News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid...MMO?

Started by Sixxon, March 26, 2012, 07:31:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixxon

I know what you're thinking already.

"Lulz n00b idea"

...Let's watch you say that by the end.

INTRO CUTSCENE:
-----
The Last Metroid has been exterminated. The Galaxy, is at peace.

Samus: As I flew my ship off from the floating hunk of space rocks that was Zebes, I left. Knowing that my work was done, I thank the baby for my life.

Mother Brain. Ridley. Kraid. The space pirates. All dead.

I docked into the Galactic Federation station for rehabilitation treatment. I exited my ship. To my horror, a space pirate pod was inside the wall already!

I gunned down the Space Pirates and killed most. However, a Aerotrooper carrying a large weapon shot me.

On the floor, I realized something. There was a gunship in the distance. It was MY gunship. I looked to where I docked. My gunship was still there. There were two gunships. And two of me, as far as I was concerned.

I scanned the gun that the pirate shot me with. But he landed another hit.

Everything went black.

I was back on Planet Zebes. I was on my ship, exactly as it was when I landed here escaping Ceres Station.

...My weapons were gone, but how?

I went back into my suit data and found the scan log for the gun that the pirate had.

It told me everything I needed to know.

The "Time Breaker", as it was called, is a gun that disrupts time. When I was battling those pirates, it not only created another copy of me five minutes before I landed, it sent me back in time to where I first landed on Zebes.

And sent with me, the first Samus, was a item that allowed me to go back.

And considering other Samus' were coming very soon....

I knew. I was going to have to fight copies of myself to survive.

My third adventure on Zebes has begun.

---

Upon first playing, you start on Samus' ship.

This game is supposed to be exactly like Super Metroid. EXACTLY THE SAME. Except, with MMO stuff added, like parties and Federations. But if they're not in your team, then they're dead. Non-Stop PVP-PVE action throughout the same areas of Super Metroid.

But yes. The maps. EXACTLY THE SAME. The items. EXACTLY THE SAME. Just, remember, MMO.

No let me explain instances.

Instances are what happens in a MMO like WoW where you're fighting a boss, say, and of course, you don't want a million other players fighting the same boss fighting with you, so the game drops you in your seperate little world to fight the boss until you exit that room (In fact, in WoW, the entire dungeons are instances) So. It'll work the same way.

If you're in a party when you enter a instance, then they can go in the instance with you and fight the boss together! (Imagine Phantoon with 3 more people)

Items and expansions are in all the same places they were before.

Boss Battles:

Walking Statue - Room is bigger if you have more Party Members

Spore Spawn - Room is bigger if you have more party members

Kraid - Original, nothing added

Crocomire - Original, nothing added

Phantoon - The Room is bigger if you have more party members

Botwoon - He fires spores at the team leader only

Draygon - Same as normal, if you have a party he only grabs the team leader

Super Walking Statue - Same as Walking Statue

Ridley - Room is bigger if you have a bigger party

Mother Brain - The instance is different, even if you're in a party, you're alone for the fight

Planet Zebes! - Upon getting out of Tourian and into the map with your ship, if you have a party, it is disbanded. You're still in the same instance. You and your former party members have to fight until there is one left so you can enter your ship and escape.

Aftermath - It doesn't end there. There would be a entire new region. Samus would again land on the GF (galactic federation) Frigate where she got hit with the time breaker spoken of in the game's prolouge. You would be able to explore the ship, where you realize it was raided by pirates. Dying at all in this region sends you back to planet Zebes, itemless.

Final Boss: New Prime - Samus discovers the Pirates had preserved a leviathan from Planet Phazze (See MP3: Corruption) and a cloned Metroid was chosen as the Guardian. The Metroid was reborn as a new Metroid Prime, and you have to finish off Prime once and for all...

PvP:

Any area you're allowed to shoot is a PVP Zone. If you die by getting killed BY ANOTHER PLAYER and not a enemy, you respawn at the last save station you were at. You lose a item when killed by a player, however, your killer does not get the item you lost.

Say you're gunned down in Norfair and die. You lost your Super Missiles! Well, guess what you'll be doing, friend! You'll be going waaaay back to Brinstar to kill the Spore Spawn again so you can get it back! If you need Super Missiles along the way to open doors, guess what! You'll be having to track down another Samus to help you out and/or threaten to kill them if they don't. You're in a world where you either fight or survive. That's inspiring the open ended way of SM.

Multiplayer:

It works like Minecraft.

No, not like placing blocks Minecraft, Minecraft in the way is that you play on Player-Made servers. It wouldn't make sense to have super-servers that millions of players play on, because that makes the game too crowded and they're wouldn't be space for anything. You start up a server with like 20 or so people and it makes it like 19 SA-X's are following you.

Watching you.

ALWAYS.

Items:

It's simple.

If you collect a expansion, you can't re-collect it unless you lose the weapon that the expansion was for. If that happens, then it resets for you.

Someone who DOESN'T have the same expansion you have, they can get the same one even though you can't.

You should get what I mean.

Controls:
(Configurable)
Arrows: Move
A: a
B: w
X: s
Y: d
Start: Enter
Select: Shift
L: Delete
R: Page Down
Chat: t

And now that I think of it, that's it.

Here you go. My idea for a Super Metroid MMO.

tl;dr version
[SPOILER]Go read it, lazy arse.[/SPOILER]

ProjectXVIII

Quote from: Sixxon on March 26, 2012, 07:31:58 AM
No, not like placing blocks Minecraft, Minecraft in the way is that you play on Player-Made servers. It wouldn't make sense to have super-servers that millions of players play on, because that makes the game too crowded and they're wouldn't be space for anything. You start up a server with like 20 or so people and it makes it like 19 SA-X's are following you.

Uh, doesn't this kind of make it...not an MMO? By definition, an MMO has super-servers that millions of people play on. If you only had like 20 people, it would be no more of an MMO than a game like Team Fortress 2 or Call of Duty.

Also, it doesn't sound like it would work at all, really. I think a better way of doing a Metroid MMO would be to have two factions, Space Pirates and Galactic Federation. Both factions (or possibly just Galactic Federation, with Space Pirates having their own equivalent thing) would be able to become bounty hunters, but with some sort of trade-off, like a lower level cap or not being able to enter some areas or something. From there, I'd just make it like a normal MMO, but with Metroid shit, of course. Enemies, music, etc.

Yuki

Actually, I really like this idea, great job Sixxon! I would change the final boss to something else though. Doesn't fit with cannon or really make much sense

squishy_ichigo

Quote from: poke2mon3 on March 26, 2012, 09:37:17 AM
Doesn't fit with cannon or really make much sense

My thoughts exactly. GF vs SP is a much better idea for a MMO.

passarbye

upon first playing, you start on Samus' ship.

This game is supposed to be exactly like Super Metroid. EXACTLY THE SAME. Except, with MMO stuff added, like parties and Federations. But if they're not in your team, then they're dead. Non-Stop PVP-PVE action throughout the same areas of Super Metroid.

But yes. The maps. EXACTLY THE SAME. The items. EXACTLY THE SAME. Just, remember, MMO.
why not just play super metroid with a friend? you know, take turns?

Walking Statue
Super Walking Statue
those are called gray torizo and gold torizo respectively.
how did you not know that?

any area you're allowed to shoot is a PVP Zone.
so you mean everywhere right?  :lol:

Say you're gunned down in Norfair and die. You lost your Super Missiles! Well, guess what you'll be doing, friend! You'll be going waaaay back to Brinstar to kill the Spore Spawn again so you can get it back! If you need Super Missiles along the way to open doors, guess what! You'll be having to track down another Samus to help you out and/or threaten to kill them if they don't. You're in a world where you either fight or survive. That's inspiring the open ended way of SM.
doesn't seem like a fair multi-player game then huh?

Multiplayer:

It works like Minecraft.

Watching you.

ALWAYS.
why they watchin' me?

anyway, i'll agree with everyone else ITT. makes more sense to have two factions and the universe to explore, rather than just zebes and a new small area. :/

Lunaria

Lulz n00b idea!

No but honestly, the idea would not be one of a good game. First of all, super metroid is designed around a single player experience. That pretty much means that all level design will be terrible when facing several players trying to navigate the same room. Furthermore, the major part of the feel in super metroid is the feeling of being alone in a huge hostile environment, that does not really go well when you run co-op, no?

It would be a much better idea to go with an recreation of super metroid instead, making the areas larger and more optimized for multiplayer playing. Not to mention update the design and artwork to fit more with the feel of two warring factions. But let's also be honest here, it's a shitty idea in general to put in WoW concepts in super metroid. WoW may be big, bit it's not the best MMO, not by a long shot. (Not to mention this idea is, like someone else pointed out, not even an MMO. <_<; )

Sixxon

Quote from: ProjectXVIII on March 26, 2012, 07:53:17 AM

Uh, doesn't this kind of make it...not an MMO? By definition, an MMO has super-servers that millions of people play on. If you only had like 20 people, it would be no more of an MMO than a game like Team Fortress 2 or Call of Duty.

Also, it doesn't sound like it would work at all, really. I think a better way of doing a Metroid MMO would be to have two factions, Space Pirates and Galactic Federation. Both factions (or possibly just Galactic Federation, with Space Pirates having their own equivalent thing) would be able to become bounty hunters, but with some sort of trade-off, like a lower level cap or not being able to enter some areas or something. From there, I'd just make it like a normal MMO, but with Metroid shit, of course. Enemies, music, etc.

Well, then it's not a MMO. I just couldn't come up with a better name for it.

Quote from: poke2mon3 on March 26, 2012, 09:37:17 AM
Actually, I really like this idea, great job Sixxon! I would change the final boss to something else though. Doesn't fit with cannon or really make much sense

Wasn't hoping for it to fit with canon. The Final boss was a wild card, so it could be changed.

Quote from: passarbye on March 26, 2012, 11:28:16 AM
upon first playing, you start on Samus' ship.

why not just play super metroid with a friend? you know, take turns?

Walking Statue
Super Walking Statue
those are called gray torizo and gold torizo respectively.
how did you not know that?

any area you're allowed to shoot is a PVP Zone.
so you mean everywhere right?  :lol:

doesn't seem like a fair multi-player game then huh?

Multiplayer:

It works like Minecraft.

Watching you.

ALWAYS.
why they watchin' me?

anyway, i'll agree with everyone else ITT. makes more sense to have two factions and the universe to explore, rather than just zebes and a new small area. :/

I really can't do this in this small area for typing.

The reason why there'd be no "SUPER SERVERS" is because, like you all said, THE MAPS ARE NOT BIG ENOUGH. Not by a long shot. That's why I said the Boss rooms would be bigger depending on how many party members you had.

I'll be honest. Super Metroid was hard. This is shooting for harder. I want you, if you played this, to go in a room and if you see another player yell "OHSHEET" at the top of your lungs because you know there's a fight that you can't afford to lose. The environment (while you're not alone anymore) is probably MORE hostile than the original SM because of the constant danger of getting killed by other players. You're supposed to forge alliances with other players and try to have each other's back. You're supposed to feel that you're always hunting, and always being hunted.

Say, you caught someone in the wrecked ship that you wanted to kill but got away. You can, if you want, chase them down or even hunt them down to the other side of freakin' Zebes if you wanted to. A player hunting another player. It'd be more fulfilling when you gun them down in the room with the Hi-Jump and kill them.

You would learn the aspect of a player, know what they look like and even, if you become enough of a rival, strive to get all the weapons and kill them yourself.

But the one thing that you really need to get is: Surviving.

Using skills you learned from a near-20 year-old game in a multiplayer fightfest of epic proportions.

So i've said what I needed to say. Thanks for the criticism.

Zhs2

Quote from: SixxonI'll be honest. Super Metroid was hard.
Pfffffffffffffffffffffffffft ahahahahahahaahhaahhaahhahhhaahahahahahahahaaaaaaa
aaaaahahhahahahahhaahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha
ahahahhhahahahahahhhahahahahahahahahahahhahhhaahahahahahahahahah...

Alright, I think I'm don-- pffffftahahahhahaahhahahahahahahahahahaha

Quote from: SixxonI really can't do this in this small area for typing.
You can click Preview to see how your post is currently developing, and in browsers like Firefox these days you can expand the width of the box.

Quote from: SixxonWell, then it's not a MMO. I just couldn't come up with a better name for it.
It's basically just "Multiplayer." Yeah, it's boring, but eh.

Since this is mainly only small player servers, some suggestions to your ideas:
- Randomly generated worlds. Anybody with half a brain on how Super Metroid works would dominate noobs (and the game) rather heavily. An algorithm for this would be highly complicated or rely on more destroyable blocks than anything (or perhaps pre-templated rooms, or both in some cases.)
- While we're on the subject of randomly generated, a much larger (or smaller) game world overall, generated or fitted to play for most any gamemode - PvP, PvE, straight up deathmatch, you name it. The old maps would still be applicable, but randomly generated worlds would be offered as another choice.
- Lighting and vision ranges. Remember how Samus could only see as far as the screen in Super Metroid, but the room was larger than that? We have huge monitors these days, and a better solution is to limit the player's vision range manually and show everything else that can be lit or has already been seen. Places like the Wrecked Ship and deeper parts of Brinstar and Maridia could be stupidly dark, as well as Norfair where lava isn't present. Players and items not visible on the current screen would not show up unless the player physically saw them.
- No door transitions. Moving between rooms causes the room you're not in to be darkened in your vision range (and you still retain the look of its general layout on your screen.) Attempting to hide in a door would just cause the door to not close and make you a sitting duck.

Quote from: SixxonThe "Time Breaker", as it was called, is a gun that disrupts time.
There is a canonical version of this, you know.

Quote from: Sixxonthe baby
You take one more word of inspiration from Other M and I will hurt you so hard...

Corruptor

QuoteI'll be honest. Super Metroid was hard.
*snort* ....PFFFHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! DUDE, you must be PULLING on my leg! You tell good jokes. That game was easy, and I don't mean to say it wasn't hard for other people, and I'm sorry if I've offended anyone in anyway. I do have a half brain though, so I would smash a genius who's never played the game before and thinks he knows what to do. Those are some pretty bad ideas for movement you got there. As it would leave no easy way to wall jump until you got good at it, which would be a pain compared to using a controller, which I am already used to using. Are you actually in the process of making this? If so, I would love to play it when it's out, just don't make it have a DOOM interface or something like that, cause' I want to see something new. Lulz noob idea? Heck no, I've been hoping someone would just make super metroid 2 player using Netplay on Zsnes, but this is far better of and idea! Of course, I have no idea for coding, otherwise I might've tried and failed at doing things like this long ago. Keep up the good work if you are working on it, and give us a little preview of your work on it, please.  :^_^: