News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid: Space Complex

Started by Flower, October 15, 2016, 02:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeoMasterZX

If those lights and the chozo block are there then I'd have used the excuse that they were terraformed, but that's just me.

Flower

Quote from: NeoMasterZX on December 13, 2016, 04:35:16 PM
If those lights and the chozo block are there then I'd have used the excuse that they were terraformed, but that's just me.
Ha good point neo.  :twisted: But i really intended to make it seem more cave like, so i appreciate every tipp how to achieve that. My plan is to reduce single chunks like Quietus pointed out and include big rock formations which i painted yesterday. That will be a huge step and i hope it fits in well. Gonna show you pics when I've got a sample screen ready. 

NeoMasterZX

Like I said That's just me, you do you man. But This hack of yours has been one of the most interesting to watch evolve over time. I can't wait to give it a go! :grin:

Flower

Plans for another (Sub)Area. I hope you can swim!
This is a very early and unpolished draft. BUBBLES!

Flower

Dropbox, where i am currently loading my pics to, will soon stop their service of public links, thus i need another good and working picture hoster. Any recommendations?

Added the question what is a good gif creator? Also currently working on some animations..

Zero One

Quote from: Flower on December 20, 2016, 03:55:35 AM
Dropbox, where i am currently loading my pics to, will soon stop their service of public links, thus i need another good and working picture hoster. Any recommendations?

Check this post. Figured I'd hop in before somebody suggests Imgur.

Quietus

I recently had that annoying piece of news as well, and having dug into it, it's apparently old news. They're also not doing anything with historic links, so everything will go down if it's in the 'Public' folder. :cry:

I just feel sorry for people who have entire sites with masses of links going down, potentially losing business and all sorts. :neutral:

Flower

Quote from: Quietus on December 20, 2016, 06:49:19 AM
I recently had that annoying piece of news as well, and having dug into it, it's apparently old news. They're also not doing anything with historic links, so everything will go down if it's in the 'Public' folder. :cry:

I just feel sorry for people who have entire sites with masses of links going down, potentially losing business and all sorts. :neutral:

Yep that's me. I had DJ mixes, metconst pics, and other stuff linked from here, what a mess!

Flower

Quote from: Zero One on December 20, 2016, 04:23:18 AM
Quote from: Flower on December 20, 2016, 03:55:35 AM

Check this post. Figured I'd hop in before somebody suggests Imgur.
Thanks i will!

Flower

Quote from: Flower on December 20, 2016, 03:53:02 AM

Plans for another (Sub)Area. I hope you can swim!
This is a very early and unpolished draft. BUBBLES!
Hosted with imgbox.com :

... Hmmm...

Ok pics 1&2 were declared as thumbnails, the last is the full size picture.

Ok had to clarify. It seems to work right!

Flower

Hey people, yeah i still live AND i finally found time again to work on my hack. (the family tête-à-têtes were nice but aggravating, haha!)
Today i started the cave design from scratch, with the attempt to make it look more like an actual cave. For that i designed some stones in many (did i say MANY?) iterations. After some trial and error, some bad stones, some good, and some not even looking like stones, i am happy with their appearance as now. They fill the scene with life.
Take a look on the latest draft, what do you say?

Next would be some stalactites hanging from above or something similar. The lights will also be added again, 'cause i like 'em a lot!

Flower

Started building a Stalactite Animation.

EDIT :
In a future step i want to make the drops fall faster, because they don't seem yet to really fall in that slow speed. I already kike the part where the drop hits the bottom.

DSO

I like the stones and the frowny face. Stalacite + animation is ok, but I hope the drops fall a bit faster ingame. This project is looking solid and I look forward to your progress.

And I would recommend adding skulls.

Flower

Quote from: DSO on December 30, 2016, 02:24:53 PM
Stalacite + animation is ok, but I hope the drops fall a bit faster ingame..
Yeah i already had the same thought!! (read above). Gonna modify it soon.

Yes that's a good thing to add! Gonna add that on my experimenting list ;)

I like the stones and the frowny face. This project is looking solid and I look forward to your progress.
Thanks!

Quietus

The animation looks OK, but I think the drip frequency should be significantly lowered.

Flower

Quote from: Quietus on December 30, 2016, 08:34:31 PM
The animation looks OK, but I think the drip frequency should be significantly lowered.
Hmm ok i guess this could only be achieved by having more frames in the animation, and i am already at 6 frames (which is a lot in NEStroid's case). Or do you have another idea? Actually i agree, there should be drops less frequently.

Grimlock

Quote from: Flower on December 31, 2016, 04:25:19 AM
Quote from: Quietus on December 30, 2016, 08:34:31 PM
Hmm ok i guess this could only be achieved by having more frames in the animation, and i am already at 6 frames (which is a lot in NEStroid's case). Or do you have another idea? Actually i agree, there should be drops less frequently.

I would recommend focusing on other areas of your hack for now and wait for the new Editroid to be released before getting too deeply into animations.  The new version of Editroid allows you to swap quarter sections of CHR tile sheets.  With the currently released version of Editroid you have to swap whole sheets which is a pretty inefficient use of tiles.  Focus on the core tiles for each area, level design, sprite work, and other stuff for now, I'm sure you'll find plenty to do before having to get into animation.

Steel Sparkle

That screen shot looks pretty nice! keep it up :3

Flower

Quote from: Flower on December 30, 2016, 02:38:23 PM
Yes that's a good thing to add! Gonna add that on my experimenting list ;)
And here come the Skulls (well, version 0.1)  :oh:

Flower

Flower

Further tile and layout experimentation in the Cave.
Be aware this is a draft, so things may (and likely will) change!

Recolored a few things:

Flower

I am still in graphics and layout planing phasis before i can really final layout my levels. But the Space Area and the Cave Area Graphics are near complete so soon i will begin to draw the levels.

Flower

Do you wanna hear the new songs immediately or do you wanna wait for that next release?
Upload now.
- 4 (33.3%)
Wait for next release.
- 8 (66.7%)
Total Members Voted: 12

The voting is now closed.

It's clear, you will gonna hear the new songs when i upload the next demo (anytime soon in the next weeks).
Whenever I've got a full soundtrack (or at least the main songs), i will upload that to YouTube.
Stay tuned

Flower

Prototyping

Norfair, Flora Area

Brinstar, interior part

==> all in planning phasis and unpolished!