News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Month - March 2017

Started by benox50, February 11, 2017, 02:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who made the Room of the Month?

benox50
6 (27.3%)
Quote58
7 (31.8%)
TobiMikami
3 (13.6%)
Jefe962
6 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 0

benox50

I'll start with something really purple:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Edited image just to remove green thingy

Quietus

I actually dig vivid palettes, so I like that side of things. I'm not so keen on the squareness of the general terrain.

Quote58

So last month I remade an existing room with this tileset. This month I made an entirely new room with it.

benox50

Epic tileset quote, so lush
and the Interleaving is top

Quote58

Thanks! I dig the palette in yours, but that green thing is really off-putting, what is it?

benox50

The green thing has to do with the level design. It deels damage when you are in it. It needs to be in the CRE and there is not lot of place to draw it. For now it will stay like that since its working, however I could replace it during polishing. I'm far from polishing tho  :heheh:

Vismund Cygnus

Quote from: benox50 on February 15, 2017, 01:07:55 AM
The green thing has to do with the level design. It deels damage when you are in it. It needs to be in the CRE and there is not lot of place to draw it. For now it will stay like that since its working, however I could replace it during polishing. I'm far from polishing tho  :heheh:
For future submissions, I'd recommend just editing that out before taking the screenshot of the room, then not saving the changes. It's a blemish on what is otherwise a fantastic looking room.  Or even do it now, there's still plenty of time before submissions close.  :^_^:

Quietus

That looks like it requires some fairly precise platforming, as there doesn't look to be mushroom for error. :oh:

TobiMikami

It's a bit tight stripped down, but with the high jump equipped they're not too bad, I purposely set the room up to be a little bit forgiving if you aren't perfect at hitting the Saturnines.

Jiffy

I have a neat room in the works, but it's in the works, so I'll just submit something slightly less neat for competition.

Vismund Cygnus

Despite the fact that y'all literally have one job, we managed to have a tie between Squishy and Passarbye last month:
[spoiler=Squishy][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Passarbye][/spoiler]

I apologise for being so late updating this, but I've been without internet for the last couple of weeks, having moved houses and the internet company screwed up my connection. All fun stuff. Here's this month's contenders:
[spoiler=benox50][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Quote58][/spoiler]
[spoiler=TobiMikami][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Jefe962][/spoiler]

Do the votes thing and the submits thing for next month. please.

EDIT: Fuck you Dropbox, thank you Imgur. All fixt. Hope y'all can see these ones. I'll be working on fixing the rest up soon.

Quietus

Jefe for me. Good ol' Brinstar yumminess. :^_^:

Retroo

Benox is the only one that should win, we seen Qoute do like 100 rooms like this and same with jeffe and the last room is just ugly. benox one is unique and looks good.

Digital_Mantra

Tobi for that lush 2D MP1 room. It shows how well a MP1 SM hack could actually work, and for that reason it wins this month.

Vismund Cygnus

Hey I should do this again:
[spoiler=benox50]Room is nice, certainly different from the usual, however the structure itself could use some work in terms of being smoothed out with less hard right angles and more slopes. Also that singular floating rock formation in the bottom right is really off-putting. It's a good start, but needs a little polish.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Quote58]Simply gorgeous.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=TobiMikami]As someone who never played Prime, to me it looks like a nicely structured but otherwise fairly plain room.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Jefe962]I really love how organic the room feels. Palette change is a welcome addition (much more lush than the normal washed-out Greenstar). Looks like it could've been pulled right out of Super Metroid 2.[/spoiler]
For me Quote's room just barely gets my vote ahead of Jefe's, but everyone did a great job this month.

Daltone

I liked jefes, feller is good at brinstar

Quote from: Retroo on March 09, 2017, 01:19:50 AM
just ugly
I disagree

Movin shit around so i dont look like a dummy no more

squishy_ichigo

Benox: You always have the most bizarre of rooms, maybe I just don't 'get it'. The foreground filler could be diversified a bit more, its easily spotted that its the same tile repeated over and over and over again, in say, the top left corner. You make good use of the background vines, but the foreground vines feel a bit lacking. I don't really know what else to say....

Quote: Another lush room as always, but I think people want to see what you can do with a different tileset, you know, we get it, you're good with this tileset. ;^)

Tobi: It looks pretty bland and boring to me, to be honest. Extremely repetitive, and forgettable. Which is sad, because I think I know what room its supposed to be, and that room is /not/. I feel you need to diversify the foreground filler more, so its not all the same repetitive pattern, and a few different mushroom graphics would help to bring life to the room. The background is fine. The phazon looks a bit odd too, maybe it's the palette? Some more phazon tiles would be neat too, like those big round parts: http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/metroid/images/5/52/Far_Tallon_Overworld_Screenshot_(16).png/revision/latest?cb=20130714004405

Jefe: Did you steal Redesign's palette?

[spoiler=verdict]
It's a tossup between another quote room, and another jefe room. So I asked zbot, and it told me to vote for Quote.
[/spoiler]

Quote58

Quote from: Retroo on March 09, 2017, 01:19:50 AM
Benox is the only one that should win, we seen Qoute do like 100 rooms like this and same with jeffe and the last room is just ugly. benox one is unique and looks good.

Benox's room is nice but it has glaring issues.
I've only shown one other room with this tileset, and this one is the most intricately designed room I have ever made with any tileset by a huge margin, with a tileset that has changed a lot even since the last room I showed. Just fyi.
Jiffy uses vanilla tiles but he's shown a surprisingly wide range with the tilesets he's shown. This is an example of an excellent use of the vanilla tiles but in ways the original never used, and with a very vibrant palette. It's nothing crazy but it's a really nicely made room and it's not something he's done over and over.
Saying the last one is 'just ugly' with no elaboration is a useless and subjective statement.
You're completely entitled to your opinion but don't think that just because you have one it's in any way objectively correct.

That said, I might as well talk about the rooms:
jiffy: Rad stuff. Solid room, love the vibrant palette.
benox: The palette is grating, the green box doesn't make sense aesthetically, and as fucking gorgeous as that background is, the foreground layering is really weird and the filler doesn't look right. Love that alien vibe though, the atmosphere and the choice of colours fits really well for Metroid.
toby: I like the idea for the room, but the custom tiles don't really fit with the zm stuff. I would suggest starting with the zm vine tiles as a base for phazon, and modify them until they look more electric. The mushrooms are not drawn in the same style as other tiles in the room (btw, I hope the talon overworld tileset is not used in the same sort of places as this tileset, because super Metroid and the GBA games use entirely different art styles and will clash), and again I suggest looking to zm's mushroom tiles as a base. The background is really sparse and the blue doesn't fade into the brown so it looks unnatural. I think that mainly there just needs to be a consistent art style to your prime rooms. ZM would probably work best for the samus you chose, but regardless of what you choose, just make sure it's consistent through out all the assets so that things don't look out of place. Tbh, this room looks like it was made in Paint. Not because it's ugly, but because it's a mash up of styles that don't belong together.

Scyzer

Quote from: Quote58 on March 09, 2017, 11:10:13 PM
benox: The palette is grating, the green box doesn't make sense aesthetically...
the green box doesn't make sense
green box

[spoiler=Green Box?][/spoiler]

One of us is colourblind. The question is: who?

Quote58

Oh shit he took vismund's advice and removed it for the picture. There was an ugly green square that he said made sense in the room but looked totally out of place originally.

Lunaria

Oh hey, lovely, dead dropbox links for the images! I swear, I wonder what else is broken..., aside from my own signature I mean.

Vismund Cygnus

My apologies guys. I knew the Dropbox thing was happening, I just kind of ignored it and hoped it was all just talk and it wouldn't really happen. Kinda dropped the ball there.
Luckily our old pals over at Imgur graciously allowed us to post direct links again, so I've gone and migrated this month's images over to there. I'll get around to doing it for the rest of the months' winners, and possibly the other years' rooms when I get to it. In the meantime, apologies for any inconvenience!

FPzero

That's very good news to hear. The staff should probably make an announcement about it since the only thread about the topic is still the one about how Imgur links are broken.