News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Maxtroid DNY89 - Feat Project Base

Started by maxipower, January 16, 2015, 02:13:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxipower

Super Metroid redesign took the SM hacking community by storm years ago, but i always felt; as well designed as it was. It was a step back from what Metroid was, Then came project base and I fell in love. So much so that I decided to use it as a foundation for my rom hack. I hope the developer grimes doesn't mind. I do intend to change alot of things so it will in the end be a seperate enity, just using it as a base which i hope the name implies :neutral: Changes to GPX will come in time when I learn how its done that is. No room will be the same! Tho I cannot make doors so room layout will be key

My progress after a mere three days on my first rom hack, i've literally pumped about 12 hours a day learning the ropes as i've went. Nearly got my area 1 mapped out in full. Really pleased how its all come together. Now the real work begins with the other areas.

New Planet (DNY89) which hopes to focus on exploration and item collection. the order of items collected will be mixed up a bit with bombs for example will be picked up after high jump boots to negate the fact that bombs can be abused. That said there will be plenty of oppertunities for skilled players to obtain items early.

Area 1 - Unnamed WIP
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Area 1 Map WIP
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Area 2 - Unnamed WIP

[spoiler][/spoiler]

personitis

Grime has stated on a few occasions that, as the name implies, is clear game for being used as a base for projects. As for what you have to show, I'll be keeping an eye on this. Looks interesting and nice to see there will be map changes. Best of luck.

Quietus

Yeah, that was always the purpose of this hack, though Grime is obviously expanding it into its own thing now as well.

You have a number of fairly obvious tiling errors in those screenshots, so make sure you fix them up. :^_^:

maxipower

Phew.. I was actually dreading peoples reactions. Hoping add an ice cavern area next and hope elevators arnt too hard so its changing already :). Ah I see the errors now. I am trying to get as many as i go but ill focus on it more during the polishing stage.

FullOfFail

There's a lot of tiling errors, and certain things need more variety, but it looks like you're off to a good start. On the main site, there's a chat, you can drop in if you need some assistance with more of the simple questions you may have.

Zhs2

Grime is a true benefactor to the community at large. Bless his willingness to step forth and allow talented creators to do great things with our beloved SupMet through sharing and caring. Also, I love anyone who reverts his suit palettes back to Vanilla-likes. Looks like other Project Base users have some competition :)

Cpt.Glitch

Wow I didn't think of using project base as a base for my hack...

The Monster of Surrealton

>Maxtroid

I expect MAXIMUM awesomeness. Looking forward to this :D

Quote from: Zhs2 on January 16, 2015, 02:54:39 PM
Also, I love anyone who reverts his suit palettes back to Vanilla-likes. Looks like other Project Base users have some competition :)

The new vanilla palettes look like my Prime palettes...

I'm...touched...

*Eyes water up*

maxipower

Quote from: The Monster of Surrealton on January 17, 2015, 01:02:13 AM
>Maxtroid

I expect MAXIMUM awesomeness. Looking forward to this :D

Quote from: Zhs2 on January 16, 2015, 02:54:39 PM
Also, I love anyone who reverts his suit palettes back to Vanilla-likes. Looks like other Project Base users have some competition :)

The new vanilla palettes look like my Prime palettes...

I'm...touched...

*Eyes water up*

They are, they look scheweeeeet!

Qactis

There's some really obvious tiling errors, I'm sure you notice them yourself and have probably already fixed them, also remember to double check your slopes/BTS, it's easy to make mistakes there as well. Your suit palettes look great. Keep on truckin sir

maxipower

Quote from: Qactis on January 17, 2015, 06:00:29 PM
There's some really obvious tiling errors, I'm sure you notice them yourself and have probably already fixed them, also remember to double check your slopes/BTS, it's easy to make mistakes there as well. Your suit palettes look great. Keep on truckin sir

Suit palletes are not my own. Credit goes to The Monster of Surrealton. Few of you mentioned tile errors. that is a minor concern of mine for now. Whilst id love all tiles to be sitting perfect but I really wanna focus on getting roams connected first. Anything I miss will be touched up at the end. Room development comes first. :)

Heres a from screenies from Area 2 which is just underway now.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Quietus

Since you seem to be skipping tiling errors for now, I won't point those out. :^_^:

Instead, I'll suggest that you try to vary your filler tiles more.  Using just one tile looks boring and unnatural.  Also, when working with rocky or natural terrain, try to avoid having straight edges longer than three to four tiles, as that also looks odd.

begrimed

QuoteMy progress after a mere three days on my first rom hack, i've literally pumped about 12 hours a day learning the ropes as i've went.
You're off to a MUCH better start than most. My god, your thread actually has screenshots in it! If you finish this hack, I'll post it up on the Project Base pages so anybody who finds my hack will also find yours, so make sure it kicks ass, and don't ever rush anything. This will probably be a years-long process for you if you're serious about it.

Also, back-ups, back-ups, back-ups.