News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Anyone else having trouble with Photo-Bucket?

Started by Grimlock, February 29, 2016, 05:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grimlock

They did an update recently, apparently to "ad" more clunk to their already clunky system....  5 minutes to upload 5.73 KB....  all the while high definition video ads are streaming across the page.

Any decent alternatives out there?  :bounce:

Vismund Cygnus

Normally I'd recommend Imgur, however embedding to the forum isn't working at the moment. It's still a decent alternative, I've never had any issues with uploading even from my crappy connection.

personitis

Dropbox. Though I remember there being something about newer users not having a public folder. Can't remember what all that affects, but if you just want to upload images to share with people, it should still be fine.

Jordan5

Yeah not having a public folder is a pain, but removing the ?dl=0 from the end of any links seems to solve many problems with sharing things :^_^:

Grimlock

Quote from: personitis on February 29, 2016, 06:00:08 PM
Dropbox. Though I remember there being something about newer users not having a public folder. Can't remember what all that affects, but if you just want to upload images to share with people, it should still be fine.

Can you embed to a forum with Dropbox?  I already use it for distributing files via email and PM. 

EDIT: it seems I can't upload anything to Photo-Bucket ATM.  I tried Explorer and Fire Fox, both a no go.

TheAnonymousUser

Quote from: Grimlock on February 29, 2016, 06:09:15 PM
Can you embed to a forum with Dropbox?  I already use it for distributing files via email and PM. 
iirc, you change ?dl=0 to ?raw=1 in the copied url if you want to embed stuff on the forum through dropbox?

personitis

Grimlock

TEST:

EDIT: With the ?dl=0 removed:

[spoiler]

A Half-Life "Rats" scale map I made:

[/spoiler]

EDIT: With ?dl=0:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Doesn't appear to work

Vismund Cygnus

Quote from: Grimlock on February 29, 2016, 07:08:55 PM
TEST:

EDIT: With the ?dl=0 removed:

[spoiler]

A Half-Life "Rats" scale map I made:

[/spoiler]

EDIT: With ?dl=0:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Doesn't appear to work
Try this:
Quote from: TheAnonymousUser on February 29, 2016, 06:12:50 PM
Quote from: Grimlock on February 29, 2016, 06:09:15 PM
iirc, you change ?dl=0 to ?raw=1 in the copied url if you want to embed stuff on the forum through dropbox?

[spoiler=Working][/spoiler]

Grimlock

Thanks, I was distracted and missed that (?raw=1).    :cool:

A Dummy

I've gotten Imgur to work by using the Image Link, which then seems to make the BBCode link work.
Random Metroid Fusion screenshot: http://imgur.com/uxOd1BE
Same thing in BBCode[spoiler][/spoiler]

Not as nice to use, but it still works at least.

snarfblam

Are you sure? If I recall correctly, Imgur has banned metconst from hotlinking because we're using too many bandwidths.

The image may be showing up in your own browser for any one of a number of reasons (it's your own image, your browser already has it cached, etc.), but I don't think it will show up for others.

Quietus

Correct. A Dummy's link works, but there's nothing in the spoiler.

A Dummy

Thanks for the confirmation on that, I'll just stick to using the Image Link then.
Now even my own spoilered image isn't showing up for me. XD
I got it to work once by first loading the Image link, which probably worked for the reasons snarfblam listed, but after refreshing the page again it just stays blank now.

SChase123

Quote from: Grimlock on February 29, 2016, 05:57:13 PM
They did an update recently, apparently to "ad" more clunk to their already clunky system....  5 minutes to upload 5.73 KB....  all the while high definition video ads are streaming across the page.

Any decent alternatives out there?  :bounce:
There is Gyazo.

Retroo

Does Gyazo links work inside of img tags do?  :^_^:

SChase123

Quote from: Retroo on March 27, 2016, 07:09:21 PM
Does Gyazo links work inside of img tags do?  :^_^:
To be honest, I'm not really sure.

TheAnonymousUser

Quote from: SChase123 on March 27, 2016, 07:50:15 PM
To be honest, I'm not really sure.
Then google some :/
From what I've found, adding the image extention (such as png/jpg) to the end of your gyazo link and putting that in between the [img] seems to work

SlyPork

For newer dropbox users:

Just take the link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vkfx0x4f2x0gx4q/20150629_213445.png?dl=0 (For Example)
and swap the www. with dl. and add on "usercontent" at the end of "dropbox"

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Zero One

There is also this post which details some alternate means of image hosting. IIRC, doesn't PhotoBucket recycle image URLs? If they do, I don't particularly want people hot-linking from it on MetConst, just in case the image is swapped out for something NSFW.

Yuki

Quote from: personitis on February 29, 2016, 06:00:08 PM

I'm sorry what? That sounds beyond stupid, easy sharing was half the reason I got dropbox in the first place

TheAnonymousUser

Quote from: SlyPork on March 28, 2016, 12:23:04 AM
For newer dropbox users:

Just take the link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vkfx0x4f2x0gx4q/20150629_213445.png?dl=0 (For Example)
and swap the www. with dl. and add on "usercontent" at the end of "dropbox"

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Or you could just do this:
Quote from: TheAnonymousUser on February 29, 2016, 06:12:50 PM

Quietus

It also depends on how long you've had it. If you were one of its early adopters, you just right-click and select 'Copy Public Link', and you'll be given the correct link for use with img tags.