News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Hyper Metroid

Started by RealRed, April 17, 2015, 11:59:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strokend

Quote from: Quietus on September 03, 2015, 05:08:55 AM
Quote from: Shionkreth on September 02, 2015, 09:00:26 PMtoo bad the map wasn't color coded for doors you've been to but haven't gone through
This would be an amazing addition to hacks. :^_^:
Well, after seeing powerbomb icons show up on the map to tell you to go back and try it out there, I'm sure it can be done with doors too.

Quietus

Yeah, I can't see it being a major hurdle, and it feels like it should be added to all hacks when starting a new project. :grin:

Shionkreth

RealRed

Quote from: Shionkreth on September 04, 2015, 04:07:48 PM
So... Golden Torizo...
Instruction Manual.txt:
Don't feel obligated to defeat Gold Torizo: You're probably not supposed to fight him yet.

Shionkreth

Quote from: RealRed on September 04, 2015, 07:14:23 PM
Quote from: Shionkreth on September 04, 2015, 04:07:48 PM
So... Golden Torizo...
Instruction Manual.txt:
Don't feel obligated to defeat Gold Torizo: You're probably not supposed to fight him yet.

Yes, I read that at the beginning of the thread.. but it doesn't ease my ptsd. :P
Why does he end up in so many of our paths if we're not supposed to be there, though?

advancedpillow

For the challenge. Bust out flawless gameplay and crush him or retreat and fight another day...with more power ups.

Strokend

Quote from: advancedpillow on September 05, 2015, 12:21:02 AM
For the challenge. Bust out flawless gameplay and crush him or retreat and fight another day...with more power ups.

Sounds like SA-X if you actually stood a chance against her.

Shionkreth

Challenge indeed. :P I went back, beat kraid, went everywhere I could find with the superjump, got the springball, already had the spazer; sitting on 8 energy tanks and 160 ammo... am I supposed to fight him now? Looks like him for speedbooster then power bomb finally.. but he's still proving quite invincible for my modest skills.

Quietus

Check WindowHead's post here. It has a map, so SPOILERS, but look just under the hack's name, and it has a row of icons denoting the intended order of collection.

Shionkreth

Quote from: Quietus on September 05, 2015, 07:51:19 AM
Check WindowHead's post here. It has a map, so SPOILERS, but look just under the hack's name, and it has a row of icons denoting the intended order of collection.

Mmkay, thanks, that looks like a decisive no not yet. Having the powerbombs right near by behind speed booster blocks is a cruel tease. :P Back to searching, as fortunately that map was a bit hard to follow and didn't spoil anything but the order for me. Must just be somewhere I need the springball to access that I missed.

personitis

All this Gold Torizo talk reminded me I had a picture sitting in my Dropbox detailing an extremely easy way to trap and beat him. It's not completely effortless like in the original and with minimal equipment, you're in for a bit of a long ride (300+ shots or so). So if you're interested, go ahead and read the spoiler below.
[spoiler]

As soon as the fight starts, move to the right and morph into position labeled "1." When GT attempts to step forward, he should jump back, and you should move to position "2." He'll do this one more time and you should move to the "win" position. At this point, GT should be against the wall, throwing orbs. In that time, you unmorph into crouching, angle up, smack 'em with a charged shot, then promptly morph again so as not to get hit and knocked out of position (in most cases, that will cause this method to fall apart). Whenever the stupid bird statue is throwing orbs, you unmorph and shoot him. When he's trying to walk forward, you're in your ball, safely at his feet.

I'm not sure if he'll ever throw crescents with this setup (as it's been too long that I simply don't remember), but I don't recall ever having problems and that if he does, you're likely better staying morphed. I also recall being able to fit in two charge shots at some points and that might be due to him throwing crescents. But again, I can't remember jack all about him using the attack, so experiment at you're own risk! :bounce:
[/spoiler]

SuperKB

[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
Forgot what my time was sorry.

Wow this was something else. I didn't expect a hack to have so much freedom and amazing use of colors at the same time. The stylish colors and new designed enemies made me want to explore even further what the game had to offer, something I don't see certain hacks do often. What I really loved is what you did with the beam system. Each and every combination of beams have a different color even the ice beam has a different color combination besides being blue all the time. The gameplay is nicely thought of. It leaves the player questioning is it possible to explore an area with the abilities that he/she acquired while not knowing if he/she is under-powered or not. While the game has a lot of freedom, it can't guarantee it will be a breeze to navigate being under-powered by enemies or not. Its up to them to find out if its possible to survive a dangerous hostile environment with what they got, just like what the original NES Metroid did. I showed up in Kraid and Ridley's lair back in that game with no varia suit and wave beam and instantly got my ass handed several times when I was a kid play that game. This game on a slick treats you the same way which I really admire it for.

[spoiler]My only dislike so far is that Tourian and Mother Brain is too easy. I was really expecting a bit more challenging with the metroids, but I guess because I played Redesign too much... ^^;
[/spoiler]
9.5/10

weeniebeenie

Hi,

Great hack, really very enjoyable. Not too hard, and still stayed quite true to the original. I've got all the main items and cleaning up the rest but I'm stuck on one...

[spoiler] I'm struggling with the speed boost mechanics. I've seen a few people talk about it, and that Norfair 'timed' room in particular but I can't get it. I've seen this video on YouTube @ 1:34- 【改造メトロイド】Hyper Metroid 100% part08【720p60fps】

Is that what you're supposed to do, or is this some crazy skilled Japanese player? I've been fiddling for hours but I can't work out how you're meant to do that, or get through quick enough another way. If someone could give me a specific answer, the button combo/timing I'd appreciate it. [/spoiler]

CaRmAgE

Quote from: weeniebeenie on September 18, 2015, 09:39:35 PM
Hi,

Great hack, really very enjoyable. Not too hard, and still stayed quite true to the original. I've got all the main items and cleaning up the rest but I'm stuck on one...

[spoiler] I'm struggling with the speed boost mechanics. I've seen a few people talk about it, and that Norfair 'timed' room in particular but I can't get it. I've seen this video on YouTube @ 1:34- 【改造メトロイド】Hyper Metroid 100% part08【720p60fps】

Is that what you're supposed to do, or is this some crazy skilled Japanese player? I've been fiddling for hours but I can't work out how you're meant to do that, or get through quick enough another way. If someone could give me a specific answer, the button combo/timing I'd appreciate it. [/spoiler]

Hyper Metroid's speed booster mechanics work differently from vanilla.  In particular...

[spoiler=Speedbooster mechanics]1. Charging time is about half of what it used to be.
2. You can land without losing your boost.
3. You can change direction without losing your boost as long as you are spinning.

In fact, I believe there are only two ways to lose your boost:

1. Changing direction without spinning.
2. Touching a wall.  This includes walljump checks, so be careful not to get too close to the walls.[/spoiler]

That room is actually somewhat lenient about how quickly you need to get to the end (you can make a few mistakes and still make it).  It just takes practice getting used to the mechanics.  If you do lose your boost partway, you don't have to go all the way back to the beginning; you can charge the boost at the beginning of the top area as well (1:39 of the same video, for reference).

Quietus

Yeah, and I'm awaiting a TAS that plays nearly the entire hack in one boost. :cool:

weeniebeenie

Quote from: CaRmAgE on September 19, 2015, 12:21:27 AM
Quote from: weeniebeenie on September 18, 2015, 09:39:35 PM
Hi,

Hyper Metroid's speed booster mechanics work differently from vanilla.  In particular...

[spoiler=Speedbooster mechanics]1. Charging time is about half of what it used to be.
2. You can land without losing your boost.
3. You can change direction without losing your boost as long as you are spinning.

In fact, I believe there are only two ways to lose your boost:

1. Changing direction without spinning.
2. Touching a wall.  This includes walljump checks, so be careful not to get too close to the walls.[/spoiler]

That room is actually somewhat lenient about how quickly you need to get to the end (you can make a few mistakes and still make it).  It just takes practice getting used to the mechanics.  If you do lose your boost partway, you don't have to go all the way back to the beginning; you can charge the boost at the beginning of the top area as well (1:39 of the same video, for reference).

[spoiler]Ok, either I'm doing something wrong or it's because I'm using an Xbox 360 controller which as we know has a pretty bad d-pad. At the very start when I jump through the first bit and land it always loses boost, not touching any walls, just the floor on landing. I did actually manage to do what he did in the video twice whilst practising but I don't really know what I did. [/spoiler]

CaRmAgE

Quote from: Quietus on September 19, 2015, 07:31:13 AM
Yeah, and I'm awaiting a TAS that plays nearly the entire hack in one boost. :cool:

That would be fun to watch, lol.

Quote from: weeniebeenie on September 19, 2015, 10:12:51 AM
[spoiler]Ok, either I'm doing something wrong or it's because I'm using an Xbox 360 controller which as we know has a pretty bad d-pad. At the very start when I jump through the first bit and land it always loses boost, not touching any walls, just the floor on landing. I did actually manage to do what he did in the video twice whilst practising but I don't really know what I did. [/spoiler]

You might want to try switching to keyboard for a moment to see if the controller is your problem (assuming you're doing this on PC?).  You should only need to hold forward when landing (holding run is optional once the boost starts, IIRC).

PonchGaming

Hey realred, zoast just ran this:
http://www.twitch.tv/zoasty/profile
It was legitness

CrAzY

Quote from: weeniebeenie on September 19, 2015, 10:12:51 AM
[spoiler]

You might want to try switching to keyboard for a moment to see if the controller is your problem (assuming you're doing this on PC?).  You should only need to hold forward when landing (holding run is optional once the boost starts, IIRC).

Be warned that many wireless keyboards can only have a certain number of keys active at once. Especially if they are within a certain radius to other keys. Both of my last Microsoft keyboards had this issue.

hampeas

So I reviewed Hyper Metroid on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Metroid/comments/3nsch7/hyper_metroid_review_tldr_basically_metroid_souls/

tl;dr: It's kind of "Metroid Souls", and that's awesome.

Not mentioned in that review because I hadn't thought about it then, but it would be nice if Draygon's fight had a little more variety in it, though. As it is, it's basically just "charge a shot, hover with the screw attack until Draygon comes in slow from the side, zap him, repeat", with the occasional need to Crystal Flash if you take too many random zap hits somehow. It's just kind of atypical for Hyper bosses, and IMO not in a good way. Other than that, though, Hyper's a blast!

advancedpillow

Draygon is weak to power bombs.

ChoZ00

I have just started, it's great so far.

I don't know if this have been brought up but I found a block with wrong slope in east of Brinstar, See pic
[spoiler]

(I'm floating in mid air)
[/spoiler]

hampeas

QuoteDraygon is weak to power bombs.
...I never thought to try them. Guess I just figured Draygon was supposed to be a pain in the neck. Thanks!

skepticon

Dude, Ridley. What the fuck. 315 ammo and 11 tanks + 2 reserves. I should be able to kill him easily this far into the game.

CaRmAgE

Quote from: skepticon on November 17, 2015, 03:47:43 AM
Dude, Ridley. 315 ammo and 11 tanks + 2 reserves. I should be able to kill him easily this far into the game.

What beams do you have?  You should have all five before fighting him (or at least Charge, Spazer, and Plasma).  It is better to use the beam in that case instead of ammo.

Also, I don't know if you know this already, but you should stay in the air as much as possible when fighting him.