News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

SM Ridley's Revenge (Boss Battle)

Started by Prime Hunter, April 18, 2014, 08:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prime Hunter

As today marks the 20th anniversary of Super Metroid's NA release, I've decided to go ahead and release this. While I originally wanted to save this reveal until I release my first hack, my inability to stick with one idea and run with it would mean this wouldn't come around for many years at my current pace.

Ridley deserves better than that.

RIDLEY'S REVENGE! (Unheadered)

Thanks to some digging into Kejardon's old Ridley AI documentation, I was able to start piecing together a means for making the Norfair Ridley fight more interesting. This battle is just one example of how that might be possible.

Special thanks to Kejardon and JAM for the AI documentation and a couple of item patches I used here.

For anyone who's curious about the various hex edits, take a look here.

Kitsune_Phoenix

*deleted post*

Retroo

i have played it now and in my eyes that should have been the fight in the orignal

FullOfFail

I had to double-check, but there's already a hack named Ridley's Revenge.

http://www.metroidconstruction.com/hacks.php?h=h28

Yours is probably more appropriate for the title, but I'm not sure how this would be listed. I suppose you could just have Ridley's Revenge (Prime Hunter) and Ridley's Revenge (Tyjet66). That's what ended up happening to the Hard-Mode hacks made by numerous people, anyway.

Prime Hunter

The name was a spur of the moment decision I made as I was connecting all of the rooms together the other day. It's really just to demonstrate the changes I made to the Ridley fight more than anything else and I wanted people to be able to play it for themselves. Didn't even think to check if there was an actual hack by that name before I posted.

It's not a big deal to me if we end up changing the name of this one to something else because of that.

MetroidMst

I played this a couple of days ago, and while Ridley was quite interesting, I was more impressed with the time you took to polish such a tiny little hack. The only issue in that department is the gray doors in the landing site not working how they should. But taking the time to do the other small stuff for such a tiny hack was very nice to see.

Quietus

* Quietus looks around sheepishy after realising there was more to see in this hack than just using SMILE to start outside Ridley's door. :oh:

Cpt.Glitch

I was playing through this hack and found that if you go to the right of the landing site, through the door, the escape sequence begins and the player can complete the game. I recorded it and its in the video below. I'm not sure if this was intended, but I doubt it. Mainly because I didn't have to fight Ridley, when that's what this hack is based off of.
I didn't see the email if the creator to report this to, so I put it here instead. The bug is about 7 minutes into the video
http://youtu.be/UnIrkWTbRTw

Cpt.Glitch

Quietus

Mst mentioned in the original thread that there were problems with the grey doors in the landing site.  Perhaps that's what he was referring to?  I don't think it is intended as there is actually some hack to see, despite the hack primarily being an exhibition of a more aggressive Ridley.

Cpt.Glitch

Oh. I tried search for the original but it an error message kept popping up. Thanks for the quick reply,  :^_^:

Corruptor

Me likey...I always thought the Super Metroid boss battles should've been a little more interesing...I gotta try this.