News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

SMILE RF

Started by Scyzer, July 11, 2015, 12:00:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quietus

If you tell us what problem you're having, we can try to help you resolve it. :^_^:

tbolt76

its awesome to use but it didnt change anything in the rom at all it didnt save nothing and the ips creator didnt work either

Musaran

Bugs :

• Does not visually tell apart Beam/Bomb/Step-Crumble blocks, and many others.
    In fact, only BTS number variations have visuals ? Am I missing something obvious ?
  • Show Layer Priority shows fully-transparent 8×8 tiles as foreground if part of the 16×16 tile is foreground.
    Only background 8×8 tiles in a 16×16 tile with foreground seem correct.
    This is visible right in vanilla landing room.
  • Hiding layer 1 hides BTS & Layer Priority, but in the interface these are separate layers/settings and still active.

Minor feature wishes :

• Some visual for V-copy & H-copy BTS.
  • Show shortcuts in the menus.
  • A better picker for the tile kind.
  • Allow hiding both layers 1 & 2, as said.
    Sometimes one just needs the overlays, or the other layers.

Major feature wishes :

• Unlock view tiles sizes.
    Allow smaller than 16×16 in editor, allow any size in save screen shot.
  • Merge slopes & highlight solid block in a separate "Terrain" layer.
  • Edit in image processor.
    The basic idea is 1 tile = 1 pixel, 1 kind or gfx = 1 unique color.
    Because image processors have far more powerful tools then you will ever build.

PHOSPHOTiDYL

Good work with the new features on v0.88.

Scyzer

So I put out a new update today (0.89). This one lets RF open and edit PAL Super Metroid ROMs.
I felt I should make a post about this in particular. Just because you can use a PAL ROM, it doesn't mean you should.

There's a few things different about the PAL ROM which RF doesn't make immediately obvious, and you would probably get rather confused when the data between your hack and the information on Metconst doesn't match up. Hex tweaks in particular could break your ROM if you didn't pay attention, as a lot of those locations will be slightly different.

As always, if anyone has any ideas or feedback, send it through the Help (?) menu in RF, or send me a message here on the forums. Happy hacking everyone!

DeadSkullzJr

I downloaded the executable and of course got the invalid file error, when I went to get the file, it took me to the Microsoft website. The issue is that specific file doesn't seem to exist now. Any way to fix this?

Jordan5

Quote from: DeadSkullzJr on December 28, 2016, 02:10:57 PM
I downloaded the executable and of course got the invalid file error, when I went to get the file, it took me to the Microsoft website. The issue is that specific file doesn't seem to exist now. Any way to fix this?

Quote from: snarfblam on July 11, 2015, 09:41:29 AM
Quote from: Mettyk25jigsaw on July 11, 2015, 03:37:34 AM
Scyzer, I get a runtime error 339 window pop up, saying a file is missing or invalid, it says a component 'MSINET.OCX' or one of it's dependencies is not correctly registered...
Try downloading said dependency and manually registering it using regsvr32 from the command-line. Newer versions of Windows do not come with VB6 runtimes installed.

Is this your issue?

DeadSkullzJr

Quote from: Jordan5 on December 28, 2016, 02:26:07 PM

Quote from: snarfblam on July 11, 2015, 09:41:29 AM
Quote from: Mettyk25jigsaw on July 11, 2015, 03:37:34 AM
Scyzer, I get a runtime error 339 window pop up, saying a file is missing or invalid, it says a component 'MSINET.OCX' or one of it's dependencies is not correctly registered...
Try downloading said dependency and manually registering it using regsvr32 from the command-line. Newer versions of Windows do not come with VB6 runtimes installed.

Is this your issue?
yes

Scyzer

The required file is included in the download of SMILE RF. You just have to register it using the instructions in the first post.

PHOSPHOTiDYL

Quickmet only stores to samus's energy, & not samus's max energy.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Nvm I figured it out.

Prime Hunter

So I'm pretty new to SMILE RF and I'm not sure if this is implemented or not. I've been trying to find the equivalent of the "Game Behavior" tab where you can edit things like the beam mechanics, weapon damage, etc. I haven't seen anything mention it and I've looked everywhere within the program and guide.

personitis

RF does not have those features as of current. You can always complain here or use the program's feedback feature though. :nod:

NathanTech

Trend Micro doesn't like it - It deleted it 3 times

Vecna

Hi to all! I'm Vecna and I would like to thank Scyzer for his great work on SMILE RF.
I'm an Italian translator and I'm trying to translate SM in Italian but I found a problem.
Is there a way to translate the options screens?
I noticed that the Portuguese made a good work and they found a way to do that.
Please will you implement this feature in the next realease of your tool?
Thanks in advance!

Mettyk25jigsaw

Yeah, I figured out the system several months ago, I have forgotten how I did it though, but remember that it,s complicated because it does not stick to a consistant pattern. I remember banging my head trying to do it via trial and error via hex editor but might just give it a rereview it to see how I did it, might be able to give you an update soon.

Vecna

Thank you for the reply, Mettyk25jigsaw. (Y)

PHOSPHOTiDYL

Finally got around to testing the new tileset "expansion" feature.

LoROM

ORG $808F72
LDA.l MusicPointer,x
STA $00
LDA.l MusicPointer+1,x
STA $01

org $82DEF2
PEA $8F00
PLB : PLB
LDX $07BB
LDA $0003,x
AND #$00FF
ASL A
TAY
LDX.w TilesetPointer,y

ORG $8FE6A2 ;//[tiletable/gfx/palette]
Tileset00:
dl $C1B6F6,$BAC629,$C2AD7C ;//tileset $00

TilesetPointer: ;//[$E7A7]
dw Tileset00

MusicPointer: ;//[$E7E1]
dl $CF8000 ;//ADSR settings
dl $D0E20D ;//"title sequence" sample table
dl $D1B62A ;//"empty crateria" sample table
dl $D288CA ;//"space pirate" sample table
dl $D2D9B6 ;//"samus theme" sample table
dl $D3933C ;//"green brinstar" sample table
dl $D3E812 ;//"red brinstar" sample table
dl $D4B86C ;//"upper norfair" sample table
dl $D4F420 ;//"lower norfair" sample table
dl $D5C844 ;//"maridia" sample table
dl $D698B7 ;//"tourian" sample table
dl $D6EF9D ;//"mother brain" sample table
dl $D7BF73 ;//"boss fight 1" sample table
dl $D899B2 ;//"boss fight 2" sample table
dl $D8EA8B ;//"miniboss fight" sample table
dl $D9B67B ;//"ceres" sample table
dl $D9F5DD ;//"wrecked ship" sample table
dl $DAB650 ;//"zebes boom" sample table
dl $DAD63B ;//"intro" sample table
dl $DBA40F ;//"death" sample table
dl $DBDF4F ;//"credits" sample table
dl $DCAF6C ;//"the last metroid" sample table
dl $DCFAC7 ;//"the galaxy" sample table
dl $DDB104 ;//"super metroid" sample table
dl $DE81C1 ;//"samus theme" sample table

padbyte $FF : pad $8FE82C

Only tileset $00 shows up on the list.
Doesn't show up until reopening the rom after applying the patch.

Thank you!!!!!!

Scyzer

Tilesets are loaded only when opening a ROM, so if anything changes the number of tilesets available, those changes won't show in RF until the ROM is reloaded.
I did it this way because having RF check for tileset changes each time a room is opened is just a waste of time and resources. Only a small number of hacks will ever change the number of tilesets, and even then they'll only do it a couple times. No point constantly checking for something so rare :P

graw-_@

I know the developer's probably not very interested in linux support. But, build 3.0.61 seems to run fine under Wine on linux with the vc6runtime libraries installed for anyone that's interested. For some reason the latest build (3.0.94) crashes and gives a runtime error '53' file not found error when clicking the load rom option. So far I'm enjoying playing with it. The last time I really played with SMILE was the original 2.5 version years ago. This seems to be a pretty big improvement. Thank you.

Scyzer

Hey everyone! Long time no see!

In the current update of RF I've decided to add a loading screen (to having something there in the event RF takes a few seconds to load everything up). What I'm looking for is a nice loading screen image for SMILE RF, around 300x200 pixels (although it really doesn't matter if it's a bit bigger or smaller). If anyone wants any inspiration, the banners up on Metconst could be a good idea :P

I'll be putting an update out in about 6-7 days. If I get multiple images, I'm certainly happy to have them all in a rotation randomly. It'd be a good opportunity to put something out you're proud of that a lot of hackers will see ;)

Please send all images over to my inbox!
Yes I realise this is technically begging, but as a lot of you already use RF I think I'm allowed to beg for a couple pics xD

Happy hacking everyone!

Jiffy

I'm not submitting this, because I want to submit something else.

I think a running image of Samus would be good for a loading screen. The more RF loads, the faster Samus gets, and eventually goes into speed boost mode as RF loads up.

Quietus

Hehe, I was bored, so I thought I'd tinker. :grin:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Scyzer

I should have mentioned that I would very much prefer non-animated images :P Animations would slow down the loading too much.

NicoleC

My apologies if it's awful, but, its worth an attempt.

mccad

uhhhhhh, I think you broke smile
It doesn't ever launch for me and when I tab out of the loading screen its impossible to tab back in