News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid: Super Prime Mission

Started by Metroidz, October 07, 2012, 09:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Metroidz

Greetings, before you I present my newest WIP, Metroid: Super Prime Mission, a complete, accurate 2D Render of Metroid Prime in Super Metroid using SM, MZM, and Custom GFX with plenty of new ASM and features, this will be as close to accurate as it can possibly be with the amount of rooms available in each area, the Items translate as follows:
Power Suit, Varia, Phazon Suit, Plasma/Ice/Wave/Power/Charge beam, Morph Ball all stay as is.
Gravity Suit = Space Jump
Space Jump =Hi Jump Boots
All beam combos= Beam+Charge (May change before release, depends on what I can come up with)
Boost Ball = Spring Ball(Altered into Boost Ball)
The Scan/Thermal Visor are noninclusive (For obvious reasons) but the X-Ray still stands as is, only thing currently un-substituted is the Spider Ball which I will include if I find a working Patch/ASM/Game Guru who knows the ASM points to make it work, So far the project is about 10% done (98 Percent of the Patches are in and final, most of the largest rooms are established)
I'll have some pics up pretty soon (Probably sometime tomorrow) but the Landing Site, Arboretum, Frigate Crash Site, Orpheon, and most of the Impact Crater is done.

Cloud20

Seems cool, can't wait to see pics.

Quietus

I can't wait to see Ridley's shadowy flyover scene. :^_^:

Kasel

I demand the little cutscenes as well for each new area. =P

ianfrombristol

Sounds good to me.  BTW I'm sure I've read on here that there is a ready-made spiderball patch.  Oh and if you need a lesser-ability gamer for beta testing I'm your man :)

passarbye

this sounds great, hopefully it'll be another good hack to look forward to and play!

Metroidz

Thanks for all the support guys, here's a quick preview of Phazon and the Frigate Crash Site
http://i47.tinypic.com/2qjw3d4.png
http://i46.tinypic.com/biozd5.png
http://i50.tinypic.com/jkyptj.png
Feel free to leave feedback and more comments, I'll probably show the Arboretum next so you guys can see the Chozo Ruins palette and some preview of the Red Phazon in the Impact Crater.

Yuki

While they are alright in concept, your palettes are boring and bland, and your tiling work is standard at best. I recommend playing hacks like the Phazon hack, and Ice metal, to see more creative tiling, and learn from them. I hope you can come back to us with some better pics, though these are an alright start.

Metroidz

Well I haven't much touched the Crateria Pallet and the Frigate I'm just trying to make look kinda crappy just because it's a destroyed space-craft. xD I can assure you that will all change before the release, here's the Chozo Ruin's Arboretum: http://i50.tinypic.com/2imdsm.png May need a few more touch-ups but it's a slight preview of what the game's TRUE graphic capabilities will be. I'll probably start downloading ShyGuyExpress's playthroughs of those since I don't have much time to play the game myself cause it's still taken me 7 years to get half-way through Prime... but yeah using basic graphics sets there still.

HUGE EDIT!!!: Spiderball is now working!!! After some scavenging the patch is fully functional! Although alike the Gravity Suit, we have limited items allowed so when you get the Boost Ball all Spiderball track activates, no buttons to hold, just approach the track in Morph Ball form and press in the direction you want to go!

Quietus

Quote from: Metroidz on October 08, 2012, 08:24:42 PMShyGuyExpress
I believe that's our very own MetroidMst. :^_^:

Also, I'm not sure whether you're aware or not, but if you use spoiler and img tags, like so:
[spoiler][img]http://i50.tinypic.com/2imdsm.png[/img][/spoiler]
...you can put your pictures straight into your posts, rather than people having to click links.

The above example then looks like this:
[spoiler=The pic...][/spoiler]

Yuki

Anothet good place to study creative room design would be looking through archives of room of the week. so you can see some great examples of other peoples best works.

Metroidz

I see, I know he won like Worst Hack or something and it's his greatest accomplishment even though worst would have to be not edited at all....xD good info, I figured there was a Spoiler tag here. some sites are real stupid with it though so I didn't wanna go all n00b with the broken BBCode, and with that in mind: [spoiler][/spoiler] New Tallon Overworld Graphic Set and Palette.
Nothing a Google search won't find! Thanks for the awesome suggestion!

Yuki

It's already looking better! Keep trying at it! I recommend completely getting rid of that BG though, and doing a fairly close rock wall, as the Tallon IV landing site wasn't actually all that large.

Metroidz

Is there a way to remove the Scrolling Sky? Never been able to get rid of that annoying crap. -_-'

Metroidz

Metroidz

New pics guys:
[spoiler] Why's the water in here red?[/spoiler]
[spoiler] That's Why[/spoiler]
Frigate Orpheon Crash graphics are up with the new palette (MZM Ruined Tourian. :D)

Mon732

If memory serves me right I think four of the colours on pallete line 3 are for FX1 (water, lava, spores ect). Check to see if there is any red in the palette of the tileset.

Black Falcon

Well, now we got two Metroid Prime 2D projects ongoing (but only one actually makes progress... :<_<:)
Even though the screens are interesting in some way, they really really need more work.
It's really a huge task, probably too huge to accomplish (hardest parts are converting the 3D map into 2D and boss/enemy coding)
person701 and I were talking about Chozo ruins being a pain in the butt to map due to some rooms overlapping others,  also some of the bosses are just too huge to fit into the screen, many of them would be as tall as Kraid, but this'd take up tons of space in the ROM and the coding you'd have to do is just insane.
It wouldn't actually feel like MP 2D with only Super Metroid bosses being recycled imo.
Sorry if I erased your enthusiasm, but that's just me...

Good luck nevertheless!

Charmander106

Yeah, 3D maps to 2D maps conversion is really difficult. But my idea, just make your own maps. Just make it feel like a Metroid Prime with the graphics and clever level design. But that's just me.

Though this hack needs more work. The current screenshots don't do anything for me... But keep going with Metroidz and good luck with the hack. :)

Quietus

I guess there may not even be a need to reproduce the map from Prime.  If enough landmarks within each area are recognisable, I think it'd be enough to pull off the idea.

Metroidz

Generally that's what I figured, mainly work from the inside out so to speak, build the room in a 2D format then map the space of the room. As for the bosses that will be a last minute (Because I want this whole game to be working properly before spending 3 hours making a new boss to have some horrible glitch later on and lose everything)

On a side note does anybody know if the Turrets from Tourian are Enemies or PLM's or are they hardcoded completely? Would be an easy sub for Auto Defense Turrets if I could get them to work. :P

Quietus

You know, you could just open a ROM, and look at them to see how they're done? :razz:

They're just an enemy with speed set to zero.  Changing their speed makes them spawn in random places instead of set positions.

Quote58

are you sure about that quietus? I've checked and I don't see the turret as an enemy separate from mother brain and such.
What you describe sounds more like rinkas, and I assume he meant the turrets that appear in mother brains room.

Metroidz

That was exactly my point, I ask because of the reason Shadow stated; it isn't in the the Enemies List/As an enemy period.