News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Week 2015 - Archives

Started by snarfblam, February 26, 2014, 05:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snarfblam

For your viewing pleasure, please enjoy this archive of RotW winners for 2015.

Week One: 1/1/2015 - 1/12/2015
    Charmander106
Week Two: 1/13/2015 - 1/16/2015
    Jiffy
Week Three: 1/17/2015 - 1/23/2015
    Benki
Week Four: 1/24/2015 - 1/30/2015
    Jiffy
Week Five+: 1/31/2015 - 2/28/2015
    Benki
Week Nine: 2/28/2015 - 3/6/2015
    squishy_ichigo
Week Ten: 3/7/2015 - 3/14/2015
    RealRed
Week Eleven: 3/14/2015 - 3/21/2015
    DSO

Quietus

Jefe's room has some good stuff going on this week, as well as some nice palettes.  However, I suspect that it'll be a bit of a landslide this week, what with the Webber brothers giving us all eyegasms with their collaboration.  Great work, guys! :cool:

SpoOkyMagician

@MST: Well, it's a 1x1 room. It looks okay but, they are hard to judge IMO. It looks too symmetrical to me. Modifying that may help improve the room but, still a good effort.
@charmander: Holy hell! :whoa: Now THIS is the definition of a well designed room. :grin: Great job.
@Jefe: Nicely done Jefe. THIS is another example of a well designed room. Great job as well.

Overall, I gotta give my vote to charmander. I just love the look/feel of this room. :nod:

~ SpoOkyMagician

MetroidMst

[spoiler][17:22] <@MetroidMst> It says LOL
[17:22] <@MetroidMst> It cannot be taken seriously
[17:22] <@MetroidMst> When you laugh out loud at it
[17:22] <+Mon732> It does?
[17:22] <+snarf> aaaaaaaah
[17:22] <@MetroidMst> Look at it
[17:22] <+snarf> I hadn't noticed
[17:22] * MetroidMst :D
[17:22] <+snarf> And I wouldn't have
[17:22] <@MetroidMst> NOBODY KNOWS THE SECRET MACHINATIONS OF METROIDMST
[17:23] <+snarf> The best jokes are the ones nobody gets
[17:23] <@MetroidMst> I also farm spagetti in a field
[17:23] <+Mon732> So it does.
[17:23] <+Mon732> Should've expected it really.
[17:23] <@MetroidMst> All my rooms send subliminal messages
[17:24] <@MetroidMst> The one I did before this was a dude taking a dump
[17:24] <+snarf> The message was not recieved
[17:24] <+snarf> I did not LOL
[17:24] <+snarf> However, I do need to take a dump...
[17:24] <+Mon732> DSO, put a subliminal yoshi in one of Mst's rooms.
[17:24] <+snarf> interesting
[/spoiler]

SpoOkyMagician

Wow. That was hidden pretty well MST. I honestly did not see that until now. :neutral: Nice. :lol:

~ SpoOkyMagician

Grimlock

Jiffy - Nice color choices, definitely some of your best work, congrats on that!

Charmander106 - Pretty slick, very impressive work! <-- VOTED

MetroidMst - Final gag room of 2014.  Best gag room of 2014?   :nuhuh: .... One doesn't have to 'dig deep' to see the LOL room is easily 'picked' off by the Grim Picker!  :grin: . the only serious 'pick' for best gag room of 2014!
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Happy New Year all (ok, back to the booze  :nod: :grin:)

Jiffy

I picked this room today.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Quietus

I really like the palette, Jefe.  The white seems to really bring out the rockiness of the tiles. :^_^:

Vismund Cygnus

Early entry, in case I'm not here in time.
[spoiler=Six-legged, lost and found]

Total number of bytes used: 8,192. There's an extra few rows of scroll down the bottom but honestly I didn't want to have to expand the room again so here it is, in all it's glory, or something.[/spoiler]

Cloud20

Love this one Vis, this is really beautiful  :whoa:

Keep it up

Alisa Orlova

Example: We have a table with two cups, but only one of them have a shadow. Our eyes can instantly check the second cup and say to us :"it's wrong!". So, in my opinion, it's the worst of the possible shadow combinations. No shadows it's still much better than half of them. Realistic and unrealistic at the same time. In this stage this trick just a "not awesome", just like water without Sumus reflection but this trick have a serious potential for custom tilesets. It seems you are OK "Web" bro, nice work. My vote for you.  :razz:

Jiffy

Last week got no update so I guess I'll start this next week.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Quietus

That's a really nice room, Jefe.  I like it. :^_^:

Vismund Cygnus

Quote from: Jefe962 on January 11, 2015, 02:47:08 PM
Last week got no update so I guess I'll start this next week.

[spoiler][/spoiler]
Yeah I guess we all forgot the week went over. So which room would you rather have entered, is the question?

Jiffy

I guess I'll save this new one until the next week. Use my previous entry this week. :^_^:

SlyPork

So who is currently on the ballot for this week's ROTW? I'm trying to decide if I want to finish my room for this week or wait until next week so it's actually on time.

Jiffy

Basically last week didn't happen, so this week is last week's (my room and Vismund's masterpiece). Next week you can enter. I think that's how it is anyway.  :colonrightv:

Quietus

Jefe for me this week.  I love the colouring of the rock formations.  My gripe with it would be the zero-effort filler, with just one tile used.

Grimlock

Quote from: Quietus on January 13, 2015, 06:50:31 AM
Jefe for me this week.  I love the colouring of the rock formations.  My gripe with it would be the zero-effort filler, with just one tile used.

Agreed on all points.  Nicely done Jefro  :yay:.

Grimlock

Early submission for next week....

First M1 screen of 2015  :grin:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
I started on the graphics yesterday evening....  was getting withdrawals (Snarfy MMC3 conversion pending/code work in progress for my main project  :wink: )

Quietus

It looks OK, but I think you could do with a few tiles to use as filler variation, to make it look like lines or layers in the snow. :^_^:

Grimlock

Yea I was thinking about using some of the breakable tiles for detail tiles in the snow (where the player can't break them).  With the NES 8-bit limitations it's a bit risky to add many detail tiles this early in a tile sets development.  I might go ahead and create the snow lines, I think I can pull off 5 16x16s with just 10 unique 8x8 tiles plus 1 white which I already have. M1 doesn't have the luxuries SM has as far a tile quantities and color selection.

Here is what the NES (specifically M1) provides for tiles:

120 8x8 solid or 29 16x16 (can't flip like in SM)
40 8x8 breakable or 10 16x16
16 8x8 door tube tiles (8 8x8 for each door type)  - this is hex edited, normally you get 2
80 8x8 "air" tiles or 20 16x16
256 total 8x8 or 64 total 8x8 tiles

For perspective the tile set as it appears uses:

Usable tiles: (door tiles and breakable animation tiles excluded)

84 8x8 solids used
32 solid 8x8 remaining

40 8x8 breakable remaining

48 "air" 8x8 used
32 "air" remaining

EDIT:  In game screenshot (The tile set is designed so the player is about waist high in snow which is why so many "air" tiles are used, the tree like plants are solid except for the flower/buds which are "air")

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Grimlock

Ok so I couldn't resist working in some additional detail (cost me 10 solid 8x8 tiles)...

New fancy updated snow:  :cool:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Qactis

Looks much better than the first. I would even venture to add more of those ice blocks to the center somewhere, maybe a few more lines in the snow, and another tree or 2 on the left side

RealRed

Damn, Grimlock. those graphics are awesome!

I'm entering this one.