News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Ice Metal 1: Uninstall [Ver: 1.4.2]

Started by Lunaria, August 21, 2010, 06:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BassForever

Started playing this on recommendation,almost finish and have one question

The area at the top of steam fair that you need power bombs to get into where their is one of those weird statues... what is the point of it? One map says there is an etank in that room and another does not. Regardless of if there is an etank or not there just seems to be a deceptive tricky speed run across the bouncing green ooze for no reason.

Edit: Finished 90% cleared got all major upgrades missed 6 missiles, 1 super missiles, and 3 power bombs.

The entire ending section soured me on the game, [spoiler]Gold Torizo in an area that constantly drains your health after a forced swim though lava and a room where you have to kill those super jumper things with 6! super missiles.[/spoiler]

Overall I like the idea behind this hack but I felt it was very uneven. I dunno why this game gets classified as vanilla difficulty this is much harder then Super Metroid. It's not insane rom hack hard but a mixture of nonsense like fighting bosses in water pre gravity suit, nothing in game that hints at beam stacking leading to less damage, enemies that do unnecessarily large amounts of damage and have pointlessly extra health don't make it a hack I'd recommend to a casual Metroid fan.

Design wise I appreciated being able to have a lot of freedom of where I went but there was a lot of things that felt random. Tons of pointless grapple beam spots everywhere, the mega ball a new mechanic that as far as I could find has one use (getting the high jump boots) and is in an area (steam fair not ridley's lair) that has no boss unless you take an overly hidden route to the core, unfinished areas that were either filled with random missile tanks or nothing at all.

I feel like I was overly negative on Ice Metal but I still had a fun time with it. The creator clearly had a lot of good ideas (I really liked the map screens having story bits) and his redone art was largely impressive. I'd really like to see the creator be able to take the ideas he had for Ice Metal and apply them to an original game detached from Super Metroid since I feel most of the issues with the hack come from the fact the creator had to work within what already exists in Super Metroid.

Lunaria

Quote from: BassForever on January 14, 2017, 08:33:45 PM

The area at the top of steam fair that you need power bombs to get into where their is one of those weird statues... what is the point of it? One map says there is an etank in that room and another does not. Regardless of if there is an etank or not there just seems to be a deceptive tricky speed run across the bouncing green ooze for no reason.
It was supposed to be a larger area @BassForever, but then I kind of ran out of things to do with it as well as put there. I would have wanted to extend it but I just never got around to it. There was an e-tank there in a previous version, but it was later "moved" to another section of the game.

Quote from: BassForever on January 14, 2017, 08:33:45 PMEdit: Finished 90% cleared got all major upgrades missed 6 missiles, 1 super missiles, and 3 power bombs.

The entire ending section soured me on the game, [spoiler]Gold Torizo in an area that constantly drains your health after a forced swim though lava and a room where you have to kill those super jumper things with 6! super missiles.[/spoiler]

Overall I like the idea behind this hack but I felt it was very uneven. I dunno why this game gets classified as vanilla difficulty this is much harder then Super Metroid. It's not insane rom hack hard but a mixture of nonsense like fighting bosses in water pre gravity suit, nothing in game that hints at beam stacking leading to less damage, enemies that do unnecessarily large amounts of damage and have pointlessly extra health don't make it a hack I'd recommend to a casual Metroid fan.

Design wise I appreciated being able to have a lot of freedom of where I went but there was a lot of things that felt random. Tons of pointless grapple beam spots everywhere, the mega ball a new mechanic that as far as I could find has one use (getting the high jump boots) and is in an area (steam fair not ridley's lair) that has no boss unless you take an overly hidden route to the core, unfinished areas that were either filled with random missile tanks or nothing at all.

I feel like I was overly negative on Ice Metal but I still had a fun time with it. The creator clearly had a lot of good ideas (I really liked the map screens having story bits) and his redone art was largely impressive. I'd really like to see the creator be able to take the ideas he had for Ice Metal and apply them to an original game detached from Super Metroid since I feel most of the issues with the hack come from the fact the creator had to work within what already exists in Super Metroid.
Nice to hear that you mostly liked the hack, even if the ending wasn't what you hoped for. Ice Metal was listed as vanilla difficulty on metconst because in general it can be around that level or easier if players take the time to explore a lot to find hidden upgrades. But yes, it can also be way harder for players if they miss a lot of upgrades and pick a path through the game that is hard. Due to the open-ended nature of the hack there are a ton of different routes you can take.

Ice Metal was the first full sized game I completed, with a development time of six years and three restarts from scratch. I'm fairly proud of it as an achievement, but I can definitively see a lot of flaws with it that I'd change today. I don't really have anything else to show right now, but I am working on a proper indie game these days. :P

Regardless, thanks for taking the time to play this and sharing your thoughts~

BassForever

Quote from: Lunaria on January 15, 2017, 05:46:13 AM
Quote from: BassForever on January 14, 2017, 08:33:45 PM

It was supposed to be a larger area @BassForever, but then I kind of ran out of things to do with it as well as put there. I would have wanted to extend it but I just never got around to it. There was an e-tank there in a previous version, but it was later "moved" to another section of the game.

Quote from: BassForever on January 14, 2017, 08:33:45 PMEdit: Finished 90% cleared got all major upgrades missed 6 missiles, 1 super missiles, and 3 power bombs.

Nice to hear that you mostly liked the hack, even if the ending wasn't what you hoped for. Ice Metal was listed as vanilla difficulty on metconst because in general it can be around that level or easier if players take the time to explore a lot to find hidden upgrades. But yes, it can also be way harder for players if they miss a lot of upgrades and pick a path through the game that is hard. Due to the open-ended nature of the hack there are a ton of different routes you can take.

Ice Metal was the first full sized game I completed, with a development time of six years and three restarts from scratch. I'm fairly proud of it as an achievement, but I can definitively see a lot of flaws with it that I'd change today. I don't really have anything else to show right now, but I am working on a proper indie game these days. :P

Regardless, thanks for taking the time to play this and sharing your thoughts~

Was there an alternative way to get the gravity suit without fighting Botwoon in water? That alone should put the game above Vanilla difficulty :P

Thanks for responding and for making the hack. I do look forward to your indie project whenever it sees the light of day.

Lunaria

Nah you need to fight Botwoon underwater to get gravity, that being said the water physics are modified to provide somewhat easier movement than in vanilla SM. That being said, the definition of "Vanilla Difficulty" on metconst we have is roughly around the level of super metroid. Some things are harder in IM, for sure. But there are also plenty of things that are easier as well, (for example, energy and missile pick-ups provide quite more substantial recovery than what they do in Super Metroid).

At the end of the day the only one who can accurately judge if the difficulty is right the players themselves, but I think the classifications we use in the hack database to be fair enough to provide a decent heads-up on what to expect. :P

Amorsis

Lunaria I have a question about aquiring a certain Item that is before Kraids room.

[spoiler]Theres an Item statue that is enclosed just under the door when you go to kill the pink Mini-Kraids. Could you drop a hint as to how I get said Item? Ive been looking for around quite awhile and I've ran out of ideas.[/spoiler]

CaRmAgE

Quote from: Amorsis on February 16, 2017, 12:54:11 PM
[spoiler]Theres an Item statue that is enclosed just under the door when you go to kill the pink Mini-Kraids. Could you drop a hint as to how I get said Item? Ive been looking for around quite awhile and I've ran out of ideas.[/spoiler]

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, that's just decoration.  [spoiler]There actually aren't any expansions in the pink Mini-Kraid room.[/spoiler]