News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid: Space Complex

Started by Flower, October 15, 2016, 02:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grynold

Just love how much work you put into this graphicly and assembly whise (haven't listened to the music yet, saving that for the final game). Its coming along so Nice and as I said before don't rush it  :^_^:

Steel Sparkle

Nice to see so much work has been put into this hack. Amazing job so far! Those screenshots of things look very nice.

Flower

Thanks for the responses!

We came to the conclusion Space Complex is a rather generic name for the game, and also it's not representing the game's lore and story that well, so the decision has been made to come up with and make a more fitting and striking title.
A few proposals have been made, and those are up for vote now in my discord.
https://discord.gg/jfA2CCY
Choose wisely!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
On top of that some things were done for the hack:

WIP Tileset Designs:

WOODS

MARINE

DESERT

Recent screens of Marine Area:

The title screen is in the make right now, which can be considered roughly the third iteration.
Updates on that about to come!

Furthermore i am still searching for a new sprite designer, responsible for Samus Aran Suit Designs and Enemies.
My former companion sadly left the internet.
Maybe I'm looking for YOU?

Tahazzar

Flower

just a quick update,
desert has gotten worked on.

Flower

Time to breath some fresh air into this forum.
It's a desert update again!
There are many things that got worked on extensively, bg tiles, parallax scrolling, enemy and Samus sprites and overall polish.
https://youtu.be/YSwf_qv93MI

Also the team and followship behind Space Complex recently gained some momentum, which is really nice and (sometimes) overwhelming at the same time.
Most things focus on the discord to be honest.
https://discord.gg/UhRqEJs

Cheers.

ZeroSuitSammy

This looks gorgeous! It looks like, if executed properly, this could potentially top Metroid Rogue Dawn. No pressure :wink:
Looking forward to release!

Steel Sparkle

been occasionally popping in and out of this but those screenshots of the current progress look fantastic!

Flower

Hello,

this time i'll let the pictures speak for themselves.
A random serious of old and new area's tilesets, animations, mockups and WIP documents.

***** SURFACE AREA *****

***** CAVE *****

***** TEMPLE *****

***** MARINE AREA *****

***** DESERT AREA *****

***** COLD AREA *****

For more frequent updates please feel invited to join the discord https://discord.gg/UhRqEJs
Cheers!

Flower

and at the moment it's working out cave tileset-time!

Quietus

I love the waterfall. :cool:

Morinis

Quote from: Quietus on October 25, 2020, 03:42:20 PM
I love the waterfall. :cool:

So do I!

Sadly I could not get back onto my Sinis account so made a new one  :flap:

altoiddealer

Everything looks amazing, but I'm partial to the parallax sky in the dessert areas.  I think it's a little too catchy, especially the first teo rows of clouds that scroll even faster than Samua runa

Flower

Quote from: altoiddealer on December 28, 2020, 11:30:39 PM
Everything looks amazing, but I'm partial to the parallax sky in the dessert areas.  I think it's a little too catchy, especially the first teo rows of clouds that scroll even faster than Samua runa
i wanted to convey different parallaxing cloud layers for a serious depth in the scenery. so you would advise to adjust the scrolling speeds of the layers, and/or something else?
(just recently got back to work on the hack, thus my delayed response here)

altoiddealer

Well, looking at it again now, it's really not too bad.

I do suggest testing out 50% the current scrolling speed for all the layers.  I have a hunch that it would be an improvement, but also maybe not.  You're doing a brilliant job with the hack!

Grimlock

I'm looking forward to seeing your project pick back up Flower!  I'm still up for doing those snow animations at some point, life got in the way for a while.  :cool:

Flower

Quote from: altoiddealer on March 10, 2021, 11:15:49 PM
Well, looking at it again now, it's really not too bad.

I do suggest testing out 50% the current scrolling speed for all the layers.  I have a hunch that it would be an improvement, but also maybe not.  You're doing a brilliant job with the hack!

Hey altoidman,

the editing of the parallax frames is a very time consuming process. all of the 32 parallax frames are stored individually in the rom and needed to be hard edited to make changes.
i meticulously calculated the different cloud speeds, so they make a perfect loop after 32 frames, otherwise it wouldn't work. there are just a handful of dividers for 32, and i tried to make the best out of this. thus, changes are hard to do, and even if, i needed to make sure the loops work.
So i guess, i'll leave that part be as is. tbh, i'm too lazy to change that, not again.

Quote from: Grimlock on May 26, 2021, 12:14:19 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing your project pick back up Flower!  I'm still up for doing those snow animations at some point, life got in the way for a while.  :cool:
Yeah, i just decided to do just that! Life got the best of me too, and adding to that i lost interest and motivation for a longer period of time. i encountered some serious burn out; scope too huge, success too less. and too many roadbumps along the way.
I turned my heat on again by declaring one day a week for hacking. this seems a lot more manageable for my mind and my health too.
I'm glad you're still on board, and i'm looking forward to your snow attempts.

Cheers

Kremit44

This looks outstanding and it could give Rogue Dawn a run for it's money as top Nestroid hack. Good luck!

Flower

Hello!
In the recent two weeks i have been turning up gears and continued working on the hack.

We've been able to implement a custom sound engine onto the game, which grants me much more creative freedom as a composer, especially compared to the rather limited vanilla metroid sound engine.
Now we are using nesdoug's fork of famitone, namely Famitone5, instead.
Due to this i began reconstructing the game's soundtrack.
I show you some of those efforts here:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Surface Area Demo Track
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/519241262029602826/958341636579029062/surface_demo_1.3.mp3

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ice Cave Demo Track
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/519241262029602826/958137425090207814/Ice_Demo_1.3_quieter_drums.mp3

Underwater Marine Demo Track
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/519241262029602826/954058187517075506/water_demo_1.1_.mp3

Tech Area Demo Track
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/519241262029602826/956964162590875728/riptide_fabric_1.3.mp3

Other than that, this game means a lot of work, and there is still so much of it ahead, but it's going forward. :)
Sure this will be worked on solely on spare time, but i grew more confident that progress will be made.
So yes, this is mainly what I'm doing at the moment:

- Drawing out the world map and plot in regards to item progression and routing.
- Designing several tilesets
- Composing music and sound effects.
- Learning how to work with a custom sound engine including custom assembly, which i am still a beginner with (but I'm learning).
- and more.

Hope you all are doing great, stay healthy!
~. Mindflower .~

P.S. For more frequent updates on the progress, feel engaged to contact me on discord (Mindflower#7650 on Discord), and join the Space Complex-Channel! :)

Flower

I have been redoing the Surface Area Tileset, implemented it into the rom and made a first test room.

Flower

this is a work in progress Tileset, the Cave

Flower

reiterated on the floor tiling, imported it and built a cave demo room. Also featured is a parallax effect for the backlit opening, and i like how it turned out.

doc_remedy

You make me want to quit MY hack haha that parallax background, genius and I can't even comprehend how you achieved it! I wouldn't mind picking your brain over a few email exchanges possibly!

Flower

Hello,

i took a long break following the Covid-Years (is that a term now?), but now i want to make sure you all know i'm back in development. Hope you're all good, here are some pictures:

I'm doing all the things involved parallel, meaning assembly modifications, painting tilesets, composing the soundtrack, creating the world map, building the levels and more.

The latest world map mockup (spoilerfree):

Have a good day,
Mindflower

Flower

Heya,

i'm intensely working on this hack now believe it or not.

Today i pixeled a lot and this is the worksheet:

(It's a discord link so probably the pic will disappear at some point like all the other photos did.)

Will post some more updates soon.
-> if you wish to keep updated more frequently, visit my discord channel:
https://discord.gg/7UHHjWFZXU

Cheers!