News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Re: Room of the Month - September 2016

Started by Tarince, August 28, 2016, 10:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who made the Room of the Month?

Tarince
3 (13%)
Daltone
10 (43.5%)
Passarbye
2 (8.7%)
heenok
8 (34.8%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Tarince

I'm surprised that nobody has posted a room yet. This room is from me trying out new layouts so this won't be the final layout of the room, but I /like/ it. The palettes could use some work.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Quietus

I like it, though there are a couple of things I'd mention:
While the statue is no doubt meant to look like it's standing on the orange tiles, they look like background, thus leaving the statue looking like it's floating.
It's not likely that players would really notice, but try and randomise things like grass. All of the patches in your room look like copy / paste material.

Tarince

Quietus, I think I am going to take those out to be honest. There wasn't really any room for grass in this room, but I tried incorporating it anyways, which is why there are a couple of patches of it and it all looks the same. I was going for a fall style theme anyways, so I guess grass may not fit the criteria.

Also, those foreground tiles could use some lightening up; you're absolutely right. Trying to get this layout solid and maybe add some stuff to this tileset so I can make a mini hack with a fall theme.

passarbye

Edit: updated because a lot was missing/unfinished, sorry about that.

Behold!
[spoiler]I have returned :^_^:
[/spoiler]

heenok

[spoiler][/spoiler]
i guess the room would be more interesting if it wasn't monochromatic but i couldn't figure out how to do that without drawing a lot of tiles, i guess i'll revisit this tileset later to make it more like some kind of invading tissue. btw watch the webm, i forgot to move around to show that the eyes can track the player but you get the idea.

Hawntah

Quote from: passarbye on August 30, 2016, 07:31:40 PM
Edit: updated because a lot was missing/unfinished, sorry about that.

Behold!
[spoiler]I have returned :^_^:
[/spoiler]
What's the top right part for? Hidden item? Not a fan of this here, it looks odd:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

and the palette's barely any different from the original, but other than that it's a really nice room. I can't wait to see more.

passarbye

Quote from: Hawntah on September 01, 2016, 07:24:33 AM
What's the top right part for? Hidden item? Not a fan of this here, it looks odd:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

and the palette's barely any different from the original, but other than that it's a really nice room. I can't wait to see more.
To be honest I've been having a hard time working with this tileset because it lacks a lot of transitional tiles from horizontal to vertical (the slopes are only vertical, they've not been rotated for any horizontal use). Sadly the original Brinstar tileset is the same way because they were all pretty much formatted the same.
The section you pointed out was me trying to vary the tiles used, but I think sometimes experiments don't look right visually because everyone sees things differently.
I wanted that wall to look like something you can plainly wall-jump from. The hack I'm working on makes Power-Grip optional until after Bombs, so designing vertical levels that can be traversed with wall-jump and/or power-grip is kinda hard, combined with the fucked up tileset.

I could change that bit up, but I was just tired of re-using the only two 16x16 flat tiles in the set. I think the palette is good (not amazing), definitely an improvement over the original though.
Here's a link to a map of the original for comparison (large image!)
[spoiler]http://vgmaps.com/Atlas/GBA/Metroid-ZeroMission-Brinstar.png[/spoiler]
The same tileset is to the middle-right of the image. (also notice they use a lot of horizontal rooms with this set)

Vismund Cygnus

I am so good at this.

[spoiler=Tarince][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Daltone][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Passarbye][/spoiler]
[spoiler=heenok][/spoiler]

please vote, for your own safety. Sorry I am so bad at updating this. I should be fired. In the meantime, vote here! It says it closes September 30th but honestly I won't update this until at least October 9th.  :colonrightv:

Steel Sparkle

got my Vote for Heenok. Maybe it's just me but it looks pretty cool.

SpoOkyMagician

Wow... All of these rooms look good to me... I cannot decide... Lemme break it down on each to maybe give me a better idea on whom to vote for...

@Tarince: Room design wise, it's nearly perfect. The only complaint I have is the Chozo. That is a background tile. Not a foreground tile. While I think it would be better as a foreground tile position, I am just nitpicking here. Anyway... Depth wise, its pretty good. (except what I said above.) ...Now that I look at it a bit, those floating platforms look a bit out of position... Like, they are connected to nothing. Unless it's a depth thing and it's on the wall... Overall though, a pretty solid room.

@Daltone: Room design is fine as well. A minor issue I have is the background. I feel like it could of been slightly better. Although, that tileset is hard to work with IMO... So, I can understand... Hmm, one thing I would like to see would be darker pipes. The red/white stand out a bit too much for me. Other than that, pretty good room.

@passarbye: Another good room design. I am gonna mention those weird floaty platforms on left/right top sides of the room. It could be a depth issue on perspective of course but, it just looks odd to me in general. Also, could you have changed the background color palette to a darker blue? Purple looks a bit off/odd to me. Other than that, solid room.

@heenok: Pretty generic room. Although, I like it. More floaty platform issues but, again, depth perhaps. I do like the tileset but, I feel like the depth could of been better. Maybe a darker red? (On the farther back tiles.) Maybe it's just me... Not sure. Overall, still a good room.

As for who to vote for... Hmm... Well, it may seem a bit unfair, I have to do with Daltone for this. It's the only room without floaty platform issues. Don't get me wrong though, all of the rooms are well designed otherwise. Excellent job everyone.

~ SpoOkyMagician

Quietus

Tarince for me, despite the levitating statue I mentioned before. :^_^:

Daltone

Quote from: Miranda Gemini on September 12, 2016, 09:04:27 AM
I am so good at this.
The best!

I vote for heenok Cuz its not really metroid and I want to try whatever it is, there better be demons in that area

crazyal02

Voted for heenok because there's jam all over the walls.

Mayo-chan

My vote goes for Heenok. I don't know what this tileset is for, but to me it looks like the inside of a monster's womb or something.

benox50

Heenok, looks new, organic and kinda creepy

RealRed

Daltone are you supposed to ascend through this room using high jump?

Daltone

Quote from: RealRed on September 16, 2016, 09:35:32 PM
Daltone are you supposed to ascend through this room using high jump?
Shutter dudes