria Powerbomb Room)
7A5ED [Boss Room] (Hallway before Statue Room)
79969 [Pre Escape] (Room before Brinstar Elevator)
7A6E2 [Boss Reward] (Varia Suit Room)
7AC00 [Challenge Room] (Post Grapple Room)
7DE4D [Escape] (Escape Room)
7957D [Post Escape] (Good Transition Escape Room to Landing Site)

[PATHWAYS]

[Entrance]
791F8 -> 7990D (Right/Top)
791F8 -> 7957D (Left/Bottom)

[Mine Shaft]
7990D -> 791F8 (Left/Bottom)
7990D -> 799BD (Right/Middle)

[Main Mining Area]
799BD -> 7990D (Right/Middle)
799BD -> 79969 (Left/Bottom)
799BD -> 7A5ED (Right/Bottom)
799BD -> 7AC00 (Right/Top)

[Challenge Room]
7AC00 -> 799BD (Right/Top)
7AC00 -> 793AA (Lelf/Middle)

[Challenge Reward Room]
793AA -> 7AC00 (Right/Middle)

[Boss Room]
7A5ED -> 799BD (Left/Middle)
7A5ED -> 7A6E2 (Right/Middle)

[Boss Reward]
7A6E2 -> 7A5ED (Left/Middle)

[Pre Escape]
79969 -> 799BD (Right/Middle)
79969 -> 7DE4D (Left/Middle)

[Escape]
7DE4D -> 79969 (Right/Middle)
7DE4D -> 7957D (Down/Bottom)

[Post Escape]
7957D -> 7DE4D (Up/Top)
7957D -> 791F8 (Left/Bottom)
[/spoiler]

Sorry for no hack but, maybe if I find some time, I will try to still make it. Maybe...

~ SpoOkyMagician

Cpt.Glitch

Brought to you by Magconst....
Metroid: Spooky Mission!

Imago is at it again! It now threatens the very existence of Halloween! Getting to Imago is no simple task! It has infiltrated a massive space pumpkin and sealed off all entrances. Legend says that every Halloween three Holy beings appear in the physical realm... perhaps with these spooks, as people call them, Samus can gain access to the pumpkin and save Halloween!
Warning
There is an NSFW ending in this hack! There are special criteria to get it however, and it is highly unlikely one will get the ending without knowing this criteria. Keep this in mind if you plan to stream this!

[spoiler=Credits]biospark, Oneof99, CaptGlitch, Ing-Ing, Cosmic, NathanTech and Shrug[/spoiler]

ReptileMonster

Quote from: Cpt.Glitch on November 30, 2017, 05:10:48 PM
Warning
There is an NSFW ending in this hack! There are special criteria to get it however, and it is highly unlikely one will get the ending without knowing this criteria. Keep this in mind if you plan to stream this!

uh... why is there a NSFW ending? :O_o:

OneOf99

Quote from: ReptileMonster on November 30, 2017, 05:19:58 PM
Quote from: Cpt.Glitch on November 30, 2017, 05:10:48 PM
Brought to you by Magconst....
Metroid: Spooky Mission!
uh... why is there a NSFW ending? :O_o:
Bob4224 made a deal with us. We dealt the deal. At least that's the short version.

But you needn't worry, the ending is hidden so well that you won't get it unless you look for it. You essentially need a specific percentage and time to get it, and it is very non-lenient.

Also, shouldn't we be talking about this in the other thread? Not here?

Crystal_Knight

Because I have to post something before I can post anything with an attachment, I am just going to say... contest hype... I guess?

Crystal_Knight

Alright so here is the contest entry

Super Metroid: Substitute Turkey
A simple Super Metroid hack, with only a few hex edits, and the end-game bts. There are of course layout, and graphic changes. The Theme is just mostly generic Fall. To finish the hack you will not need any special skills, but to get all the items will need to know how to single-wall wall jump, past that nothing else. Also I don't think it is a hard hack.

personitis

Quote from: Crystal_Knight on November 30, 2017, 07:14:16 PM
Because I have to post something before I can post anything with an attachment, I am just going to say... contest hype... I guess?
New hacks, hype indeed!
COME ON YOU SLACKERS, POST HACK
You know who you are...

nodever2

HELLO EVERYONE! I have been hacking for hours and I have a ton of homework to do tonight but it doesn't matter because I can finally present to you:

Metroid: Operation Save Thanksgiving
by Nodever2, a guy who is really bad at making hack names

The Story: A great evil has been lurking below the surface of Zebes, even under the radar of Mother Brain, and it has been reawakened... It has the power to destroy Thanksgiving forever. Can Samus save the delicious annual dinner for the galaxy? Or will our gravy be gone for good?

Let's back up a minute. Yeah, I am new here (hi!), and I don't expect to win this contest, honestly (although I mean I wouldn't complain). The main reason I entered this contest was to receive feedback on the hack. I'd like to improve, and this is the best way to do it. I'm eagerly anticipating your feedback :) and I'm glad to be here. I'm honestly kinda surprised I made it to the point where I'm posting this right now.

Anyway, if you're going to play the hack, please see the readme as well. Enjoy! And here are some screenshots:

EDIT: Good news! I have made the Main Site Release of this hack (1.1). This is, effectively, the definitive version. You can view the main site release here!

passarbye

Passar Presents:
Metroid Zero: Fall Alpha
Story: The player is an android constructed to exterminate all life forms on the planet below.
However, you awaken to find the crew of the Vessel have mysteriously disappeared without a trace.
Find your way out!

Screenshots:
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
Created by:
Passarbye (Passar)

Credits:
Biospark, CaptGlitch, Cosmic, MAGconst, METconst

DOWNLOAD:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/00pu2bkqyiqdf8a/Metroid%20Zero%20Fall%20%280.1%29.ips?dl=0
edit - Fixed some minimap mishaps (again)
Patch to a clean "Metroid - Zero Mission (U) [!].gba" ROM to play!

As mentioned above, this is an Alpha (consider it a Mini-hack).
This hack will be expanded upon and fully fleshed out as soon as IRL shit stops getting in my way (which is why this entry is so much shorter than I originally intended).
This is supposed to be more of an Alien/Horror theme than a Fall/Autumn theme. Keep this in mind when judging/playing!

Cardweaver

Super Metroid Brew! Armed with a flashlight, Samus sets out to explore a Haunted Warehouse. Can she make it out with her life? You'll need to be able to walljump and midair morph.

Thanks to Quote for some code, and Bethers for testing.

Quote58

Alright guys, time's up for submitting entries. I'll explain more sooon

Quote58

Okay so, while the judges do their judging, feel free to post your own thoughts, experiences, percentages, etc. on the hacks in this thread.
When the judges have finished, we'll post it here, a winner will be declared, and someone might have a new flair on the forum.

Lenophis

I know I'm late to the party, but I wanted to make my submission. All I have is this screenshot:

The Etecoons and Dachora that helped Samus previously on Zebes have been haunted by the spirit of Mother Brain. She curses them eternally for helping the bounty hunter. They do not escape her hauntings, or her wrath.

FireStriker

So many good hack idk where to start, Metroid Zero: Fall sounds cool, love the title.
I think i might leave Spooky Mission to last im going to guess CaptGlitch and the Magconst team did a great job on that hack.
I might start with the random M2 Hack

Amorsis

@Cardweaver Your IPS is corrupt. Might need to reupload.

Cardweaver

Quote from: Amorsis on December 01, 2017, 10:42:46 AM

I know at least one person has managed to patch and play it, so it's probably an issue with the rom you're using. If anyone else has problems let me know and I can try to see if there's some weird issue, but it also works on my clean, unheadered rom.

mccad

Quote from: Amorsis on December 01, 2017, 10:42:46 AM
Make sure you're using a completely clean, unheadered [JU] rom

liamnajor

nice timing, me. learning metroid 2s tile format literally 2 hours after the contest ended... :mad: