News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid Advance

Started by FlamingCobra, February 15, 2012, 05:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlamingCobra

Double posting because I have to. Interdpth, why is it that a whole lot of rooms in Norfair with lava don't have lava clipdata?
I mean,
i.) the lava shows up as part of the foreground
ii.) when I mouse over the tile, clipdata is "0 - no block"
iii.) the lava is clearly lava in game, as it both damages me and inhibits my movement.

And yet, you have "water" "weak lava" "strong lava" under the clipdata list, so I don't understand...

Why? just, why?

passarbye

Quote from: FlamingCobra on February 20, 2012, 06:30:34 PM
Inter, I'd really appreciate the import/export room feature because that way anyone who is interested can help make rooms and they can all be imported into the "master ROM" easily.

i actually support this idea. that way people (like me) could just look up some tutorials on DH and help finish this amazing project.  :grin:

FlamingCobra

Hey inter, how easy will it be to port enemies from fusion into ZM?

bcuz imma need kihunters

interdpth

Quote from: FlamingCobra on February 22, 2012, 07:07:30 PM
Double posting because I have to. Interdpth, why is it that a whole lot of rooms in Norfair with lava don't have lava clipdata?
I mean,
i.) the lava shows up as part of the foreground
ii.) when I mouse over the tile, clipdata is "0 - no block"
iii.) the lava is clearly lava in game, as it both damages me and inhibits my movement.

And yet, you have "water" "weak lava" "strong lava" under the clipdata list, so I don't understand...

Why? just, why?

1. Lava is foreground
2. I have no clue I just looked at that
3. See 2

I don't know

passarbye

Quote from: FlamingCobra on February 24, 2012, 06:19:19 PM
Hey inter, how easy will it be to port enemies from fusion into ZM?

bcuz imma need kihunters
you could always replace them with something else?
(maybe the big slug things before ridley)

it wouldn't be the same though, i know.
those kihunters are in many more areas than just brinstar..

FlamingCobra

Quote(maybe the big slug things before ridley)
the who say what now?

Yuki

I think he means the imago larva slugs (no idea what those have to do with kihunters though)

passarbye

Quote from: poke2mon3 on February 25, 2012, 09:39:31 AM
I think he means the imago larva slugs (no idea what those have to do with kihunters though)

errr.. yea. those things.  :lol:

they look like the kihunter larva. only MUCH bigger.

interdpth

I'm recoding some bits of DH for you as I fix what bugs I can see

Malpercio

Thought: the multi-window thing in DH is awesome.
Also they may look similar, but then there's obviously massive size differential and vulnerability differences and they're just not that related.

passarbye

Quote from: Malpercio on February 25, 2012, 02:25:11 PM
Also they may look similar, but then there's obviously massive size differential and vulnerability differences and they're just not that related.
this is true, but i can't really think of any enemy that resembles the kihunters in MZM.
and it would be really cool to have the ones from fusion, but it would also be really hard to import them from MF.
unless interdepth has thought of this before and has something up his sleeve?

FlamingCobra

inter, what happened here?

The top part of the room is ok. But I resized it and when you go waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy down, that happens.

Quote from: passarbye on February 25, 2012, 04:11:43 PM
this is true, but i can't really think of any enemy that resembles the kihunters in MZM.
and it would be really cool to have the ones from fusion, but it would also be really hard to import them from MF.

Why? It's the same engine.

interdpth

Quote from: FlamingCobra on February 25, 2012, 04:20:37 PM

The top part of the room is ok. But I resized it and when you go waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy down, that happens.

Try again, I don't know.

And it'd be hard because of offset.

snarfblam

That doesn't mean you can yank a chunk of contiguous bytes from one ROM, put it in another, and suddenly have a new enemy available. An enemy would typically depend on resources (tiles, palettes, sounds) and data scattered throughout the ROM, and code that may or may not be present in both games, and is almost certainly in different locations if it is present in both. There may be functional differences the two games' code that creates incompatibilities with the enemy in question. Et cetera.

Edit: Anyone else notice that this is the "Super Metroid Advance" thread and not the DH thread?

interdpth

Quote from: snarfblam on February 25, 2012, 04:53:21 PM

Edit: Anyone else notice that this is the "Super Metroid Advance" thread and not the DH thread?
This topic is receiving more traffic than that one. So don't care

FlamingCobra

Quote from: interdpth on February 25, 2012, 04:47:04 PM

Try again, I don't know.

It's like, I can go down and down and down..... and then all of a sudden, everything messes up (tiles). but clipdata is ok. but it appears normal in the editor.

passarbye

could you try editing another room like that?
it may just be that one room.

FlamingCobra

Hey inter, how is that tileset importer coming along, if you're working on it at all?

I'm not trying to be pushy. The last thing I want you to do is rush. Quality is of the utmost importance. Take your time. I'd just like to know what you're working on and how it's going.

As for me, I (temporarily) gave up on that room I was talking about and am now working on the charge beam room.

interdpth

Quote from: FlamingCobra on February 25, 2012, 07:09:17 PM
Quote from: interdpth on February 25, 2012, 04:47:04 PM

Try again, I don't know.

It's like, I can go down and down and down..... and then all of a sudden, everything messes up (tiles). but clipdata is ok. but it appears normal in the editor.
How big is that room?

FlamingCobra

Well, it WAS 54x54. (i deleted that ROM and went back to my last backup. I continuously make backups.)

interdpth

The game accepts 0x2000 bytes max per layer
Layers that aren't clipdata take 2 bytes per tiles
giving you
0x1000 or 4096 in decimal
your 54x54 room is 2916 tiles
multiply that by 2 you get 5832

So your layer was well over the limit, this explains why the clip data works. I'll put in a limiter in DH

Max room size you can do is around 45x45

Do you use the undo function?   

FlamingCobra

I did not know there was an undo function in DH. Ctrl-Z certainly doesn't do it. There is no edit tab, so I can't Edit-->Undo.

But now that I know one exists I would greatly appreciate it if you told me how to use it.

AND FURTHERMORE.................
how am I supposed to do that room with the speed-boosting Ostrich if I can't make a 54x54?

Oh, is that 45x45 tiles or 45x45 in hex?

interdpth

Press ctrl then z

I'ma going to take it out of the next release so I can replace it later on.

And that is 45 in decimal. 0x2D in hex

FlamingCobra

Ctrl-Z has never worked for me in DH.

So the biggest I can make my room is 2D width by 2D height?

cuz see, what I had in my room options was

Height: 54
Width: 54

and that is in hex.

That doesn't change the fact that you were right about the room being gread yonder too big.

But it would be nice if I could have a multiplication table-like.... table...... set up with standard room increments (in hex)

so across teh top you'd go

13, 1A, 27, etc.

and down the bottom you'd go

1A

and so on and so forth.
and you'd put red X's in boxes where the combination won't work.

And I say standard increments so the blocks on the map will be right.

interdpth

wait >_>

Gimme a sec

I messed up I meant 45 in dec

Do

X times Y * 2 if it's under 0x2000 you're good.

There's also ctrl + c and ctrl + p >_>

But no one uses them