News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Week 2015 - Archives

Started by snarfblam, February 26, 2014, 05:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vismund Cygnus

Jefe's is Greenstar and Benki's is just better Greenstar, so Benki is the obvious choice. Plus voting for myself is laem

Quietus

I've gone for Jefe this week.  It's just a simple, well built room.  I found it tougher to choose this week, and I'm beginning to feel like it's me growing weary of the green Brinstar tileset.  Crateria faced the same problem some time ago, so it looks like we're wearing the game out one tileset at a time. :^_^:

Retroo

Benki are so good with that tileset! voted on Benki :D!

Benki

Voted for vismund
Im sure this room looks amazing in game

FullOfFail

It's basically a war of atmosphere verses aesthetics to me, and I'm going with atmosphere so Vis gets the nod.

SpoOkyMagician

@Jefe: Excellent room design as usual. However, I still think someone did slightly better.
@Vismund: Not a fan of the color choice... (purple...) However, design wise, it looks good to me.
@Benki: Excellent room design as well. I think I found the winner this week.

~ SpoOkyMagician

Quote58

->Jefe:
Palette is too bright, doors look super out of place, background is nice but the pink brinstar tiles don't blend properly into the rest of the scenery at all. You can and have done much better.
->Vismund:
Rad surreal vibe. Has a great alien, sci-fi look to it. The purple feels too solid though, I think a lighter shade would help.
->Benki:
God damn this is good. Extra points for the purple in the background. The cre tiles fit well with the room, and it generally looks like fun to play through.
You got my vote.

Vismund Cygnus

Quote from: FullOfFail on February 17, 2015, 03:17:32 PM
It's basically a war of atmosphere verses aesthetics to me, and I'm going with atmosphere so Vis gets the nod.
Thanks, atmosphere is what I was aiming for, given there's only so much I can do with the Crateria tileset.
Quote from: Quietus on February 17, 2015, 08:09:54 AM
I found it tougher to choose this week, and I'm beginning to feel like it's me growing weary of the green Brinstar tileset.  Crateria faced the same problem some time ago, so it looks like we're wearing the game out one tileset at a time. :^_^:
Looks like it's time for a Maridia comeback!  :grin:

Quietus

Quote from: Vismund Cygnus on February 19, 2015, 12:43:00 AM
Looks like it's time for a Maridia comeback!  :grin:
You'll not get any complaints from me.  I like Most of the Maridia stuff. :^_^:

SlyPork

One thing I just noticed with Vismund's room that seems very off is the stars near the top are obviously individual tiles because it has a darker background color than the actual background.

FullOfFail

Quote from: SlyPork on February 19, 2015, 11:32:06 AM
One thing I just noticed with Vismund's room that seems very off is the stars near the top are obviously individual tiles because it has a darker background color than the actual background.

Good find. I've done that before myself when I had a darker monitor before. Just as a tip, you should turn the brightness on your monitor fairly high when hacking, you'll end up noticing so many errors with the darker backgrounds you'll be astonished.

squishy_ichigo

RotY is blocking RotW on the front page, so lets bump our topic, shall we?

But while I'm at it, I might as well submit a room from a dead project.

[spoiler]There was a waterfall where the green slime is in the center of the room.
[/spoiler]

SpoOkyMagician

I didn't see anything in the rules about "for fun" rooms. (meaning, not intend to use in a hack, just made for the fun of it.) Are these allowed to be submitted? I don't mind throwing random room designs for fun. If not, oh well.

Edit: I am asking because of the... lack of rooms submitted... :neutral:

~ SpoOkyMagician

personitis

There have been many rooms submitted that were either goofy, a joke, or created just for the competition. So yes, it doesn't have to be from a current work in progress project.

SpoOkyMagician

Alright. I am messing around with room 799F9. Going to make a castle/mansion type room for the heck of it.

Edit: I rushed it near the end because I gotta go to sleep. It's good enough.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

~ SpoOkyMagician

Grimlock

SpoOkyMagician, looks good but the brick tiles are very repetitive.  Also some of the passageways could use some more variation.  Other than that it looks good, the table and wall art are pretty neat.

Benki

Quote from: squishy_ichigo on February 28, 2015, 06:46:26 PM
RotY is blocking RotW on the front page, so lets bump our topic, shall we?

But while I'm at it, I might as well submit a room from a dead project.

[spoiler]There was a waterfall where the green slime is in the center of the room.
[/spoiler]

/: squish can you post a video i feel like the picture doesn't do it justice..

DSO

Squishy: The green slime is pretty cool, and the atmosphere of the room is rather dark and foreboding. If I were to detract points for something, it's that it looks like it might be a bit of a pain to navigate around in?

SpoOkyMagician: I'm having flashbacks to Golden Dawn with this vanilla palette and overall style of room building. Very squarish and regular looking room, but unlike Golden Dawn, it seems to be easy to navigate. This type of room build style isn't likely to win RoTW, but I will say I'm still definitely looking forward to playing hacks like this where your ability to move through the rooms is relatively unhindered.

Voted for Squish

Quietus

Squishy for me this week.  I didn't think that either room was particularly fancy, but they both look perfectly functional.

SpoOkyMagician

I am sure I could of done better but sadly, I didn't have much time. (I am hosting a tournament that I need to prepare for.) Next time I enter a room, I will try to pick a 2x2 or something.

I won't bother voting this time since I entered. However, I will give my usual review for squishy.

@squishy: Overall, I love the room. Only one thing I would recommend is the dark red background tile used could use use some variety but other than that, it looks good to me. (A different/modified tile completely I mean. If available.)

~ SpoOkyMagician

RealRed

[spoiler=submission][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Media][/spoiler]

Parabox

Someone call Retro and get Bloodsonic hired for Metroid Prime 4 because that's some prime-ass level design, my good man.
(Also, please regard my signature as to your apparent emulator choice.)

Zhs2

You should let me know if there's an SNES emulator with a UI that doesn't suck ass, like SNES9x, or isn't just eh to use, like higan. Then we'll talk.

ZSNES 4 LYFE LONG LIVE ZSNES (WHY DID IT HAVE TO DIE)

Quietus

I still have a lot of love for ZSNES, mainly because it's always been what I've used, but I'm slowly moving toward BizHawk, since it's all-in-one, and also features handy things like the beloved rewind.

Parabox

You could just use retroarch as a frontend for the bsnes core and customize the fuck out of it, Zeke.