News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

AN.T.I [ANother Terrible Idea] 0.5.1

Started by TheAnonymousUser, December 10, 2015, 12:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheAnonymousUser

Version 0.5 has addressed most of the feedback given on the contest version, and (hopefully) the hack should be more playable.

A.N.T.I Contest Thread | Hack Page (Metconst Beta)

[spoiler=Themes Used]Future - Because 2077, and because techie base thing
Desert - Because planet
Enter - Because you enter base and things happen
Sparcity - inb4 So Little Items
^ On a more serious note: Because limited items/ammo

[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Useless Plot]Samus. We have recieved intel from a Federation recon unit of recent suspicious activity on a desolate planet; code-named "ARD-067". We suspect this could be more space pirate activity. So we've decided to send you to this planet and investigate the vicinity. However, landing anywhere near the area will be impossible; a U.P.D.A sheild seems to been in effect around the area. You will need to find a landing spot around the U.P.D.A, then gather whatever intel you can find once inside. God speed, Samus.

[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Notable Changes From Vanilla]- Beam fire rate increased
- Walljumping is disabled
- All red/green doors reseal, but only require 1 shot to open
- Space jump behaves like prime's space jump
- Bombs are actually useful (something a lot of people forget)
- IBJ is disabled (however, you can still double bomb jump)
- You start with items...check your inventory...
- Useful stuff is in the readme...

[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Screenies]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Credits/Stuff used]Scyzer (Sadiztyk):
  Percentage patch
  Ammo refill patch
  [0.5] ROM warning patch
  [0.5.1] Morph lock patch

JAM:
  Accel Charge patch
  Start with items patch
  MM:SS Timer patch

Jathys:
  Credit sheet patch

DSO:
  [0.4.1.1] 20 tiletables patch (template patch)
  (Sorry bro. 0.5 doesn't use this now. still leaving this here though)

Crashtour:
  Double Jump patch

Squishy Ichigo:
  End Game BTS patch

Kejardon:
  Speed up intro text patch

Person:
  Prevent IBJ patch (because I'm a terrible person)

Black Falcon (Spreadfire):
  Saved this hack from being scrapped (found what crashed the game)
  Graphics (how did I forget to put that one in?)

Technomagus:
  Testing/Feedback

Eris Cloud (Errors):
  Testing/Feedback

Grime:
  Your SMILE tutorials are the shit
  G r i m E F o r C e

Metroid Construction:
  "The ultimate Metroid hacking resource" (They mean it)
  Destroying the hack (in every sense of the word)
  Other general tweaks/changes[/spoiler]

[spoiler=What was your first terrible idea?]Submitting to room of the week[/spoiler]

[UPDATE 14/12/2015]
[spoiler=Version 0.5.1 Changelog]
Version 0.5.1:
-Added Scyzer's morph lock patch
-More layout tweaks
-Fixed issues with prevent IBJ code
-Homing Zoomers are now just regular Zoomers
-Minor fixes in general

-Temporary: Changed liquid bit to 18 from 0A (As much as I don't want to do this...'less someone knows how to have liquids drawn behind layer 1 only. RIP liquids behind layer 1 :c )
[/spoiler]

[UPDATE 06/02/2016]
Hotfix: fixed a small error with morph lock bts placement.

begrimed

Pretty fun little play-through. I love the outside desert area especially. There were a few things I ran into as I played:

[spoiler]

I was dangerously close to being permastuck here. I know you start with morph, but because of the way the this nook is sloped, being wedged in it had Samus rapidly cycling between the landing/falling animations.

This red geemer just ends up staying in this spot and 'flickering' its animations because it's aligning with Samus' X position, and can't pass over the wall until Samus does. These enemies are fundamentally kinda not usable because of this. :( Hyper's red geemers have this problem too; anywhere you use them, they will eventually do this if you're not always moving.

This can happen in pretty much any sloped morph tunnel, which has a permastuck risk. Scyzer's morphlock is the cure.

Because of the slopes in the ceiling I think, bombing over this little bump wasn't working right away by just holding right after using a bomb.

The tiling here makes Samus look like she's hovering, also it has a noticeably cut-offy seam against the other tiles below them.

This has always bothered me about these, lol.

Door below this needs its Distance To Spawn value changed from 8800 to 01C0.

This respawning geemer can be seen blinking into existence when it respawns instead of emerging from the hole.

This jump to/from Spazer could probably do with a couple tiles of extra leeway, the jump back especially.

For rooms with liquids, using 18 as the transparency bit in the FX will make all of the enemies draw underneath them (room in this pic is using 0A)

Pink pirate's feet are a bit buried into the floor.
[/spoiler]

TheAnonymousUser

[spoiler=Careful. Wall of stuff inbound]
Quote from: Grime on December 10, 2015, 05:40:57 PM

I was dangerously close to being permastuck here. I know you start with morph, but because of the way the this nook is sloped, being wedged in it had Samus rapidly cycling between the landing/falling animations.

This can happen in pretty much any sloped morph tunnel, which has a permastuck risk. Scyzer's morphlock is the cure.
Fixed. I obviously didn't look hard enough for the morph lock patch (only found squishy's and card's) and i knew there was a variant that used air fool x-ray somewhere

This red geemer just ends up staying in this spot and 'flickering' its animations because it's aligning with Samus' X position, and can't pass over the wall until Samus does. These enemies are fundamentally kinda not usable because of this. :( Hyper's red geemers have this problem too; anywhere you use them, they will eventually do this if you're not always moving.
The problem I get then, is that I have zoomers crawling across the sky. Beats acid tripping zoomers, I guess.

Because of the slopes in the ceiling I think, bombing over this little bump wasn't working right away by just holding right after using a bomb.
Seems that's partially my fault. I was trying to fix person's prevent ibj code (long story short, I thought that code was causing some other strange bugs in 0.4, but it wasn't), and some of it I overwrote with the vanilla counter-part.

This respawning geemer can be seen blinking into existence when it respawns instead of emerging from the hole.
He's been moved now. That zoomer was originally under some slope bts to push him up...albeit too quickly.

This jump to/from Spazer could probably do with a couple tiles of extra leeway, the jump back especially.

The tiling here makes Samus look like she's hovering, also it has a noticeably cut-offy seam against the other tiles below them.

Door below this needs its Distance To Spawn value changed from 8800 to 01C0.

Pink pirate's feet are a bit buried into the floor.
All fixed.

For rooms with liquids, using 18 as the transparency bit in the FX will make all of the enemies draw underneath them (room in this pic is using 0A)
The problem here, is I wanted liquids to be drawn behind layer 1 but above everything else (iirc, transparency bit 18 draws over everything)
[/spoiler]

Dynastyx

Completed both versions, good work overall!

Only thing that got to me a bit is drops. If it wasn't for that ammo station, I wouldn't know how to get more supers!

TheAnonymousUser

(0.5.1 Changelog is also in the OP, along with an updated zip)
[spoiler=Version 0.5.1]-Added Scyzer's morph lock patch
-More layout tweaks
-Homing Zoomers are now just regular Zoomers
-Minor fixes in general

-Temporary: Changed liquid bit to 18 from 0A (As much as I don't want to do this...'less someone knows how to have liquids drawn behind layer 1 only.)[/spoiler]

Question about the beta site: How long can it take for a hack to get approved?

personitis

Quote from: TheAnonymousUser on December 14, 2015, 09:41:46 AM
Just to be clear because your "I thought that code was causing some other strange bugs in 0.4, but it wasn't" message has me confused, were there actually any issues in the original code/patch you used or were they created on your end?

TheAnonymousUser

Quote from: personitis on December 14, 2015, 02:40:05 PM
Just to be clear because your "I thought that code was causing some other strange bugs in 0.4, but it wasn't" message has me confused, were there actually any issues in the original code/patch you used or were they created on your end?

My only guess was when I looked at where some of the code gets written and where 0.4 was crashing were right next to each other.

This was what crashed 0.3/0.4:
Quote from: Black Falcon91EE0F (08EE0F) D0 to EA

It's part of a routine cut short that originally checks for button input, and instead zeros Samus's momentum and some other address. No idea for what it is used, but it's that leftover byte that caused a wrong branch, ending up in messed up code and crashing the game.

And some of the prevent ibj code starts on the very next byte (8EE10). That was my only assumption at the time. Either way, there haven't been reports of crashes in 0.5...yet.

herald83

Not sure if this is a bug or a feature but...
[spoiler]Looks like there's an errant set of morph lock/unlock BTS in mid air in room 7990D, as you come out of Door 01 and go through the tunnel. You can roll under it but it's annoying. I'm playing version 0.51.[/spoiler]

Otherwise, great mini-hack! 22:38 and 82% loot. I really liked the red/orange palette on the Maridia rocks.

TheAnonymousUser

Quote from: herald83 on February 05, 2016, 08:30:42 PM
Not sure if this is a bug or a feature but...
[spoiler]Looks like there's an errant set of morph lock/unlock BTS in mid air in room 7990D, as you come out of Door 01 and go through the tunnel. You can roll under it but it's annoying. I'm playing version 0.51.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Not sure if spoiler or not]So there is...that might have been while I was assigning morph bts in the room (because clicking the bts drop-down and assigning blocks manually all the time is /effort) and I forgot to remove them. Fix'd with hotfix in the OP[/spoiler]