News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid: Acidfall (Formally Metroid: Norfair)

Started by Scout1297, October 15, 2016, 08:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scout1297

Metroid: Acidfall is a Metroid hack revolving around a GF trooper landing in Norfair with an original story that takes place before Samus is even born.

PICTURES
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
METROID Norfair DEMO 0.3: The Bubble Update

AuroraxPhilic

Not to uh -- well, be a dick or anything, but looking at the pictures, this hack doesn't look very promising. I'll definitely give this a shot though; 'never knooow... :3 (That spoiler omg why...)

TheDruggedMetroid

Well..

This looks...

Terrible...

Okay, Maybe i'm being a bit harsh but this doesn't look like you put much effort into development...

You might be saying "Look who's talking."  but my hacks are either spoofs/parody's or stuff I never really had the time to make...

Anyways this hack gets a 4/10 "Good idea but little to no effort"

AuroraxPhilic

You're really one to talk @TheDruggedMetroid . You've done this same but on a more stupid level. You don't have a leg to criticize, don't pretend to think you can just rate this hack without even giving it a try. At least there's something to download here.

#AQuestionablyRedPost

Grimlock

If you plan on making a bunch of custom graphics then definitely do that before you build anything major in the game editor.  Get comfortable with the structure editor and palette editor as well since you'll need to use them to use your new tiles properly.

Scout1297

Well thanks for your, uh, encouraging comments :pwuh:
And I am messing around with tile loader pro right now, I have a lava animation done.

Scout1297

Demo V0.1.5
Now with original graphics for the area.

Steel Sparkle

The picture looks nice. A hack centered around a specific area eh. This could be promising. Good luck!

Scout1297

Quote from: Steel Sparkle on October 16, 2016, 04:07:41 PM
The picture looks nice. A hack centered around a specific area eh. This could be promising. Good luck!

Technically it will have many areas but all of them will be in Norfair.  :twisted:

Scout1297

More palate, sprite, and animation face lifts.

Further Updated Entry Room:

Acid Rain(Hoping to make it actually harm you...):

And sorry but I can not gif  :bounce:

Tahazzar

I like the idea of concentrating on a single area/zone very much. Restrictions breed creativity and all that.
The new graphics look neat IMO; nothing that fancy, but crisp and new - yet familiar (well mostly I like the palette but whatever).

Has anyone actually been able to play the hack/demo (v 0.1.5)? The ips is not working for me...

The best I can get after selecting "START" on the patched file is some music and a black screen. Opening the file on Editroid gives an error message about encountering an overflow exception.
I think you didn't apply or set the "base file" (unmodified ROM) for the patch correctly...

Scout1297

Quote from: Tahazzar on October 18, 2016, 06:48:17 AM
I like the idea of concentrating on a single area/zone very much. Restrictions breed creativity and all that.
The new graphics look neat IMO; nothing that fancy, but crisp and new - yet familiar (well mostly I like the palette but whatever).

Has anyone actually been able to play the hack/demo (v 0.1.5)? The ips is not working for me...

The best I can get after selecting "START" on the patched file is some music and a black screen. Opening the file on Editroid gives an error message about encountering an overflow exception.
I think you didn't apply or set the "base file" (unmodified ROM) for the patch correctly...

Oh well that sucks, the previous one without the modified graphics was working when I patched a rom but I forgot to test this one XD. :blush: I think I patched a rom that was modified only by expansion. Might as well release a new version with the even more updated graphics(including an updated character model I am eventually going to change the palate for). So I give you Demo V0.1.6(at the top of the topic) :twisted:
Let me know if it works

Grimlock

Post some examples of your graphics, I'd like to help you with some feedback if you're interested.

Scout1297

Quote from: Grimlock on October 18, 2016, 02:35:55 PM
Post some examples of your graphics, I'd like to help you with some feedback if you're interested.

If you look in the pictures section of the main post(I keep updating it with every demo update) you can see my backgrounds.
However here is a mockup of the character.(and yes the character is supposed to be a GF trooper... at least for now) The one in the actual game is modified from this version but still close to these, and I still have not put the correct palate onto the in game one(the palate you see in this mockup(and yes it is real NES colors)).

I have actually been practicing NES styled pixel art for a while now(maybe 6 months).

Tahazzar

Quote from: Scout1297 on October 18, 2016, 08:17:59 AMSo I give you Demo V0.1.6(at the top of the topic) :twisted:
Let me know if it works

So I went through it... The demo ends pretty much after when you get hi-jump, right? (3 energy tanks and 10-15 rockets or so)

It didn't leave much of an impression truth to be told. Obviously the lack of different (looking) environments was a bit jarring. Also, generally the level design was similar to the original NEStroid. IMO you ought to try out something different with the room layouts for example.

I would have expected you to (for example) make areas that are made with very specific enemy in mind - maybe even only have that one type of enemy. That could/would be one way (that I can think of) to maximize the use of the area/zone. It would also be an interesting design exercise.

Scout1297

Quote from: Tahazzar on October 19, 2016, 02:37:58 AM
So I went through it... The demo ends pretty much after when you get hi-jump, right? (3 energy tanks and 10-15 rockets or so)

It didn't leave much of an impression truth to be told. Obviously the lack of different (looking) environments was a bit jarring. Also, generally the level design was similar to the original NEStroid. IMO you ought to try out something different with the room layouts for example.

I would have expected you to (for example) make areas that are made with very specific enemy in mind - maybe even only have that one type of enemy. That could/would be one way (that I can think of) to maximize the use of the area/zone. It would also be an interesting design exercise.
First of all thanks for your feedback.  :grin:
I want the design to be at least somewhat similar to the original metroid but I still want difference in it. So I will take this in mind.
I think I will add more rooms with the morph ball in mind as well.

AuroraxPhilic

So I've finally gotten around to playing your hack. My thoughts:

• This is too short to really be considered a demo.
• It surprising, you incorporated some elements from my hack into yours. (#Feelz Honorz) That...or it was all just a big coincidence, in which case, fffffffffffff.
• There isn't enough her to really say wether level layout will turn out good, but, it does unfortunately feel (and shaping out to be) like another average metroid hack with meh layout; nearly no thought put into it.
•Animation ranges from, that's pretty good; to, eeehhhhhhhh no.
• Certain rooms have bs enemy placement as you enter the room, causing unavoidablee damage.

The Gist: It feels like it can have potential, but it doesn't in it's current state. There is quite literally, nothing here to base any future analysis. There simply isn't enough here. You have released something that isn't worth anyone's time, and doesn't show any mechanics. Sorry. :(

Perhaps it would be in your interest to work on this more, rather than continuously updating something that is only at 7% completed, with much polished needed.

Scout1297

Quote from: AuroraxPhilic on October 19, 2016, 04:11:29 PM
So I've finally gotten around to playing your hack. My thoughts:

• This is too short to really be considered a demo.
• It surprising, you incorporated some elements from my hack into yours. (#Feelz Honorz) That...or it was all just a big coincidence, in which case, fffffffffffff.
• There isn't enough her to really say wether level layout will turn out good, but, it does unfortunately feel (and shaping out to be) like another average metroid hack with meh layout; nearly no thought put into it.
•Animation ranges from, that's pretty good; to, eeehhhhhhhh no.
• Certain rooms have bs enemy placement as you enter the room, causing unavoidablee damage.

The Gist: It feels like it can have potential, but it doesn't in it's current state. There is quite literally, nothing here to base any future analysis. There simply isn't enough here. You have released something that isn't worth anyone's time, and doesn't show any mechanics. Sorry. :(

Perhaps it would be in your interest to work on this more, rather than continuously updating something that is only at 7% completed, with much polished needed.

If by elements of your hack you mean the doors for morph ball then yes. I was going to do it without doors using scrolling but once I played some of your hack you did inspire me :D
I am planning on leaving the current stuff relatively the same to have the original Metroid feel.
Then the other areas and the other half or so of area 1 is going to be shaken up a bit(hopefully)
Also, what animations are bad? :?:
And pardon if I may, what would it take to make a spring ball? would I have to know assembly like a baus?  :bounce:

AuroraxPhilic

The animations that I find bad are the waterfall, and the eyes on the dragon thing. Everything else is well done; in fact, it seems as if you have made a more refined version of my item ball animation; which does look slightly more smoother than mine. (Look at my Item Ball, and yours to know what I'm talking about. :3) I hope you're enjoying my hack. :)

Hmm. I only know how to read asm code. If you wanna program spring ball in, you'll have to know x6502 Assembly language, which is not an easy language to learn, read the code of Metroid to understand it's physics, and learn how manipulate and program for it. That's not easy; I would highly suggest talking with @snarfblam about that; he's the M1 asm guy around here, he is a bit burnt out over Rogue Dawn however. :P

Flower

I played it, and some things are implemented quite well. Will you continue doing your own graphics? If you do, bring some diversity into the game,
what i've seen so far looks nice.
Your character is nice designed.
Your hack was easy to attend, not that much of exploring and backtracking required, some will like that others absolutely don't. When i was finished playing, i didn't feel a great reward, i guess maybe you want to keep it easy?

Give it a lot more work and polish and the outcome could be something lasting and nice.

Scout1297

Quote from: Flower on October 21, 2016, 12:32:58 PM
I played it, and some things are implemented quite well. Will you continue doing your own graphics? If you do, bring some diversity into the game,
what i've seen so far looks nice.
Your character is nice designed.
Your hack was easy to attend, not that much of exploring and backtracking required, some will like that others absolutely don't. When i was finished playing, i didn't feel a great reward, i guess maybe you want to keep it easy?

Give it a lot more work and polish and the outcome could be something lasting and nice.
I don't want to keep it easy, I want it to get progressively hard the further you venture into the unknown.

And something feels different... but I don't know what...  :razz:

Scout1297

Doors and characters and palates oh my! :whoa:

Genesis

I don't see any bubbles.
Clickbait confirmed.

Scout1297

Quote from: Genesis on October 27, 2016, 12:11:18 AM
I don't see any bubbles.
Clickbait confirmed.
Bubbles will come later when you go deeper into the caves, better save the best for last... right?  :nuhuh: :nod:

Quietus

A bubble endue thee;
Hubbub'll ensue - see!