News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Creating new enemies

Started by TobiMikami, August 31, 2014, 07:43:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TobiMikami

I've seen a lot more people becoming capable of doing this lately, I was kind of wondering if there's any documents these guys are learning about this from. At the moment the probability of me using it is kind of low, however, I want the documents if they exist to stash away in with my SMILE documents for when the day comes, I know more than likely it's not very easy to do, but I really have no intentions on messing with big stuff, just smaller stuff, but whether I use it immediately, or ever, really isn't the question, I just kind of want to know the basis of it xD

Quietus

It depends on what you mean by 'new'.  Cloning existing enemies for more variety is relatively easy, along with possibly changing their graphics.  Once you get into the realms of actual new enemies, with new AI, that's a whole different ball game, and is most likely the result of hours spent analysing existing enemies' AI patterns, following by extensive testing with altered patterns.  I'm not aware of any documents relating to creating new enemies, but there's plenty of documentation out there that relates to various parts of their creation.  It all depends on how deep you wish to follow the rabbit hole... :^_^:

P.JBoy

There's always the Kraid, Ridley, Waver and Geemer (there are some more out there). As well as a load of bank logs including enemy ones, as well as a load of other information

TobiMikami

With existing enemies, is there a way to add tiles to them to make them bigger? Also, as far as animations go, I know there's ways in the Hex to change the animation step, however, is there a way to change the individual animations, in the sense of if I edited for example a side hopper, if I changed the graphics around it would still move the same and be all fucked up if I didn't make an enemy that moved in the same fashion like an Autoad from M2 or something, is there a way perhaps to change that around, like even if say a side hopper changed its movement pattern from like a side hopper to like Ridley in M1, if that makes any sense.

Quietus

The short answer is yes, that's all possible, much as it is with Samus.  However, it's a big task, so make sure you're committed before you start.

Quote58

I have documents about enemies (including disassembles of multiple enemies) which I'll be uploading when I have my site ready, but for now here's a list of things you'll need to get started. (this is assuming you know ASM, or for when you learn it at least):
-Enemy ram
-Geemer ai
-Example enemies
-Scyzer's rundown on enemy tilemaps
Along with previously stated bank logs and other AIs of course.

TobiMikami

I've been recently diving into the world of ASM, much to my surprise, it's so much easier than I had originally anticipated, I considered it the "next step" in my three and a half year hacking career, those docs will come in handy down the road from now, so thank you very much Quote. c: