News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid Other ZM - A Metroid Zero Mission Hack

Started by Luce Seyfarth, September 28, 2015, 10:33:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luce Seyfarth

Well... First off, hello to everyone!

As the title says, I would like to introduce you all to a new hack of Metroid Zero Mission – made by me. After months of on-and-off-work on this project I can finally release the (present) final version of it. The name given is "Metroid Other ZM" – and no, it isn't as linear and plot-driven as a particular other game...

EDIT: As some of you may have experienced, there is some difficulty in finding the correct way in the beginning. I've decided to add a few warnings and hints, because most of the time I am fully aware of the things some might find annoying:

- This is NOT intended for the easily frustrated, or to be easily accessible. You are required to know the original game very well to sometimes make suggestions for finding the correct path. If sometimes searching for more then 5 minutes isn't your thing, then this will likely not be your type of game... unless you look at the solutions first
- This is NOT a hack filled with super difficult bomb jump/ Speed Booster related puzzles at every corner. I've created two or three really hard ones for fans of those, but neither of them are required to finish the game
- Some might call increasing/ decreasing enemy HP/ drop rates "fake difficulty", but I beg to differ. I intended to make enemy encounters more meaningful than they were in ZM, especially because their AI patterns aren't very difficult at all to learn. To deal with them and recover Health/ Missiles, consider the following hints:
[spoiler]
1. Bombs are your friends, as they were in the original Metroid. The best example is if you go to Kraid first and encounter an enemy which you might think takes just too long to defeat.
2. Missiles are your friend, too. Just use these sparingly
3. In each of the areas, there are these endlessly spawning, flying enemies. Those don't have lowered drop rates, so you may use them to refill if needed.
4. Not every Enemy is meant to be defeated in order to proceed
[/spoiler]
- I've gone out of my way to hide some secrets really well. Aside from the early paths in Crateria and Brinstar they are mostly optional. Still, you can find most of them by applying these:
[spoiler]
1. Try not only bombing walls, but pressing against suspicious spots as well
2. Some hidden ledges can't be power grabbed(!)
3. some destroyable blocks don't show their weakness by bombing, because the foreground obstructs them. These are mostly missile- or bomb-blocks and the only ones required for beating the game can be found pretty widely spread in Ridley
4. Sometimes I've added a tile which allows your shots to pass through, yet can't be traversed even in Morpg Ball form. These are mostly in obvious spots, however
5. There may be blocks which don't show a weakness by bombing them, even if there is no foreground in the way. Try coming back with some Unknown Items/ the Wave Beam
[/spoiler]
And of course, once you have Power Bombs, you can just use these to find most secrets you missed.
- While there is a lack of familiar powerups early on, that just means to access familiar situations with other tactics most of the time. No Long Beam? You didn't need it in the 15% challenge anyway. No Varia Suit to pass heated rooms? All necessary ones are possible to be traversed with only the starting cap of 99 energy.
The powerups are spread wider apart and some are hidden more well. For example, Long Beam is still found pretty early and can be gotten right after the bombs. Varia Suit can be collected after either visiting Kraid or Ridley and getting an upgrade there. The Screw Attack and therefore all Unknown Items are meant to be collected pretty late, as they are the last items you will probably find.
- There exist fake missile containers etc.. Still, each real powerup is marked correctly on the map, so you shouldn't fall to this too often
- Energy Tanks are not easy to come by. In fact, part of the difficulty lies in visiting either Kraid or Ridley before finding many of them. If you absolutely need them, some can be gotten:
EDIT: I rearranged Energy Tanks so some may be gotten earlier.
[spoiler]
1. Brinstar: Near the fake Energy Tank on the route to Norfair. Try shooting the wall above near the ground above it
2. Norfair: Near the Kraid <-> Norfair shortcut
3. Ridley: In the room with the Inknown Item
[/spoiler]
- Stock up on Ammo before the main boss battles by searching for hidden powerups

The goal of the hack was not to completely redesign every room and map of the game, but rather to make a different, more difficult, yet somewhat similar experience to the original.
To create this I have used all of the following, which I would like to give credit and my honest thanks for:
- The original Metroid Zero Mission(U) ROM by Nintendo
- Double Helix, the Metroid Zero Mission/ Fusion editor written by Interdpth
- A patch which enables the Item Toggle feature, made by Trunaur68
- The (sadly incomplete) RAM and ROM maps of this game posted on Datacrystal, as well as several ARM Opcode sheets used for manual hex editing
- The debug-version of VBA, as well as its normal incarnation

Notable changes that I implemented in the hack:
- Kraid and Ridleys hideouts in particular follow very different paths, requiring to look very carefully at the layout to find the correct ways. Brinstar and Norfair also have a fair share of redesigned pathways and rooms, of course...
- Some Item locations were swapped or otherwise moved. Chozo hint statues no longer exist. Item requirements for beating (certain parts of) the game have also changed. Unknown Items no longer are required (in fact, simply collecting them can take a while... as the Screw Attack, which is now located in Chozodia, is required to get them)
- try looking for some new sequence breaks... like skipping the dreaded Power Grip. Skipping that thing may be very rewarding for the patient...
- of course many minor Items were hidden elsewhere as well
- all enemies have raised attack and hp, while also dropping less stuff. This also accounts for bosses, some of which also have other nasty surprises
- Like the original Metroid, only one of the Ice and Wave (and later Plasma) Beams can be equipped at once. Collecting a certain other powerup may allow for equipping them all at once, though

I may be forgetting something, will add such things later if I remember. There are still more features, but... well, I won't spoil them here.

A video showing some parts of it exists, but... well, for most of the content you'll have to try it yourself. The video can be found here:
EDIT: Changed link to the new video I made.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyMCFfLntdg&feature=iv&src_vid=ds_Y1xN6gl0&annotation_id=annotation_2972562055

Because I momentarily suck at editing graphics data such as the title screen (extracting etc. hasn't been a problem, though) and lack of free time a.t.m. a proper title screen (labeled "Metroid Other ZM") will have to wait for now. Likewise, Chozodia has been edited the less out of all the areas (if you don't count Tourian - but that doesn't have much rooms anyway...), maybe someday I will come around to add more changes there as well.

I have thoroughly testet the hack, but there may be bugs I didn't find, so I am thankful for anyone who finds and tells me of them. I welcome constructive critizism as well – so hopefully many of you are interested in trying this out :)

For anyone interested in trying the hack, it can now be found at romhacking.net: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2565/

If you find any bugs/ strange things/ ideas to make this better you can just respond to this post or email me here: lsey@web.de

Thanks for trying ;)

FPzero

I just played up to Morph Ball to make sure that I'd patched everything right. What I'm seeing so far looks pretty good, though I did get stuck for a minute or two before I found some of the walk through walls in upper crateria. If I could make some suggestions, even if the people you intend to play the game are advanced players, you should probably make the path at the beginning nice and clear because it's not very fun to search for a path when you have no upgrades whatsoever, especially when you don't have the primary exploration ones like morph ball, bombs and Long Beam. My recommendation would be to just put more floating platforms up to the door in the landing site and make the walk through wall path in the big room in upper crateria just be an open path. The game has barely started, don't make the player frustrated by having them search for hidden paths that fast. That or make the hidden path a little more obvious. I don't know how easy that is with Zero Mission because I've never touched its editors, but I'm sure it's possible.

I'm going to play more later with some friends in tow because I feel like it has potential. Hopefully I'll have some expanded feedback later on.

PKstarship

I'll try this hack out, I'm very experienced at Zero Mission. It's nice to see a new hack for it :^_^:

Mayo-chan

It's a nice surprise to see a ZM hack done as in-depth as this!

Hawntah

I think I might be stuck (that didn't take long :neutral:).

[spoiler]
I'm in Brinstar with nothing but Morph Ball. I can't go back to Crateria because of crumble blocks, I need bombs to go down to Kraid, I need missiles to open Long Beam's room, I need Long Beam to advance further into Brinstar (or bombs to get through the 1x1 room with 2 rippers), I can't do anything in the statue room. I found this, but it doesn't lead anywhere:

The map says there's an item where Morph Ball was in the original but I've tried shooting all the walls and haven't found anything. Halp?[/spoiler]

FPzero

Yeah I'm stuck where hawntah is.

You really shouldn't make it this hard to find the most basic items and path progression this early on. It doesn't give me much hope that things will get better later on.

Unless I'm totally missing something, you should probably take the hack, rework at least the opening to be less confusing and reliant on shooting every block to find a path and then post it again. I don't really want to play another Milon's Secret Castle here.

Hawntah

Well, I figured out what to do.

[spoiler]It seems the thing I found earlier has a purpose after all.[/spoiler]

FPzero

Hi.

Your hack is not hard, it's annoying. That's a bad thing.  I just got Bombs a while ago and I'm not sure I'll continue playing. There are too many red flags popping up this early on and I'm not sure I want to subject myself to whatever annoyances you have in store down the road.

• The correct path in the first Brinstar shaft is too hidden. Couple that with the number of other rooms and paths you can access only to find dead ends and you get me and my friends stuck in there for a good 40 minutes until finally another friend opens the editor to try and locate where to go and STILL couldn't figure it out.
  • You've created artificial difficulty by increasing enemy damage and decreasing item drop rates. Doing one or the other would be okay but doing both makes every encounter with an enemy a stressful situation because you suddenly have to weigh the risk of fighting and losing more health than you might gain back way more than in a main series game. I'm playing on Easy and things are still annoying due to low drop rates. Ironically enough, the Charge Beam worm was the best place to get item drops since I guess the drop rates on his spikes aren't modifiable.
  • Speaking of the worm, thanks for removing the Charge Beam, I didn't want a powerup from him anyways, especially not when I'm critically under-equipped for a hack that is throwing all these annoyances at me.
  • Making the player fight the bug spawners in central Brinstar without Long Beam was incredibly frustrating. The normal Power Beam is not long enough to appropriately fight those things. You must enter the range for the bugs to chase you in order to hit the spawner, not to mention you have to stand halfway off the ledges to hit it because your beam length is so short. I think the bugs do more damage too and they never drop health, even in the original game, so you'd better be at full health (which is hard because of the low drop rates) or you won't survive the room. I had to use savestates and emulator autofires to fire the beam fast enough to kill the bugs as they spawned and land an occasional shot on the spawner itself. This is not okay.
  • Why is Long Beam not given to the player immediately? Even in Zero Mission, it's the first item you find after Morph Ball. It's obviously meant to be an homage to the original game as a "Oh remember how the original had this" but nothing more because it's terrible when you don't have this item. It makes fighting enemies way harder than it should be.
  • Thanks for the fake items by the way, they are totally not frustrating to find, get your hopes up and them discover that they were fake all along. I just wanted an energy tank.

It just really feels like you don't want the player to succeed. Everything it stacked against them. Maybe it gets better as it goes but you've created one hell of an unwelcome introduction. That or a warning to players that this is what to expect from every moment of the hack, in which case, that's a fair warning and smart players will know the hack isn't for them.

The hack is not beyond salvaging though. Modify the drop rates or the enemy damage, not both, back to their original settings. Remove the fake items. Remove the bug spawners if possible or give the player Long Beam earlier so you have deal with them in a sane fashion. Make paths at the beginning more noticeable or call them out better. You should not be relying on pixel hunts from the start. Get a beta tester willing to go through the whole hack and point out the annoyances and bad things like I've done. You are your own worst judge of difficulty and fairness because you made the hack. You know every secret and advantage, the player doesn't.

Until these things are addressed, this hack is sadly not worth my time and frustration to continue with. Sorry.

biospark

Quote from: FPzero on September 29, 2015, 11:39:18 AM
Ironically enough, the Charge Beam worm was the best place to get item drops since I guess the drop rates on his spikes aren't modifiable.

They actually are, though I don't think double helix can edit them.

interdpth

Luce Seyfarth

Well, I didn't think to get that many responses that soon... :)

First off, fixed the spelling of Interdpth's name. Oops...

I noticed today that I accidentally uploaded a recent version before the final patch, which has the path to the Long Beam sealed until either obtaining Speed Booster or Super Missiles... An early idea that I forgot to edit out until the final version. After reading all the complains about missing the Long Beam I am glad to have noticed this... I reuploaded the right version this time and will modify the link after the new one becomes available.

Keep in mind that I sadly don't know many people (actually, none) who play Zero Mission anymore, let alone are interested in trying hacks for it.
That said, the hidden paths are a little more obvious later on (or easier to find by just bombing and pressing against walls), with some nasty exeptions in Ridley and then kind of a puzzle to escape Kraid after getting the Speed Booster. I know this full well and since this is directed at the more experienced players of Zero Mission who know the layout of and connections between rooms, they should be able to find suspicious spots/ rooms, like seemingly useless dead-ends or rooms that were definitely bigger in Zero Mission.
Still I get what you mean by that one wall in upper Crateria as well as the path to Brinstar, that should probably be reworked.

I should've probably given a warning about this intention, sorry :/

Now in direct reply to FPzero:

- I get where you come from with that path in Brinstar. Still, the path you need to go existed in the original game as well. I can understand that searching isn't very fun without bombs in possession, though... Maybe I'll just make access to that passage easier
- What you call "artificial difficulty" is actually intended to make you think twice about enemy encounters. The hack has no intention of being like a main series game in that regard... If you don't like this, that's perfectly fine. You can get health and missiles back easier by fighting the endlessly spawning flying enemies in the various areas, preferrably with bombs. I could modify the drop rates of Brinstar Worm's spikes, but that thing is just hopelessly easy anyway...
- Charge Beam is located elsewhere, not removed. You are still in Brinstar, where even in the original game the only thing you really had more of were missiles and maybe Long Beam
- Fighting the bug spawners without Long Beam is regularly done by most people trying the 15% challange in the original game. I did not increase the damage the bugs do by the way.
- Where did I say that I wantd to create an experience similiar to the first Metroid? Long Beam ist located in Norfair where the Ice Beam was before and can be gotten immediately after the bombs.
- If you complain about the fake items... then yeah, this hack isn't for you. I really don't get whats so bad about them, especially because the map still shows which rooms have non-fake items.
- I want the player to feel satisfaction for finding the correct way, hidden items and other secrets not hidden obviously by blocks which just have to be bombed in order to find out how to destroy them. Some people, like you, may find this frustrating, but I know there are some players out there who enjoy this kind of thing. As I've said, I understand the issue of the hidden paths in Crateria/ the first one in Brinstar, because I know that they're some of the most difficult to find and will take that hint seriously.

For anyone else interested I've decided to edit the first post to include some warnings about things you may find, because this definitely wasn't made for people who expect to find the correct way every time within 10 minutes of searching around.

EDIT: Zero Fission could modify drop rates of boss spawns? If only I had known... Still, I won't lower them because in these situations there is literally no way of going back and refilling.

Hawntah

I mostly agree with FPZero. I have no issues with needing to find hidden paths to progress or increased enemy damage, but I very much dislike the changes to enemy drops and HP. Having to spend twice as long farming enemies to replenish health is not hard, it's tedious and unfun. Standing in one spot and shooting an enemy for 10 seconds before it dies is not hard either, just annoying. Seriously, my finger hurts from all the B button mashing.

You say the hack's not as linear as Other M, but so far it seems like every possible non-linear path has been blocked off by random Super Missile, Power Bomb, Screw Attack and one-way Missile blocks.

But it looks like you're intent on keeping everything the way it is, so I'll stop complaining and just post the bugs/oddities I've found:
[spoiler]
Why do the Geemers in Crateria do more damage than the Zoomers you encounter later in Brinstar?

This slope is messed up:

[/spoiler]

FPzero

Glad to see that you take criticism well, that means I can respond well too.

This site loves all things Metroid, and Zero Mission hacking is pretty much non-existent currently. I'm not surprised you don't personally know anyone that would be interested in a ZM hack but here's the thing: We are. When you posted this hack I was pretty damned excited because I really didn't know of any ZM hacks that were relatively modified and released any time recently. I'm sure others feel the same way.  Anyone can come to our site and say "Hey I have a hack I've been working on and is close to completion, would anyone want to help me beta test it?" and I'm sure they'll get a few takers. You could probably get some of us to beta test the hack even though you don't know us very well.

To address your responses to me specifically,
First off, I'll mention that I have no familiarity with Double Helix, Zero Fission or any other GBA Metroid editor. All my knowledge comes from SMILE and Super Metroid. Therefore, I don't know the intricacies of the game so some of my complaints would be invalidated if I did. However, I'm willing to bet a lot of others here are the same way in regards to knowledge of ZM's inner workings. When we play SM hacks, most of us know how the game works and all the tricks you can do to hide items, paths, and other things.

I also want to mention that my last post was made after I'd just finished playing and getting frustrated. I tried to be fair in it but I may have come off a little heated.

Now, going down your hyphenated list:

-It's been a little while since I played ZM but I did recall that there was an exit path in that top area of the vertical shaft in the original game. I had a feeling that it was the path you intended the player to go on but I could not remember where the path was at all. It is meant to be an exit after all, so I didn't remember the exact tile it was hidden behind. I definitely understand making familiarity with the original game's hidden paths a prerequisite for a half hack but when I spent as long as I did trying to find it with no success, you can understand where my initial frustration came from. The other part was that this was really the only confusing hidden path I encountered on my way to Missiles and then Bombs. After finding this path, the route forward was very clear. It feels like a roadblock meant to challenge the player and test if the hack is really for them or not. I feel like the same thing could be achieved by just keeping the original long beam skip intact and then slowly making more complicated hidden paths once the player had more tools in their arsenal, Bombs especially.
-We're probably just not going to agree on the drop rates but I think a lot of potential frustration could be alleviated even if you kept the drop rates for the small (5) energy the same. Make 20s rare but let the player at least slowly rebuild health from 5s if they want to spend that time. That, or scale the enemy damage a bit better. When you only have 99 health to start, 20 damage from Zoomers and Rippers and 40 from Geemers feels like a lot. (Note: I don't remember exactly how much damage those enemies regularly do). I'd be curious to know how you scaled enemy health and damage. Did you apply a straight x2 to each of those stats or was it something else?
-I assumed Charge Beam was moved elsewhere but I was really hoping it would drop from the Worm to give me another offensive advantage. I'd chalk that complaint up to just another thing that struck me the wrong way due to the negative state of mind I was already in at the time.
-I've done 15% challenges on both Normal and Hard mode years ago and I remember having to fight the bug spawners without Long Beam and the tricks to doing so. There's one big difference between the 15% challenges and your hack though: By the point you found the spawners, you had a missile tank. That meant that if you timed your shots right you could get rid of at least one spawner and partially damage another with the missiles, cutting the amount of spawners you had to fight with Power Beam down to just 2. As for the bug damage, I assumed that they had their damage increased since everything else had and again, I didn't remember the original damage values. Not sure exactly how you could fix this aside from removing them or giving missiles earlier but your progressions seems to rely on getting missiles from an area past them. Is it possible to move them a couple pixels left so that you don't have to position yourself halfway off the ledge to hit the spawner?
-I'm not expecting you to create a Metroid 1 experience but the only thing Long Beam gives the player is the ability to shoot things from far away (and I guess a small damage increase). It's more utility than anything else. Not being able to have it for the whole of 15% is really annoying, but in 15% you know you're subjecting yourself to those conditions on purpose. It's just, when hacking the game you have the ability to put items anywhere. Unless you have a really good reason to hide a fundamental ability like that away from the player for a time, it doesn't seem like a good idea to do it. It's like when a Super Metroid hack restricts even the basic Morph Ball until partway through the game. It feels haphazard to not have the ability and I've only seen one hack achieve a delayed Morph Ball and Bombs well (Phazon). I guess it also feels like you're stacking the odds against the player when you take it away when at the same time you've increased the danger that enemies present.
-Fake items just feel wrong. It's probably more of a personal thing than an objective thing. As for being able to tell by looking at the map, I have to ask you a question about ZM's abilities. In Super Metroid, the dot showing that an item is hidden in a room is something that is controlled by the map screen. As an SM hacker, you have complete control over whether or not you tell your players if there is an item in that room because you specifically take the time to draw them to the map. In ZM, what I don't know is if this is the same or not. When you place items in ZM, does the dot that indicates an item on that square automatically appear on the map or do you actually have to go and modify the map to add the dot to those rooms? Basically, because I don't know how the game handles the item hints, I don't know how truthful the dots on the map actually are. I hope this explanation makes sense because I'm not really sure how to word it.
-I totally understand the joy of finding the correct path. I think that's one of the things that I enjoy most about Metroid. It's just, pathfinding is made much easier once you have bombs because they tell you so much information about the paths that are available or blocked off. Pathfinding before getting Bombs, especially difficult pathfinding, if very hard to do well because there's so few options available other than "shoot blocks with beam" and "rub face against wall looking for invisible walls". All I'm suggesting is that if you're going to have difficult pathfinding, wait until the player has some tools in their possession to help them better achieve that difficult pathfinding. I'm glad to have found bombs because now I can figure out the secrets you have in store but up until that point it was a lesson in frustration and guessing.

I think I'll take the time to download your new patch with the Long Beam fix and try once more. Now that I know where to go in the first shaft, at least I won't be frustrated and stuck for a long time in that one place. I really do want to see what a ZM hack can have in store for me.

biospark

Quote from: FPzero on September 29, 2015, 08:00:15 PM
-Fake items just feel wrong. It's probably more of a personal thing than an objective thing. As for being able to tell by looking at the map, I have to ask you a question about ZM's abilities. In Super Metroid, the dot showing that an item is hidden in a room is something that is controlled by the map screen. As an SM hacker, you have complete control over whether or not you tell your players if there is an item in that room because you specifically take the time to draw them to the map. In ZM, what I don't know is if this is the same or not. When you place items in ZM, does the dot that indicates an item on that square automatically appear on the map or do you actually have to go and modify the map to add the dot to those rooms? Basically, because I don't know how the game handles the item hints, I don't know how truthful the dots on the map actually are. I hope this explanation makes sense because I'm not really sure how to word it.

The map must be manually edited to show that an item is there.

I agree with FPzero about the fake items. If you're going to included them, you should only have one, or two at the most. Anymore after that and it just feels lame. It's not good hack design. If you're looking to trick players, there are better ways to do that.

Xenesis

Does this work on hardware? I'd be willing to give it a shot on my actual GBA when I can.

Hawntah

Ok, I might be stuck for real this time. :colonrightv:

[spoiler]I went to Kraid after getting bombs. I got here:

I can't go any further, but I'm not sure I need to because I can get there from the other side as well. The thing is, I can't go back either, because of this:

and this:

Should I reload my save and try to find another route?
[/spoiler]

FPzero

Also let us know when you update the RHDN link with the Long Beam progression fix, because I checked last night and apparently it was the same patch in the archive even after you mentioned the fix. That's what I'm waiting for before starting again.

FPzero

I saw you updated your RHDN page with a new patch and while I'm liking the changes so far, I made my way to Long Beam after Bombs and well...

Are you sure you fixed this? I checked every block in the room and can't find a way out.  I appear to be completely trapped in here now.

Eagle

^ Yeah I had the same issue with the long beam room. As far as I can tell there's no way out.

Also I'm stuck in a loop in Kraid... I have morph ball, missiles, power grip and bombs, but as far as I can tell I can't exit the loop in bottom Kraid unless I either find super missiles, speed booster, screw attack or unknown item. Maybe I'm missing an exit somewhere? If so, it's like near impossible to find.

Also this needs to be fixed because it's really dumb:

There's no way to get out of that tunnel, you're just stuck.

And I'll just agree with everything that has been said about enemies having too much health and drops being scarce. It makes it pretty tedious overall, especially when it seems like there's no energy tanks available for a long time.

I love the idea of having a ZM hack that mixes things up, but the enemies make it a little tedious and I don't want to have to worry about being stuck constantly.

Luce Seyfarth

It seems that romhacking.net takes its time to approve of changes :/
I submitted a fix for the green door in the Long Beam room a day ago...

You can find the most recent Version here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vc8n3fh7iniz9ei/Metroid%20Other%20ZM.zip?dl=0
I've added that Link in the beginning post as well.

As for your questions:

- I've marked each room on the mini map that has a real item. Fake Items exist in times to distract from the placement of the real powerups or to show that something else is there.
- Because you keep mentioning the issue with enemies I will go and increase drop rates, then.
- yeah, that area in Kraid you posted the screenshot of is part of the riddle to get out after finding Speed Booster. Yes, you have to reload from a previous save for that. I've made sure you can't save at that point to screw you over. If you want to hear the solution:
[spoiler]
Before you descent to Kraids room, you have to visit that room on the screenshot from the left, then from the right and destroy those missile blocks. That will allow you to take a route back to the room before the Unknown Item, then back up where you came from.
[/spoiler]
I will remove that trap in the screenshot, shouldn't take long...

Also if you want more Energy, you can go to Ridleys area first, though that is also more difficult obviously.

Lastly, yes, this works on real hardware, too. I've successfully loaded the ROM to my flash card to test normal gameplay, because I don't like emulator controlls.

Eagle

Well, I never got to Kraid (as in the boss, not the area) in the first place. I'm not sure how you're supposed to get there at all. As far as I can tell you either need supers or the unknown item to get to Kraid in the first place and I'm not sure either are available in Kraid area?

Luce Seyfarth

I've replaced that trap mentioned above, that same dropbox link as before should have the file, though I better repost it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vc8n3fh7iniz9ei/Metroid%20Other%20ZM.zip?dl=0

Neither Supers nor the Space Junp can be found in Kraids area, yeah, but if you've found those Super Missile blocks, then you've also found the lower passage to his room, where you probably just missed the secred passage to get further. I've made that a little more obvious, too, so you can find it just by shooting around. If you'd like to find the passage as it was before, I would be glad to hear if you find that too well hidden as well.

FPzero

I've found myself in Ridley and I seem to be stuck.

[spoiler]

There's another one of these face blocks I have to shoot a missile through below me and I don't know where I have to go to get around to a position where I can shoot a missile. The only possible path I found is blocked by Screw Attack (along with so many powerups...)

Here's my map and Status screen showing you where I've been and what I have. I haven't done a hard save in a long time (since I was in Norfair) in case I'm trapped somehow so I've been relying on savestates.[/spoiler]