News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Introduce Yourself!

Started by Phazar, May 17, 2009, 05:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkonomicon

Quote from: Quietus on November 11, 2013, 06:20:13 PM
Welcome to the forum, Darkonomicon. :^_^:

Is the name Evil Dead related by any chance?
I don't actually know what that... game/anime/something.. is

Quietus

Yeah, the necronomicon is supposedly the book of the dead, and it's referenced in quite a few things, but probably the most well known thing that it's referenced in is the Evil Dead films, most obviously the one called Necronomicon. :^_^:

Parabox

If you want to take it old school, look no furher than the works of H. P. Lovecraft. Most of his stuff is published online.

Crashtour99

It should be noted that there are 3 different necronomicons. 
The one most people think of is indeed the fictional book created as a prop for H.P. Lovecraft's stories, penned by the "mad Arab" Abdul al Hazred.

The second (the "Simon" necronomicon) is more of a recreation of the rites and rituals of the ancient Sumerians, the legitimacy of which is heavily debated in occult circles.

The last is of Egyptian origin, and while it is commonly called the "necronomicon" (the book of the dead) it's actual translated name is "The Book Of Coming Forth By Day" (or "The Book Of Emerging Into The Light") and contains all of the funeral rites and procedures to ensure that the 7 souls of the person make it to their respective resting places among the heavens.   It's more of a collection of funerary scripts and rituals than anything else.  :wink:

Quietus

Meh, I still prefer the skin-bound one from the Evil Dead movies. :yay:

They even did a DVD with it as their cool cover. :lol:

Darkonomicon

I based my name of the.... THING called Bombinomicon from TF2 wich was based on the Necronomicon

Quietus

And the circle is complete. :study:

Steel Sparkle

Hello all! Is it ok if a male brony who is a pro and love's the Metroid series joins this site?

personitis

There are a handful of bronies around here, so no need to be afraid. Also, a pro Metroid player say? :colonrightv: Welcome aboard.

Steel Sparkle

Thank you! I'm always happy to meet friendly people!  :^_^:

Charmander106

Welcome to metroid construction. Hope you enjoy your stay! Always happy to see new people here.  :^_^:

JamieWebb16

Hello and welcome! :grin: Love to see new people here. :)

Steel Sparkle

Nice to meet you too friend!  :^_^:

Quietus

Welcome, one and all. :^_^:

FullOfFail

Hi Steel Sparkle, welcome to our community. Are you interested in hacking, or just wanted to join? Either way, there's always tons of stuff around here, if you hack, there's tons of docs and resources, if you like playing them, there's tons of those too.

Steel Sparkle

Quote from: FullOfFail on November 16, 2013, 02:40:50 AM
Hi Steel Sparkle, welcome to our community. Are you interested in hacking, or just wanted to join? Either way, there's always tons of stuff around here, if you hack, there's tons of docs and resources, if you like playing them, there's tons of those too.
Thanks! I'll look I to that!  :^_^:

Lady_K

Hi! I'm new to hacking Super Metroid but have been doing a little research on my own and have already figured some things out. I also have been looking through the SMILE guide and a few FAQ posts. I have a little experience with Hex editing and assemblies because of my boyfriend who taught me while I was hacking Sonic some (He's more into Sonic and has been working on his own game for quiet a while, WAYYYY before we even met). He was the one who showed me that games like this could be hacked. So I decided to look into Super Metroid. I was super excited to find out that my favorite game was able to be hacked! So here I am!  :grin:

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

MetroidMst

Welcome!

Few things I would say are:

1: Play around with SMILE and learn how things work with that.
2: Be patient.
3: Make a lot of backups.
4: Don't ever use Red Crateria.
5: Use bubbles.

Working on stuff early on is exciting, but once you really start to get into a serious project that excitement can turn into a sudden realization that it takes a lot of work. Don't be scared of that, and just keep plugging away. You'll also develop your own "style" of hacking too, which is pretty much what your fingerprint will look like on all hacks you make. People find what they like, and they generally stick pretty close within that boundary. So that will come along as you keep messing around too.

begrimed

Also, you should totally drop by IRC and hang out there. Over time you'll absorb lots of good info, and be able to ask anything and generally get a quick response if the hacking peeps are awake. Also, welcome aboard.

To add to MetroidMst's list:

6. Don't create a new topic to announce your hack after only making a few rooms. Wait until you've gotten a lot done so there's more content to show off. People do this allll the time before they realize their goal of finishing a polished hack is possibly years away, and it's gotten some pretty cranky responses. :U

7. Don't take on too many goals at once. It's easy to get overwhelmed with ideas that would require ASM or are way beyond your current skillset. Start off by just building rooms using the original graphics. There's no shame in leaving the doors where they are and simply redesigning the rooms around them for awhile.

8. Make lots of back-ups. =P

9. Give this a read at some point if you're so inclined. Includes a lot of the jibberish that gets thrown around here.

Lady_K

Thanks guys for the tips! Grime, thanks for the glossary. It will definitely come in handy! And MetroidMst, I love what I have seen of you Fear hack! And as soon as I can I will figure out the IRC thing...   :metroid:

hitaxas

Hello everybody. I am Hitaxas. I am the boyfriend of Lady_K and have been on numerous websites and forums under the same name. I am a frequent member/lurker of the SonicRetro forums, which dedicates itself to Sonic the Hedgehog modification, much like this forum does with Super Metroid and the other Metroid games.

After Lady_K informed me of this website and the fact that Super Metroid can be hacked, I decided to check it out for myself.

I see that a lot about the game has been documented, pretty well. However it is a huge change in style in terms of editing. Has anybody thought of possibly making a tad easier?

For example, with the Sonic games for the genesis there are dissassemblies that split the game into separate files and folders to allow things to be edited with ease. Doing so separates the assembly coding of the game and the individual assets of the game such as graphics, mappings, music. Each can be edited separately and then a batch file can be run to assemble the entire game.

There is also a few programs that make it easier to edit objects like the enemies, main characters and level objects as well as another that can be used to edit the level.

I did notice that there is a program (SMILE), which already handles a decent amount of this. But still having to resort to hex editors and the such to add new objects or enemies.

So I propose this question, does this sound like something this community thinks they could accomplish with Super Metroid? I would love to see this really take off and become something that of Sonic hacking community where completely custom or even original hacks can be made with relative ease.

(I've linked to programs in this post.)

I look forward to seeing how this community turns out, and my suggestions for improvements are only in hopes that this community can progress further than it already has.

*Edited to add links

begrimed

Welcome also Hitaxas! I'd imagine that's the goal for this place too. Super Metroid doesn't have nearly as large of a hack following as Sonic and Mario World, so it's probably still many years yet until we have an editor that can handle everything within one program. Most of the extremely skilled hackers we have are busy with their own projects, so new documentation is generally very sporadic and specific to something like an enemy or function. A variant SMILE build is being worked on that will alleviate a lot of the common hang-ups new hackers encounter with this game, but there's no ETA on that. There's also SMILE JX.

I'm sure we can accomplish it, but at the rate we've been progressing, we've probably got another 6 or 7 years before EVERYTHING is fully understood, optimized and easily editable. Longer if any of our ultra awesome ASM vets decide to take off. =P

Quietus

Quote from: Lady_K on January 19, 2014, 12:15:03 AMI'm new to hacking Super Metroid but have been doing a little research on my own and have already figured some things out. I also have been looking through the SMILE guide and a few FAQ posts.
You have no idea how refreshing it is to hear this. :cheers:

Welcome, both of you. :^_^:

Vismund Cygnus

I had thought exactly the same thing Quietus. It's amazing to see people actually doing their research without having to first be advised.
Anyway, welcome aboard guys. I'm sure we'll see you around the community.  :^_^: