News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid: Space Complex

Started by Flower, October 15, 2016, 02:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flower

Drafted some nifty snowy landscape plus snowstorm.
Nothing finished, not at all, but what do you think?

Quietus

The terrain part looks cool, but I'd say it needs fewer snowflakes fallign, as it currently looks too busy, and loses the appearance of snowflakes. If it's a storm, you could also consider having the snow falling at a sharper angle than the obvious 45°, though that may already look better by reducing the flakes. :^_^:

Yuki

Just wanted to make a comment, if the brinstar graphics are still what's in the first post, I think you can preserve the effect without having the kinda eyesore brightness by adjusting all the purple shades a few bit deeper while maintaining the difference ratio, right now it's kinda hard to look at.

Flower

Quote from: Quietus on November 27, 2017, 08:02:34 PM
The terrain part looks cool, but I'd say it needs fewer snowflakes fallign, as it currently looks too busy, and loses the appearance of snowflakes. If it's a storm, you could also consider having the snow falling at a sharper angle than the obvious 45°, though that may already look better by reducing the flakes. :^_^:
Hey Quietus I'll try out your suggestions.
What i wanted to add though, i plan having snow becoming denser over time once you traverse through that level. What you see above is snowstorm at full action and full blow. It consists of the bigger whiter flakes (thus in the foreground)  falling at 45° and the smaller grey flakes (background) falling straight down. I wanted to evoke the impression of multiple snow layers. Maybe i show some video, or just new gifs, when your advices are taken into consideration and even something more to show.

Quote from: Kenta Kurodani on November 27, 2017, 08:12:30 PM
Just wanted to make a comment, if the brinstar graphics are still what's in the first post, I think you can preserve the effect without having the kinda eyesore brightness by adjusting all the purple shades a few bit deeper while maintaining the difference ratio, right now it's kinda hard to look at.
Hey Kenta, now that's interesting because i myself was no longer happy with that particular palette choice, it was too jarring! (i have to update the first post by the way!)
At the state as of now the palette is a mix of dark purple and earth tones. I show you an example picture later (as i am not at home right now).  Then let me know what you think of this.

dewhi100

If it's a driving snow, consider sheets of flakes. If its lighter snow, the flakes should be falling in different patterns.

Sinis

Quote from: Scout1297 on October 10, 2017, 03:56:45 PM

ITS DANGEROUS TO GO ALONE, TAKE THIS

Reminds me of something I posted to Mindflower back on RHDN forums in Sept 2017  :^_^:

Very similar I see  :lol:

By the way Mindflower, I finally decided to register on here to just say if you want an extended sprite sheet for my Samus sprite just let me know.  I'll be free on the weekends to lend a hand on anything that you may need help with in that aspect or anything else :)

Flower

Hello Space Pirates,

first of a Happy New Year!

To prove i have done something, here's a picture of a the reorganization of the Green Tiles (means rounden up the design while minimizing the tiles needed). I am quite happy with the result. This is a playground for the new Tiles:

I copied all Tiles from Norfair to Ridley Area (long and tedious work let me tell ya), cause i recognized this being better suited for the Green Area. And the Temple.
Norfair is now a rather liquid surrounding ^^.

And a random landscape picture of Brinstar to show the final (at least i think so) palette choice
As mentioned earlier.

I composed three new songs with MetroidTuner. I am slowly ready to release a full album  :^_^: Makes me wonder if and how i can squeeze all this into the ROM.
I am gonna upload the new songs anytime soon.

Quote from: Sinis on January 05, 2018, 07:29:45 PM
Quote from: Scout1297 on October 10, 2017, 03:56:45 PM

ITS DANGEROUS TO GO ALONE, TAKE THIS

Reminds me of something I posted to Mindflower back on RHDN forums in Sept 2017  :^_^:

Very similar I see  :lol:

By the way Mindflower, I finally decided to register on here to just say if you want an extended sprite sheet for my Samus sprite just let me know.  I'll be free on the weekends to lend a hand on anything that you may need help with in that aspect or anything else :)
Hey Sinis, now you're here, welcome!
Well a full Samus Sprite sheet with that design? Would be f***ing awesome! I honestly had problems yet mostly with Samus in upwards shooting pose. I would very very much appreciate your help in that regard.

I experimented with snow as well (example picture above), but that's nothing to show off, yet.

Furthermore i drew a few plans and ideas. This time i want to do it much more foresighted; i wanna know beforehand what i am doing the best I can. A neat little example is this :

That's it for now.

Sinis

Jan 13th is when I can begin working on the Samus sheet for you.  I'll make everything that is required for the game and if you need any customized moves for whatever just give me the details via a PM, or email link in my profile, and I'll create those as well  :^_^:

Flower

After playing through the whole Rogue Dawn i am honestly wondering what i could do to make another hack that leaves a mark, does an impression. With other words: What could i do that hasn't already done by that team, but better.
Also, Grimlock had so many ideas in terms of level design that i also had in mind, which would make my hack seem like a rip-off. With such a creative output it's no real wonder.
Kudos! Such a great thing. One of the best hacks ever!

Kind of existential crisis what i have now.
At least my background music is a unique selling point. And some tiles.

Sinis

I know the feeling on that.  When Optomon released The Holy Relics I had similar ideas for Resurrection of Darkness.  Some stuff I'll take a different approach on while tossing a few others out as I don't want to be seen as a copycat either  :^_^:

I'm all for pitching in ideas as I have written down an extensive amount of things for a lot of projects that I have planned and some that may never see the light of day.  You got my PM in return as I'm happy to help in any way possible :)

Sinis

I'm actually halfway done with creating the stuff for MindFlower so figured I'd show off the new Samus sprite that he's going to get sometime later in the week once I make the movements more fluid  :^_^:

The old is on the left as the new one is on the right.  Still a random sprite palette and yes it does fit into the space that's assigned within the game's data.  Using and utilizing most of the space to make Samus look bulky by being in an actual suit.

Once I'm done and satisfied with it I'll send it to him via  YYCHR sheet  :yay:

Flower

Quote from: Sinis on January 14, 2018, 01:22:56 PM
I'm actually halfway done with creating the stuff for MindFlower so figured I'd show off the new Samus sprite that he's going to get sometime later in the week once I make the movements more fluid  :^_^:

The old is on the left as the new one is on the right.  Still a random sprite palette and yes it does fit into the space that's assigned within the game's data.  Using and utilizing most of the space to make Samus look bulky by being in an actual suit.

Once I'm done and satisfied with it I'll send it to him via  YYCHR sheet  :yay:
Looks great! I am very curious what's about to come out in the end. Maybe you want to design the ending scene as well. But that's no urging thing! :)
Further than that i had in mind one suit design for every area. Would you be interested in designing more suits? I would communicate each design philosophy with you in all detail :).
Cheers!

Sinis

I'm still ironing things out.  I did screw up on the shoulder armor during the walk sequence so I'm working on that so it does look fluid.  I also changed the left leg because I somehow got it one pixel too long so shortened that while also extending the arm that's holding the barrel since it felt too close towards the body.  Other than that, I have the firing up animation to work with to match it with the legs while moving and the jump animation.  That's pretty much it.

A suit for each area?  I'll be more than happy to do such a thing for you as I'll now have a Samus sprite base to work on.  There is one thing that did catch  my attention.  There are unused sprites within the game's data that I saw on YYCHR for Samus to face left and right with different appearances.  I know the very bottom ones are active while the upper ones are not.  Did you want me to go ahead and make both left and right side appearances?  Not sure if you have implemented that or not so needed to ask :lol:

Flower

Quote from: Sinis on January 15, 2018, 10:52:21 AM
  There are unused sprites within the game's data that I saw on YYCHR for Samus to face left and right with different appearances.  I know the very bottom ones are active while the upper ones are not.  Did you want me to go ahead and make both left and right side appearances?  Not sure if you have implemented that or not so needed to ask :lol:
You could do, but in the first place i had no plans to modify asm on my own. Well i try to get my head into assembler language but I'm a bloody beginner.
So you COULD draw those unused tiles, but certainly they will stay unused. I also recognized unused or doubled tiles in the sprite banks now that you mention it. Maybe one can use it, but as of now, no! ;]

Sinis

Lol, fair enough then!  I shall not touch them and finish up today  :^_^:

Flower

Quote from: Sinis on January 16, 2018, 09:49:29 AM
Lol, fair enough then!  I shall not touch them and finish up today  :^_^:
I am hyped for Samus's new look ^^ and this will give a certain urge to push things, which is good! =)

Sinis

Flower

I also was eager trying to design a new area.
Hot sands!
Well, it's a very early and incomplete mockup, trying to find out the strengths of this design choice. It's also  unpolished and i am open for criticism of all kind.

Flower

Another incomplete tilesheet,
underwater underground!

Well this i a lot of work to be honest! I wanted to show the work during formation.   

Flower

What happened last :
Some rumors of a construction site: airship visited.
This is were it all began.

Man this is heavy work!
Gonna try to use one Brinstar Frame for this, and the other frames for the animated rest of the area.

Flower

Success!
Spent two days, with the result that a Spaceship has arrived.
A frame reserved for this Screen, edited screen assembler code, Palettes adjusted, Pixels placed. Plus you see the front view of the awesome Space Suit Sinis did for me.

Guess this will be the start of the adventure. Looks familiar? Well, it's NES Metroid! :)

Cheers

dewhi100

FelixWright

Quote from: Flower on January 24, 2018, 03:02:24 PM[spoiler]
Success!
A frame reserved for this Screen, edited screen assembler code, Palettes adjusted, Pixels placed. Plus you see the front view of the awesome Space Suit Sinis did for me.

Guess this will be the start of the adventure. Looks familiar? Well, it's NES Metroid! :)

Cheers[/spoiler]

Awesome ship, though it looks a lot bigger than Samus.

Flower

Quote from: Cosmic on January 26, 2018, 09:58:36 AM
Quote from: Flower on January 24, 2018, 03:02:24 PM[spoiler]
Success!

Cheers[/spoiler]

Awesome ship, though it looks a lot bigger than Samus.
Rightfully so, i got my inspiration from Super's Space Ship. In this Game Samus herself is a bit bigger, well a lot bigger. Here mainly 16×32, weren't it 32x48 in SM? I guess that's the main reason for the Ship seeming so big. But i can't see a bad thing in it. Thanks for the Flowers anyway ^^

Steel Sparkle