News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid: Space Complex

Started by Flower, October 15, 2016, 02:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dewhi100

The details are all unique, but on the larger scale it is all very same-y. Making more variations shape/color-wise might be harder in a sterile, inorganic setting but would be worth it. Maybe some scorch marks and debris for the experiment that went wrong?

Flower

Quote from: dewhi100 on May 18, 2017, 09:34:10 AM
The details are all unique, but on the larger scale it is all very same-y. Making more variations shape/color-wise might be harder in a sterile, inorganic setting but would be worth it. Maybe some scorch marks and debris for the experiment that went wrong?
You're right, it was a fast sketch to accommodate all the lab tiles i painted thus far. I just wanted to know how it actually looks in the game (as those tiles were all painted during train rides over weeks, now). And it turns out nicely. But i concur, i need far more variation! Your suggestions sound nice and would bring the lab to life.

In the meantime, here's Green Hill Zone
[spoiler][/spoiler]

dewhi100

Crazy details, amazing scenery. The trees have disappeared!

Quietus

I like the greenery. A couple of suggestions I can think of:

More items to break up the green, such as mossy rocks, or maybe tree stumps?
Change the vines (I presume they're vines) to look more dangly / wavey than spotty. :^_^:

Flower

Quote from: dewhi100 on May 18, 2017, 11:46:19 AM
Crazy details, amazing scenery. The trees have disappeared!
Ha, practice yourself in patience, their comeback is for sure. The trees deserve their own playground ;).
Quote from: Quietus on May 18, 2017, 12:03:44 PM
I like the greenery. A couple of suggestions I can think of:

More items to break up the green, such as mossy rocks, or maybe tree stumps?
Change the vines (I presume they're vines) to look more dangly / wavey than spotty. :^_^:
I like your ideas and consider realizing them soon!

Thanks for your responses!

Flower

Hey people i decided to release another demo with the latest changes. Still it's far from being finished, but there's some sense of progress since Space Demo v0.6.

In case of interest shoot a pm!!

The usual suspects out there already got a pm ;)

Some of the changes to the i remember :
[spoiler]

• Used more of some sprite works of Demick's Roidz Hack,
    most noticeable the Samus Sprite (dude you did an awesome job here!)
  • Optimized the Missile Doors' look.
  • Made the game less linear.
  • Added a few new screens in all three areas. (Brinstar, Kraid, Norfair - the others are not even started)
  • Reworked some palettes.
  • Corrected a Palette swap bug.
  • Rebalanced certain areas.
  • Drew more background layers, most certainty in the cave.
  • Made the world even more connected.
  • Removed the Bounce on Hurt Effect of the Hurting Tiles (what do you think about this?)
  • Made some areas easier to navigate and traverse through (most noticeable in Brinstar's vertical shaft)
  • Won some free space by optimizing some of the Combo layouts.
  • Got rid completely (at least i hope so) of scrolling issues.
[/spoiler]

I couldn't get rid of at least two bugs, anyone some advice on those???

• Sprite issue, some sprites for example the morph ball upgrade, have some cut off corners. I don't know how to prevent this.
  • Sometimes when you die, afterwards you have more/less energy tanks/missiles than before. I don't know how to address this, i used the "Generate Password Tracking Data..." cautiously, but with no success. Help!

Other than that, have fun.
Very curious about your feedback!

Cheers!

Flower

Hey, this hack is still alive.
That's one of the things i did lately:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
Yep, an old screen, for those who playtested a later demo, but with more layers and polish.

Cheers!

benox50

Looks dope, I love the colors here  :yay:

Quietus

Haha, I love the sad pumpkin / fire faces that look like they're sad because they're stuck. :grin:

Flower

Quote from: Quietus on June 16, 2017, 06:21:40 PM
Haha, I love the sad pumpkin / fire faces that look like they're sad because they're stuck. :grin:
Those poor guys until now are not participating in the game. :'(

MetroidMst

Those faces are the best thing I have seen.

Flower

Hey folks,

in the meantime i had plans how to do a slimy mushroom area.
Some little ideas i had during a trainride:
[...]

EDIT:
... Sorry my imgur app doesn't work properly. Results soon (what a shitty app by the way).

Flower

Today i got it to work somehow.
Someone got a better picture hoster app than the imgur app? Too many times the upload doesn't work properly.

Flower

New pics   :cool:
Been busy!

Floralfair
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Kraidcave
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

As well as the beginning of Slimy Ridley Mushroom Disaster. Stay curious!

Quietus

The Kraidcave stuff is all good, as is most of the Floralfair, but those regular vines wrapping round the trees looks weird, and makes them look like Christmas decorations. :^_^:

Flower

Quote from: Quietus on June 26, 2017, 05:30:17 PM
The Kraidcave stuff is all good, as is most of the Floralfair, but those regular vines wrapping round the trees looks weird, and makes them look like Christmas decorations. :^_^:
Now that you're saying it, right! Do you also have a suggestion how to address that? I wouldn't like to remove them at all, but maybe their look could be optimized.
Besides thanks for feedback. Cheers!

dewhi100

Vines don't wrap around stuff as much as you'd think. They generally follow the directions of the trunk / limb they're on. So less horizonal vine, more vertical.

Flower

Quote from: dewhi100 on June 27, 2017, 01:44:38 PM
Vines don't wrap around stuff as much as you'd think. They generally follow the directions of the trunk / limb they're on. So less horizonal vine, more vertical.
That's a good idea to follow. Will do so! =)

Besides i got motivation agaim to progress with the hack. I had previously lost my will for some weeks.

Flower

Quote from: Quietus on May 18, 2017, 12:03:44 PM
A bit late, but i wanted to ask what you exactly meant with that @Quietus.

Quietus

Hmm, I meant that the vines you have look very busy with the bright green, and it's harder to see the detail underneath. If you can excuse my poor art skills, here's what I was thinking of, though it looks like you could also use another colour, as I only used one green.

I hope that makes sense. :^_^:

(Having zoomed in on your picture, you may find that the problem disappears if you just darken the bright green so it's closer to the dark green. At the moment, it's too bright, and makes it hard to see the detail around it.)

jewelediris

Quietus

Quote from: jewelediris on July 26, 2017, 03:49:20 PM
can I play this yet?
If you read the OP, there are instructions on how to obtain the most recent demo version - 0.7. :neutral:

Flower

Hey, a short "Hello!" from my vacation in France. A desperately needed hiatus. I got new NES Tunes on the go.
Quote from: jewelediris on July 26, 2017, 03:49:20 PM
can I play this yet?
I stopped the distribution of Demo v0.7, i've made certain progress since then, i keep you informed when a new version is out. I can send you the most recent version when i am at home if you wish. Just send me a short message.

Bye!  :cool:

Flower

Just an experimental graphical draft i made during holidays. Splish splash!

Quietus

What you need is a section on the hack where you can ride upward on large bubbles, but they pop after standing on them for a while, so you have to hop between a few bubbles to reach the top. :^_^: