News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Hyper Metroid

Started by RealRed, April 17, 2015, 11:59:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARFNra

[spoiler] Well, yeah, as I said, I did too. But the hack hasn't really defined its limits yet at that point, so you could end up like Vismund and I expecting that to mean Don't Go Here. With such an exploration based hack, this is exactly how it tells you not to go into certain places. There has to be /some/ limitations on that. I still like the hack as it is, but that's one of the points I'd say is an honest negative with the whole "no idea where to go" thing. [/spoiler]

Lazymoth

[spoiler]I feel like in general the hack isn't totally nonlinear (not meant as an insult, I love it,) as in I feel like it's towards the Super Metroid side if you place it somewhere between the original and Ice Metal, for instance. It's more like there's a firmly intended route with items that aren't locked to the route (some beams & the screw attack) and many sequence breaks are possible, but those are more for speedrunners and much less for people going through the game for the first time.

I actually had no problem with the grapple room, because I try to give every room a little shot at exploration even if I feel like it might not be the right route at the current time. The biggest hurdle for me was the end of Maridia with the 15th gate. That's where I did get the vibe of "I'm not meant to pass the challenge from this side" with the speed booster blocks you need to go down through. I did try speed jumping from the other room multiple times but simply could not do it (I even caught the open passage as a possible hint.) Considering that really was the intended strategy, I guess I'm lucky I managed to get through by speed boosting from the upraised block in morph ball, haha.

Since I didn't know for sure that the 15th gate was indeed in Maridia, I was also combing every inch of the other zones trying to find it... good thing it was mentioned in the topic, it might have brickwalled me for a lot longer. So yeah, if I made one suggestion to edit something in this (fantastic) game it would just be that strip of Speed Booster blocks. If it were just two tiles wider it would be easy to boost ball down through it.

Anyway, just to clarify, I hope none of my posts come off as entitled and demanding that "this should be changed" or anything, I adore this hack, and thank you so much for all the work you put into it and letting us play it! Also, Vismund, I hope you can cleanse your palate of the hack and give it another shot sometime... I played through on the intended order and it was really good. :(

This is just a thought, but since there's no point to go past Golden Torizo with no Power Bombs, why not just put him behind a Power Bomb door? (That said, it is a cool accomplishment for people to beat him early on for the hell of it, but I can see how it would lead to disappointment.)

I'm not sure if anyone else mentioned this yet, but god Samus's beam when you have all of them active just looks and sounds and feels amazing. After I got Plasma I just walked around enjoying it for a while.[/spoiler]

NARFNra

Well, in the end, it wasn't that huge of an issue. I got the item in question after only a little bit. I just feel it could have been executed a bit better.

Black Soldier

Just finished it in 5:48 with 86% of the items in posession. I really loved this hack; I will go as far as to say it's the best Super Metroid hack I have played so far. Almost everything about it is incredible, from the exploration, to most of the boss fights, to the escape sequence. The only thing i didn't like about it was that the Draygon's position in its room seems kind of off (maybe this was intentional?).

Also, I did this too

Inevitable video playthrough is coming soon....

piush

After second day I aquired the power bombs. I like the exploration and the puzzles , not just to get items but to move forward. This is a great hack. Thank you for creating this. I did find though a problem  with the turtle guy. [spoiler]With the turtle. in the vertical shaft to reach the last set of blocks for him to break, he will get stuck on the left side of the wall sometimes. just wanted you to know this. I had to leave the room and re-enter a couple of times for him to get it right.[/spoiler]

nutella4eva

Sooo... this happened  :neutral:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZclad9Mi0k

Pretty sure it's a soft lock, but I could be wrong.

begrimed

lol, just watched that video earlier when I looked for Hyper on YouTube to see if anybody'd posted a run yet. Yeah, that's a pretty bad crouchlock. Surprised it didn't get caught in beta testing. I even jumped in and around that spot to make sure something like that didn't happen, since the slope is close to the underside of the platform and doesn't have the full 3-tile clearance. Darn.

nutella4eva

Quote from: Grime on April 20, 2015, 08:35:41 AM
lol, just watched that video earlier when I looked for Hyper on YouTube to see if anybody'd posted a run yet. Yeah, that's a pretty bad crouchlock. Surprised it didn't get caught in beta testing. I even jumped in and around that spot to make sure something like that didn't happen, since the slope is close to the underside of the platform and doesn't have the full 3-tile clearance. Darn.

It's an understandable oversight. I was certain I could crouch to get out of it, but I was wrong. It also was not my intention to be a dick in the video, I really do enjoy the hack thus far.

Retroo

I wish i could have liked this much as everybody else did, do i am not a fan of this at all. Im sorry thats just my opinion.

Quietus

I'm sure it's fine.  Everybody has their own tastes, and if this hack isn't for you, then it isn't.  No harm done. :^_^:

altoiddealer

I think I'm about halfway through, and I want to share that this is a stellar hack  :bounce: :nod: :bounce: :nod:

I'm sure this is exactly the kind of hack that Grime has been working to inspire through his creation of Project Base.

A few quick comments:

What I really admire with this is that there are so many opportunities to step out of the intended route, which will still leave you lost/stumped at times.  I feel like an "amateur" SM player might even be better off, because they won't get baited off-path, and thus progress more steadily, and probably even find the equipment expansions quicker.

-Great map size.  Lots of terrain to fly through with all the fast-paced PB modifications.

-Very nice integration of the back-jump!

-Nice difficulty.  I've completed other hacks that were pretty difficult/frustrating at points, and I'm enjoying the difficulty here.  I could also imagine this as being a great introductory hack for those who have only played Vanilla.

Hopefully other hackers see what you did here, and use PB similarly.  It worked out great with Hyper Metroid.  How could this possibly have only taken you 7 11 months?

RealRed

11 months. How did I do it? Love. (And a shitload of man hours)

EDIT: Alright, so I'm curious what everyone thinks. Design flaw or valuable sequencing option?
[spoiler]Gold Torizo seems to be a choke point for a lot of players; Easy to reach yet crushingly hard. Those that give in will likely find an upgrade or six, but those who prevail and force onward find an even more crushing battle, Ridley, and their reward for defeating him, while highly valuable, seems to frequently lead the player to early powerbombs. This then seems to always lead to exploration of massive, unrewarding sections of suitless underwater Maridia. Pain and suffering.

It seems of all of the people who this happened to, that Elminister was the only one whose mouth wasn't left with a bitter taste.
Do you think the game would be better if 1. a powerbomb door sealed away Gold Torizo, and 2. I made the intended route to powerbombs more obvious?
This would force getting powerbombs from one specific place, as well as speedbooster after powerbombs (no missing the Gravity suit either, so no nightmare inducing unintended underwater suitless zones)... But it would make the sequence a fair amount more rigid, because you won't be able to go for GT when YOU think you're ready but instead when I think you're ready. Thoughts? It sounds more unattractive the more I articulate the thought, honestly.[/spoiler]

MrTheFlame

Hi guys, I'm new here and I made an account just because of this hack.
The thing is, I'm stuck and really confused by the game.
[spoiler]
I have beaten Phantoon, got the Varia Suit, the X-Ray Visor and a few missiles, along with the Wave and Ice Beam.
I haven't beaten Kraid yet, and I have no idea about how to reach him.
I've been to the room where the ostrich shows you how to shinespark, but I can't open the door, since I don't have Super Missiles.
I have found a passage over the save room right underneath Kraid's room, but I can't seem to access it completely, because the blocks will only break by stepping on them.
I really appreciate your help, thank you.
[/spoiler]

piush

RealRed, as i said in my post above I like the riddles and having all the places to go to get the reward. like the powerbombs. i love explring and challenges. I beat Golden Torizo early. but I was determined. did not mind that it didn't pay off right away. I don't mind suitless marida for a little bit in this hack. There was one time I had no skills but can do a lot now. trying to sequence break is fun for me. I like this hack the way it is.

altoiddealer

Quote from: MrTheFlame on April 20, 2015, 03:47:14 PM
Hi guys, I'm new here and I made an account just because of this hack.
The thing is, I'm stuck and really confused by the game.
[spoiler]
I have beaten Phantoon, got the Varia Suit, the X-Ray Visor and a few missiles, along with the Wave and Ice Beam.
I haven't beaten Kraid yet, and I have no idea about how to reach him.
I've been to the room where the ostrich shows you how to shinespark, but I can't open the door, since I don't have Super Missiles.
I have found a passage over the save room right underneath Kraid's room, but I can't seem to access it completely, because the blocks will only break by stepping on them.
I really appreciate your help, thank you.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler]The bird has a special ability, does it not?  :grin:
If you need Supers liberate the bird, then you're going to have to go find them.  I'm not sure where supers are intended to be acquired, I got them via sequence break
[/spoiler]

piush

QuoteHi guys, I'm new here and I made an account just because of this hack.

MrTheFlame [spoiler]keep checking Norfair for supers[/spoiler]

Technomagus

Quote from: RealRed on April 20, 2015, 02:24:49 PM

EDIT: Alright, so I'm curious what everyone thinks. Design flaw or valuable sequencing option?
[spoiler]Gold Torizo seems to be a choke point for a lot of players; Easy to reach yet crushingly hard. Those that give in will likely find an upgrade or six, but those who prevail and force onward find an even more crushing battle, Ridley, and their reward for defeating him, while highly valuable, seems to frequently lead the player to early powerbombs. This then seems to always lead to exploration of massive, unrewarding sections of suitless underwater Maridia. Pain and suffering.

It seems of all of the people who this happened to, that Elminister was the only one whose mouth wasn't left with a bitter taste.
Do you think the game would be better if 1. a powerbomb door sealed away Gold Torizo, and 2. I made the intended route to powerbombs more obvious?
This would force getting powerbombs from one specific place, as well as speedbooster after powerbombs (no missing the Gravity suit either, so no nightmare inducing unintended underwater suitless zones)... But it would make the sequence a fair amount more rigid, because you won't be able to go for GT when YOU think you're ready but instead when I think you're ready. Thoughts? It sounds more unattractive the more I articulate the thought, honestly.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I'm fine with GT exactly where he is.  I found him, promptly got my ass kicked, and then decided to explore more and eventually found Spring Ball, Gravity, and Power Bombs.  Then my game froze due to emulator error (yay zSNES!) and I lost my power bomb progress.  If you can beat GT and Ridley early, cool, gratz on your Speed Booster, just make the "wrong" entrances to Maridia impassible without Gravity early on in order to prevent Suitless frustrations.  Also, with High Jump, you can single-wall jump while underwater and clear a cliff about 2-3 tiles away from the wall, so just make a cliff above Samus's maximum jump height more than 4 tiles away from the wall and have no freezable enemies nearby to use as platforms.  That should sufficiently discourage all but the stubbornest of players.[/quote]

So far, though, I must say I'm really enjoying the hack.  I love Project Base's maneuverability changes, and the aesthetic and palette choices are really nifty is a lot of areas.  I also like how interconnected everything is.  I'm probably around 50% of the way through with over 50% items, and I'm looking forward to seeing how everything ends.

germanmetroid

This hack is amazing, open ended and very enjoyable to play, It has a replay value, once you've finished it, you really want to try new paths, the difficulty may vary based on which path you've taken, at first you will get lost once you defeated X boss. When you get the rhythm of the game you will be enjoying it as well.
Also(Sorry If the image is too big)
[spoiler]Here, I'll give you an easter egg: [/spoiler]
I was searching for remaining expansions and found this :huzzah:

dczlowiek

Quote from: smgoty on April 18, 2015, 12:01:32 PM
Quote from: maxipower on April 18, 2015, 11:47:29 AM
Quote from: smgoty on April 18, 2015, 11:37:11 AM
You created the best game ever! Holy crap you created this amazing game in only 11 months?  You are the best.  Please tell me you are going to make more of these, don't stop now! 
Wall jumping feels perfect........has anyone figured out the timing on the infinity bomb jumping technique?  I can get it started but can't figure out the timing to keep it going.

Glitches found:
-Missing sound effect when obtaining upgrades (mophball, bombs, missiles).  This one is sad because I really enjoy the original sound effect from Super Metroid.  Here is the famous sound effect I'm referring to:
-Only fought Torizo once and he glitched out bad on me.  He immediately walked into the spike trap area on the left side of the room and became stuck walking back and forth repeatedly and not attacking.  He couldn't climb out of the spike trap area to get to me and he wasn't attacking me so he was a sitting duck.

Thank you for making this!  I love every second of it!

the lack of sound is not a glitch, the annoying jingle was taken out on purpose, but yea Torizo boss is meh, he gets trapped as you say and then ya gota force him to give you ammo by jumping over him.

Oh man that sucks.  I was hoping it was a glitch and he could fix it.  That sound effect is awesome, not annoying, but I do admit it starts getting annoying on the 25th plus time.  Maybe he can add the sound effect back for the first time you receive the upgrades only. For the important items (mophball, bombs, high jump, etc..... and for 1st missile pack, 1st super missile pack, 1st power bomb pack, etc.....).  That would only be 20 something times throughout the entire length of the game.  Much better than appox 90 plus times in the original.  Just a suggestion........

The fanfare is gone!?

Also, first post here! Just finished Phazon Hack and kind of obsessed with the hacks. The default controls and lack of the fanfare sound are turning me off. Still worth it to pick up and kill an evening? Anyone want to chime in?

Thanks for your hard work, regardless.

Smiley

Welcome to Metconst!

This hack is most definitely worth playing. You can easily kill several evenings if you can get over the lack of item fanfares.

Quietus

Trust me: A few hacks from now, you'll be tired of the fanfare anyway. :grin:

Daltone

[spoiler]Why not just put another gravity suit behind gold torizo w/ the same index?[/spoiler]

Good work btw, congrats on your timely release!

personitis

Just gonna pour my thoughts out, possibly incoherently, over the matter.
[spoiler]
I think this is more a player issue that isn't helped by the hack's freedom. If the player can reach it, most will do everything they can to make it through until they're absolutely told to stop (locked door, blocks they can't break, etc). Having and knowing of an available path and not being able to go down it due to something being extremely difficult to pass may make present some people with a challenge (which seems to be the general result here) while others will actually take the hint to go back and explore other areas.

For those trying to push through and getting frustrated because of it, you could put blame on both the player and the creator, but I'd be more inclined to put it upon the player. As the player, if they can't progress because something is too tough, that is their personal obstacle for whatever reasons may be present. Reasons like lack of ammo or energy, not being able to preform under the current situation (playing on tilt, when angry, or not feeling well), or not being as great of a player as they may think. There is always the easier solution of going back and searching other areas for more equipment in this kind of case. Should they manage to pass on low equipment, I think that's a reward worth it.

So if I've anything to say about this, I would keep the ability drop in on Gold Torizo whenever you want but before the player gets to do so, leave some signs for the player to pickup on the area being difficult or that maybe coming back with other equipment would be a good idea. I see that as being easier said than done though, being that the way the surrounding rooms are structured and how connected the hack is. On the matter overall, I think it's due to creators having difficulty making an open hack properly and the players going into such hacks with the wrong mindset, even if they are encouraged to go where they please.
[/spoiler]

Dr.Fart

Oh man.

I've played a lot of hacks, but never have I felt that a hack was as successfully completed as this one (And it's damn fucking impressive given the short amount of time Bloodsonic has worked in it.)

It simply feels like playing a professional work, the Nintendo feel is there, the level design is refined, the gameplay is amazing (thanks to the Project Base controls), and, oh gosh ! The graphics ! Maridia never looked so good.

Some oddities are surely there (it's damn too easy to stumble upon the Golden Torizo, and if you suck at this game like Vismund does, it's highly probable you'll end up hating it  :razz:), but they'll eventually be fixed I think.

10/10

Aura Of The Dawn

Aright, maybe it's just me being foolish, but this area is easily reachable without sequence breaks, (in my mind at least, I found it while looking for gravity suit), and in maridia before you have the gravity suit. Ending up in this pit turns into a 'reset your game'. Lowering the walls around it a nudge would fix it, or removing the sandfall over it. Either/or would free you to jump out without gravity suit.