News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Concerns with MEngine

Started by Tokinsom, May 03, 2016, 11:15:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedopefish

Quote from: SChase123 on May 03, 2016, 01:28:11 PM
srsly, dafuq did i do
dafuq did this happen

Since you seem genuinely clueless here:

You keep posting off-topic things in this thread amidst a very serious discussion, and then laughed at an admin stepping in.  Just, leave this thread be.

elol

I still think Physix has strived to make a fanmade of metroid but even if there is a fault in minimap, does not appear and into the screen turns black but still no reason for insulting Physix because he did wrong maybe it's an error think you have to give more time to fix it

Altheaas

So much crying in this thread it's unbelievable.

SChase123

Stop trying to make Physix never release his engine.
He can do whatever he wants. I'm pissed because of you guys just swooping in an telling Physix that he can never show off any of his amazing work.

thedopefish

Quote from: SChase123 on May 03, 2016, 01:33:26 PM
I'll leave this thread be. jfc

Quote from: SChase123 on May 03, 2016, 09:14:45 PM
He can do whatever he wants. I'm pissed because of you guys just swooping in an telling Physix that he can never show off any of his amazing work.

Quote from: FelixWright on May 03, 2016, 01:35:13 PM
Quote from: Physix on May 03, 2016, 01:30:24 PM
Quote from: FelixWright on May 03, 2016, 01:29:31 PM
Quote from: Nekoishi on May 03, 2016, 01:23:45 PM
Quote from: Physix on May 03, 2016, 01:19:18 PM
Shut the fuck up schase lmao.

Betatronic

Oh no, he's more than allowed to show off his work.

Just not ours.  :awesome:

interdpth

Quote from: Betatronic on May 03, 2016, 09:21:46 PM

Who are you? :D
Got a patent? Sucks he wants to continue good shit you started. Be happy, ass. :D

Betatronic

Quote from: interdpth on May 03, 2016, 09:24:06 PM
Quote from: Betatronic on May 03, 2016, 09:21:46 PM

Who are you? :D
Got a patent? Sucks he wants to continue good shit you started. Be happy, ass. :D

I have the physical proof I'm the creator of the artwork and a number of people to back me up on it. I didn't take super metroid assets and edit them. I made them from scratch.

And he's not really 'continuing what we started,' rather he's creating something completely apart from what we were doing that bears some similarities (mainly because he copied most of it) and happens to use the same project name.
I'm not sure the focus or designs are or will be anything alike. For all intents and purposes, this is "Metroid SR388, as made by Physix." Considering it's not really our game, why would we be grateful that he's continuing it?

Now don't get me wrong. I don't care if he makes "Metroid SR388." He's more than welcomed too.

We made those art assets with the intention of giving our project its identity, and it was never meant to be used by anyone else. I think since we put the work into it, its more than fair for me to say that. Feeling entitled to someone else's hard work doesn't mean you actually are entitled to it.

If he has a deep and desperate need to make it look good, then he can put the work into it. If he truly loves this idea as much he claims too, he doesn't need our work.
If it's my wish that my work is NOT stolen and used without permission, I think that's fair too. We never asked him to do any of this, and as such, I have no feelings towards it. I only care if it involves plagiarizing my work.

Why don't you lovely members of this community combine your skills and talent to help him make this an original venture?
This, rather than trying to support stealing the hard work of others?

Altheaas

Because you're being an asshole about it.

Zhs2

Now, I'm not saying it's okay to use stuff you don't have permission to. I'm not saying it's okay for people to be edgy and rude about the fact that other people are showing up to claim these permissions. I'm not saying it's okay to expect to build a game off of assets plucked from just about anywhere else that you haven't made and aren't royalty free (or maybe just heartfelt in the creator's eyes). What I do want to say is, wow, this guy AlexR sure does get a lot of flak for trying to pay at least some homage to a completely dead project. This might just be a community for collaboration, sure, but I ain't feeling that vibe from a bunch of guys who sure are proud of their private stuff. Still not to say that he's in the good going behind others' backs even after making a promise! Just that I feel the amount of drama raised by at least three artists now to be at least a little silly. Almost like one of the team members of the originally dead SR388 leaked this project behind *their* backs knowing it wasn't going anywhere and potentially feeling that someone out there might do it justice. Just a theory of mine.

Also, yes SChase123, I might not be an admin anymore but I can potentially smell how close you are to being banned for shitposting anyway. Cut it the fuck out lmao.

Betatronic

Quote from: Zhs2 on May 03, 2016, 10:06:25 PM
Now, I'm not saying it's okay to use stuff you don't have permission to. I'm not saying it's okay for people to be edgy and rude about the fact that other people are showing up to claim these permissions. I'm not saying it's okay to expect to build a game off of assets plucked from just about anywhere else that you haven't made and aren't royalty free (or maybe just heartfelt in the creator's eyes). What I do want to say is, wow, this guy AlexR sure does get a lot of flak for trying to pay at least some homage to a completely dead project. This might just be a community for collaboration, sure, but I ain't feeling that vibe from a bunch of guys who sure are proud of their private stuff. Still not to say that he's okay with going behind others' backs even after making a promise! Just that I feel the amount of drama raised by at least three artists now to be at least a little silly. Almost like one of the team members of the originally dead SR388 leaked this project knowing it wasn't going anywhere and potentially feeling that someone out there might do it justice. Just a theory of mine.

Also, yes SChase123, I might not be an admin anymore but I can potentially smell how close you are to being banned for shitposting anyway. Cut it the fuck out lmao.

As for me being 'an asshole about it' or 'raising drama over it,' you have to understand this is not the first time we've talked to him about it.
It's not even the second time.
By this point, we are all angry and frustrated with Alex over this. I actually did find out who leaked our materials, and it's someone who wasn't even a member of the group, meaning someone shared something confidentially, and that trust was broken.

Also, allow me to point out that paying homage to something means making your own creation that incorporates elements of the other in your design. However you are not paying homage to Konjaks "Legend of Princess" by taking Konjaks sprites and then making "Legend of Princess: My Version," and wondering why he's mad about it, since this you're continuing "Legend of Princess" as a full game. Especially when Konkak didn't even give you those sprites to begin with.

Again, it's not about someone making MSR on their own.

interdpth

...But did Nintendo consent to your content use, or did you rape them? If they said nothing, it's still rape.

Betatronic

Quote from: interdpth on May 03, 2016, 10:20:18 PM
...But did Nintendo consent to your content use, or did you rape them? If they said nothing, it's still rape.
First, let me remind you, these assets are not Nintendo's.

I made them. The form they take are an adaptation of some of Metroid's ideas, yes, but they are still my work. If I painted a picture of Samus and posted it to my art site, it still doesn't give you the right to take that art, color on top of it, and then repost it to your own account, just because it is an image of someone else's character. This is what they call "Art Theft."

Second, we never released these publicly, so 'consent' was never an issue to begin with.

Zhs2

Okay. I do understand the whole being angry with a particular individual who was repeatedly denied permission, but just as a third party, I still think it's kind of salty to deny anyone and everyone. Unless this is not the case, in which case you can feel free to correct me and clear up any sort of false assumptions I might be holding over MSR assets. Which are dead and leaked.

Perhaps "paying homage" was a poor choice of phrasing for any single case you can think of, but in the end of this one, it's a day late and a dollar short for the original product, isn't it? Almost anything relevant is going to be referencing it in some form if the base is at least some of these assets. Thus, homage, if not mimicry if you disagree. (Sorry for digging my own grave, sheesh.)

Digital_Mantra

Was this work ever going to see the light of day, or is this bickering thread the triumph of what you accomplished.

MetroidMst

Quote from: Betatronic on May 03, 2016, 10:29:37 PM
LOL
Seriously, if this is so the case, please feel free to get your assets patented and then give him a C&D. Simple as that. Unless you think there might be a problem with you doing that. . .

Betatronic

Quote from: Digital_Mantra on May 03, 2016, 10:32:09 PM
Was this work ever going to see the light of day, or is this bickering thread the triumph of what you accomplished.

You know what, it is probably time to drop it. Regardless of how people feel, I've said what I need to be said, and I'm sorry if anyone feels upset that I don't wish to share what I created with the public. I'm glad you like the work I did that much, but I don't wish for anyone to use it. Sorry.

Also, Mst, I don't claim copywrite of the IP, just the artwork I made of it. The admin already understands his community isn't about stealing art. Long as my work's not being posted here, I'm happy with that.

SChase123

I'm getting confused now.. Why, what, where, who, and how did this happen?

interdpth

Quote from: SChase123 on May 03, 2016, 10:44:47 PM
I'm getting confused now.. Why, what, where, who, and how did this happen?

Ask your parents, then go to bed.

Physix

Quote from: MetroidMst on May 03, 2016, 10:35:07 PM
Quote from: Betatronic on May 03, 2016, 10:29:37 PM
LOL
Seriously, if this is so the case, please feel free to get your assets patented and then give him a C&D. Simple as that. Unless you think there might be a problem with you doing that. . .

Shut the fuck up MetroidMst lmao.

I get it, I can't use it.
"If he has a deep and desperate need to make it look good, then he can put the work into it. If he truly loves this idea as much he claims too, he doesn't need our work."
That point, while true, is not in any way plausible. The quality bar has been set too high for me to just "put work into it" and get good results. Either I find an artist who's willing to work alongside me for free, or I pay someone with money which I don't have. Passion alone doesn't give me magical spriting super powers and the ability to singlehandedly make this game come to life. I had to use your sprites because there we no alternatives that matched the level of quality I was looking for. And when it comes to Metroid, custom sprites that fit your needs are pretty damn hard to come by. Boo hoo, right?

I've been trying to reach Troid92 and he's just so damn hard to get a hold of. His execution of MP2D came somewhat close to my own vision. I'd love to collaborate with him.

MollyAncalime

Sorry to interrupt this lovely shitfest, but Physix, if you are in need of a title logo/screen, I can probably help out if you PM me what exactly you're wanting. Then if you like what I can come up with there, we could talk about tilesets and other things.

Physix

Quote from: MollyAncalime on May 03, 2016, 11:45:27 PM
Sorry to interrupt this lovely shitfest, but Physix, if you are in need of a title logo/screen, I can probably help out if you PM me what exactly you're wanting. Then if you like what I can come up with there, we could talk about tilesets and other things.

That's the shit I do like!

Edit: To fix my MEngine map buffer, load up the project in GM:S and "save as" under a different project name. For whatever reason, that fixes everything to do with external files. Amazing job by YoYoGames, as always.

Tokinsom

Allow me to clear this up.

Yeah see that's what you guys don't get. We're not telling him he can't show off his amazing work. We're telling him he can't show off OUR work. And 90% of this engine is OUR work. He somehow got numerous assets and a build of my old engine, and is copying it down to the smallest detail and parading it around these forums and youtube. We're not just talking art assets here.

You're applauding his code, and that's it.

Now, something that really needs to be pointed out (again) is we've talked with AlexR/Physix about this MANY times in the past, and, well I'll refrain from personal attacks but I will say this: He has been impersonating and manipulating people to get these assets for YEARS. He has ~10 youtube accounts, he has ~20 accounts on various metroid forums, he has posted numerous metroid engines with assets ripped straight from my youtube videos, and has even posted some of my own videos and Von Richter's videos on his channels. Betatronic, our friends, and former teammates have gotten emails from him pretending to be someone else fishing for sprites, music, sounds, builds, code, etc. He's also been banned from every metroid forum countless times for trolling, shitposting, theft, impersonation, and multiple accounts. I've also had a number of break in attempts on my own accounts. Gee, wonder who that was. None of you have had the absolute pleasure of dealing with this nutcase on a personal level. He has been a thorn in our sides and shit on our shoes for a long time now.

At this point, it's not even about Metroid or MSR388. I am WAY past this project and fangames as a whole. Point is, it's straight theft, and despite my resentment for this project now, we worked way too hard on it to benefit AlexR/Physix of all people. We're long past coming to any agreements with him.

If you think we're the assholes then you guys are missing / ignoring some very crucial details here.

Thankfully, the admins here understand where we're coming from and have at least taken a few minutes to look at this from our point of view, unlike so many others here. So that's the end of it.

Now, on the topic of MSR388 and why we haven't released anything. We've kept a death grip on the assets for the following reasons:

1) ORIGINAL WORKS. A large portion of MSR388's assets were 100% original / made from scratch. This means we can legally use them for new, original, non-Metroid titles if we so desire. Music, sounds, tilesets, backgrounds, fx, etc. Do you get it now? Aside from Samus, enemies, etc. these assets are no different than those found in an original copyrighted indie game.

2) COPYRIGHT. This one is pretty important. There were over 20 contributors to MSR388 in all, though most of the work was by a handful of developers. It simply isn't up to one person to release these assets. Ultimately it is up to the individual creators to release their own assets, and that hasn't happened. Here's something to consider: the music and sounds for MSR388 are original works copyrighted by Von Richter - if we release them, then we not only disrespect his wishes, but we risk legal action. This is true for every asset that is not specifically related to Metroid.

3) REMAKE. There was a small chance of us assembling a new team and coming back to MSR388. We thought about it for a long while, but we're not highschool kids with infinite free time, and between personal and professional obligations we decided we simply don't want to do it anymore. It is a fan-game, after all, and there is very little to be gained. We all have real jobs in the video game industry now, and they're far more important. Also, Nintendo may be very lenient about fan-games, but there is still a chance they could shut down MSR388. We weren't going to take that risk.

4) PERSONAL VALUE. We don't owe the Metroid community anything. We'd rather hold on to these assets for their sentimental value or a reminder of the (good) times we spent working on the project. A lot of heart went into MSR388 and we're not just gonna tear it up and throw it out to the public to be slapped into dozens of random Metroid engines. Also, again, copyright.

Zero One

Please don't take anything SChase says as being representative of the views of everybody else, especially given his current status of being permanently banned for being an utter moron.

I'm hoping that this thread can get back on track now, as there's been a lot of hostility flying around it. The developers of the original MSR388 are well within their rights to withhold these assets, and we must respect those wishes. Provided there is no more evidence of theft, everything should be fine, and no actions will need to be taken.