News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Nominations for Top Hacks 2011

Started by Zhs2, December 18, 2011, 06:52:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zhs2

Yeah, I know, the stuff from last year didn't exactly get posted. I apologize, Metconst. I was going to redraw all of the trophies since Bloodsonic wasn't exactly drawing them anymore, but I hit a rut and forgot all about it after the other people that volunteered to write didn't end up doing anything for Top Hacks last year. This year, MetroidMst kindly persuaded me to do it again. So here we are! The rules are (mostly!) the same as last year:

[spoiler=Rules 'n' stuff]
We'll be accepting several nominations for best hacks based on the community's opinions for a few special categories, as well as the best hack overall. The categories are catered to honourable mention of each of the brilliant aspects of Metroid Hacking, and are as follows:

• Best Aesthetics - The one hack that is so beautiful to look at it makes you cry
  • Most Creative Gameplay - The one hack that makes use of the most creative concept ever implemented to enhance gameplay in some form
  • Best Quick Play - The one hack that is satisfying and short at the same time
  • Best Challenge - The one hack that plays difficult time and time again, and yet keeps you coming back for more
  • Best Exploration - The one hack that immerses you completely into the environment with no hope of escape
  • Worst Hacks (as needed!) - The hacks that just really stank and didn't do much else
  • Best Overall - The one hack that outshines all of the others... which will it be?

We ask that you make only one post in this topic listing which hacks you think are the best. Additionally, you may nominate a hack for one of the specialty categories to be considered as well. Nominees can come from any of the Metroid game hack genres, be it Metroid, Super, or fangame alike! We're not picky. :^_^: We ask that you please try and play all of the nominated hacks at least a little bit so your vote is backed by experience and not just one of the few you've played. This goes mainly without saying, but it's a good point to make!

The nomination period lasts until mid-December, where afterward a vote will be held. The winners will then put together the official list to be hosted on Metroid Construction's main site along with a short article for each one and links to the hacks in question. The winners of the Top Hacks of the Year contest will also receive a small icon on their badge list on the forums as well as a medium-sized one in their collection for use elsewhere.

Please don't bring under consideration WIP hacks for the above categories, or said nominations will just be ignored. We will, however, put it under consideration for announcing in the conclusion of this year's Top Hacks endeavor! Demo release nominations do count, however, because the author has released a product (no matter how small.)

One more thing: please don't double post or discuss in this topic! Use Talk of the Day instead to discuss votes and the like, or make a new topic in Off-Topic for discussing this topic. We don't care much on that point.
[/spoiler]

The trophies will get done this year! Here's a (probably incomplete) listing of the hacks released so far this year. If there's one we missed that you feel deserves praise, let us know with a good nomination!

Super Metroid
Hyperion
Phazon 0.3
Rainbow City Original Alpha Test
Rise (Contest Version)
So Little Time
Super Metroid: Hard Mode(Other M)
Super Metroid Life
Super Zero Mission

Quietus

I'm not including Rainbow City, as it was never finished (that I'm aware of).

Best Aesthetics - Zero Mission.
Most Creative Gameplay - Zero Mission.
Best Quick Play - Life.
Best Challenge - Zero Mission (Especially with Hard Mode applied)
Best Exploration - Zero Mission.
Worst Hacks - None.
Best Overall - Zero Mission.  I actually enjoyed Life more than Zero Mission, but I don't honestly believe that anbody can doubt the achievement that is Zero Mission.

Zhs2

Demos do count, though. They're still releases. I should add that to the rules.

Qactis

Best Aesthetics - Phazon
Most Creative Gameplay - Zero Mission.
Best Quick Play - Life.
Best Challenge - Zero Mission (Especially with Hard Mode applied)
Best Exploration - Phazon
Worst Hacks - So Little Time
Best Overall - Phazon

Edited

MetroidMst

My vote goes as follows.

• Best Aesthetics: Phazon Hack.
  • Most Creative Gameplay: Hyperion.
  • Best Quick Play: Hyperion.
  • Best Challenge: So Little Time.
  • Best Exploration: Phazon Hack.
  • Worst Hacks: So Little Time.
  • Best Overall: Phazon Hack.

Lunaria

I'd honestly still like the results from last year to be posted, even if a write up is missing. :/

I'll edit in my nominations here later...

JAM

Best Aesthetics -- Phason 0.3

Most Creative Gameplay -- Grnad Prix 3.
It was very interesting to find a way of how to beat it =)

Best Quick Play -- So Little Time

Best Challenge -- Nightmare v1.13.
It was made 12.01.2011 Provelink, so it should be valid to nominate.
If I can nominate 2 hacks, then Nightmare 1.13 and Hard Mode (Other M)

Best Exploration -- Super Metroid Life

Best Overall -- Super Zero Mission

Zhs2

Quote from: JAMNightmare v1.13
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Thanks!

Also, bumping this topic because the One Week Hacks and Phazon 0.3 do count for nomination as well. Feel free to revise your nominations, and quickly, Metconst! You have until the 7th!

Katelyn

Best Aesthetics - Phazon

Most Creative Gameplay - Phazon

Best Quick Play - Phazon

Best Challenge - Phazon

Best Exploration - Phazon OHMAGHDOFDSPHAZON

Worst Hacks (as needed!) - Phazon

Best Overall - Phazon

Quote58

Best Aesthetics - Phazon 0.3
Most Creative Gameplay - Super zero mission
Best Quick Play - Hyperion
Best Challenge - Super zero mission (hard mode)
Best Exploration - Phazon 0.3
Worst Hacks - none
Best Overall - Super zero mission.

Crashtour99

Best Aesthetics - Phazon 0.3
Most Creative Gameplay - So Little Time
Best Quick Play - Rise
Best Challenge - Super Zero Mission
Best Exploration - Super Zero Mission
Worst Hacks (as needed!) - So Little Time (most epic Metroid troll hack ever)
Best Overall - Phazon 0.3