News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Came here to learn how to use "SMILE JX" :)

Started by DromEd, November 29, 2014, 09:05:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DromEd

Hello people. This is only sincea few monthes ago that I discovered Super Metroid, and I was very impressed by that 20 years old game ! So big map, easy to get lost, need to go back on already seen paths to use recently got items, very labyrinthic etc... :yay:
After 2 or 3 monthes of playing (and still not could get to the end of the game yet, seems endelessly !), I want to create my own aventure, my own big map in the same ambiance/spirit of what I discovered on Super Metroid. So, I downloaded SMILE JX (normal SMILE do not work for me as I get an error, probably 76 or whatever the number), but I do not know how to use it. I want to be able to place each single block or objects (like doors, ennemies..) in very specific places, configure them well (this one door should be a yellow one as exemple, and when you enter on it you go to the room number "xxxxxx" and not the one that was set by default.
I couldn't find any tutorial on SMILE so I decided to register here to get help from people who know how to use it and can teach me to use SMILE.  :^_^:

The most practical way would be instant chatting (like skype) with someone for questions but I do not want to waste people's time either. I hope I can find answers here...  :cool:
NOTE : I posted in off-topic as I didn't see any "introduce yourself" thread.

Jiffy

First off... SMILE JX is not the best tool to use. (Right now, anyway.) We have SMILE 2.5; the interface is much better, and has the features that were removed in JX.

Secondly, your best place for tutorials is ShyGuyExpress (known as MetroidMst here). You can find the playlist Here.  :^_^:

e; I didn't see you get Runtime Error 76. That's easy to fix, just go Here.

Quietus

Note that Mst's videos don't cover the basics of what does what.  There's a beginner's guide to SMILE here.

For instant chat, connect to the IRC channel.  Details are on the Main Site.  I'd suggest NOT heading straight on there if you haven't even grasped the basics of SMILE yet.

We also have more tutorials in the Videos section.

The Introduce Yourself! thread was the fourth item down in the section you created this topic in. :razz:

Welcome to MetConst. :^_^:

DromEd

Thank you both for your answers. I'm trying to read the stuff but I do not understand that much for now...I'm trying to read very slowely but I don't want to keep asking questions every second. I assume that several guys earlier asked thousands times the same questions I could ask too. I do not want to be another annoying guy. I do not want to spam of questions the IRC channel either. I try to click 'randomly" on things on SMILE without saving and try to see the changes.

I didn't see about the Introduce yourself thread, sorry. Also, Your link to the beginner's guide redirects nowhere (error 404)

Quietus

Sorry about the link.  It had an extra / on the end.  It's now fixed. :^_^:

MetroidMst

I will say that playing around with SMILE is your best bet for learning the basic stuff and getting a feel for your own design. It takes a while to get used to the editor. So reading through the guide and messing around with SMILE will help a lot to get familiar with it.

Jordan5

Along with what Mst has said, don't plan to make a hack right away. Just play around and see what cool things you can do. If you like it, keep it, if not keep messing around. Most of the things you will want to do will require being confident with SMILE, whilst others might involve hex editing or applying ASM etc. So just take your time and don't worry if you break things - it happens all the time :lol: Just don't forget to make back-ups often, so you don't lose all your progress.

Metaquarius

Quote from: DromEd on November 29, 2014, 09:05:50 AMI couldn't find any tutorial on SMILE
And I bet you didn't try much. There're tutorials in other languages like French even now. Learn how to use Google first, really. :neutral:

DromEd

Quote from: Metaquarius on November 29, 2014, 02:32:07 PM
And I bet you didn't try much. There're tutorials in other languages like French even now. Learn how to use Google first, really. :neutral:

Thank you for such a warm welcome  :lol:

Alisa Orlova

Quote from: DromEd on November 29, 2014, 03:23:04 PM
Quote from: Metaquarius on November 29, 2014, 02:32:07 PM

Thank you for such a warm welcome  :lol:

Pfff...  A-ha-ha-ha! Oh bro, I'm so sorry, so sorry. I hope you thought something like this: "Oh, not so many French speaking people here, looks like we'll be friends with Metaquarius! It will be so awesome and useful because he is a serious coder!". But BOOM! Now you are alone here! Mu-ha-ha-ha!  :lol:

DromEd

I do not want to screw up the ambiance and I did not want to act in a bad way.
Sorry if you got irritated by me  :pale:

Cpt.Glitch

You got me so irritated that I killed myself I'm my stardust practice run. :oh:

Metaquarius

Quote from: DromEd on November 29, 2014, 04:46:11 PM
I do not want to screw up the ambiance and I did not want to act in a bad way.
Sorry if you got irritated by me  :pale:
Don't feel sorry, it happens I'm kind of a rude person. I need to learn how to "welcome" new people. The fact is that I couldn't find any tutorial on the matter...  :lol: