News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

General Projects Screenshots/Vids Thread

Started by Zhs2, May 15, 2009, 10:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baconface

[spoiler=another room][/spoiler]
Some kind of cave/volcano area.

Yes, it's a purple volcano.

Lunaria

I must say, I'm very excited in your hack from a pure graphical standpoint bacon, it's looking really good!

Quietus

Agreed.  That's quite the snazzy room, baconface.  Though I don't see any items for us hunters... :oh:

passarbye

I must say, the way you altered the maridia tiles to look like an actual cave is cool.
i'm looking forward to whatever you've got cooking in the pot. :)

Smiley

Quietus

Pretty nifty.  I can see some hilarious TAS abuse being possible.  Now you just need to change the sprite, so that it has a little aerial. :^_^:

Smiley

Some example puzzles for the remote bombs. Also, power bombs can now be detonated remotely.
[spoiler]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbYaV-ewzYA[/spoiler]
So far I haven't found any bugs, but I still have to do some more testing.

Law

I went and created a new opening for my TAS videos, and did it for Grime's hack from T.H.E. contest.

Well, it was more like me recording and loading state with a bit of slowdown, but that does count it towards being a TAS, right?

TAS Super Metroid: B2-TW in 00:03:42 by Chaotic Law

Quietus

Not so moved with the idea of it being a speedrun, as it seemed like there could have been a lot more time saved, particularly with bomb-jump exploits.  It seems like almost everybody found the 'boss' exploit. :^_^:

MetroidMst

You almost had to find that exploit to survive in the first patch. Second patch, their health was much more reasonable.

The Monster of Surrealton

Rooms from my first hack, Super Metroid in Surrealton.

[spoiler=Starting area]

You enter through the top left door, whose rooms have been simplified.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Crateria]

You get to the Bomb room through a pipe next to the old Tourain door, ascend with the Spring Ball (you start with the Morph Ball, and pick up the Spring Ball in blue Brinstar instead of Morph.) There's also a little treasure room with one of each tank.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Destroyed Mother Brain room]

The item at the bottom right would be the Gravity Suit. I wanted the player to work harder to get the Varia/Gravity, and in this case, you need 12 Supers, and 3 Power Bombs to get it, then you get 1 tank for each afterwards.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=An example of what Tourian will be like]

Lots of spikes.

[/spoiler]

MetroidMst

First thing, you need variety in those rooms. You have rooms built out of one tile completely, and that is just not visually appealing. It doesn't affect the gameplay, but a player will look at that and be turned off immediately. I suggest working on these rooms using much more of your tilesets, and to keep working on them until they become much better looking. You don't have to make something that the player is going to be extremely impressed at, but it can't be boring either.

Quietus

I'm curious as to how much you've tested your requirements.  It looks like a player would only need seven Super Missiles, as they could destroy the shot blocks, and grab the expansion for the other five (yellow line on pic).  It also looks like you just might be able to get away with only one Power Bomb if it were laid somewhere on the blue line.  It may be worth you testing it. :^_^:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Also, to state the obvious, I presume you're not using respawning blocks. :oh:

Lunaria

I can tell for a fact that you have not done any testing yourself considering how the scrolls are set up.  :colonrightv:

Quietus

Assuming that MoS has used the Yellow Scrolls patch, would it still kick in, even though they're attached to blue scrolls?  It seems like they'd be resisting scrolling when you're in the top, but would then change when you dropped, so even if the Yellow Scrolls were being used, Samus would be ahead of the 'camera', and you'd have to wiggle for it to catch up.

Lunaria

FullOfFail

What everyone else said. What I'd recommend to a beginner is to study the tilesets of the original, and how they're all used. Possibly open up two sessions of smile. One of your hack, the other of a clean rom. Once you have the general idea of how everything is used, you can start branching out and being creative. Since you've already made the skeleton, it shouldn't be that hard to go back and add the detail layer to it. It takes time, but you should eventually find your style of design.

Smiley

Quietus

Hehe, it did sound funny, though I don't know what the original is supposed to be either.  I reckon we're going to see a few different attempts at music, then we'll see somebody appear with some amazing music, everybody will be wowed, so they'll use it in their hacks, and then everybody will get sick of it being in every hack, and we'll want the originals back. :^_^:

Quote58

damn, now I'm going to need to learn how to make custom music. Not until school is out though.

DSO

It's funny to me how everyone seems to start out with Norfair and its vocal instrument when they music hack, even though it's epically unsuited to the way it's being used. I'm guilty of it when I started out too...

Learning more about the other musical commands (like the reverb heavy experiment that's actually listed) helped me get a better grasp on how the original composers used things. Just listen to the instrument panning at the start of Green Brinstar, or how Red Brinstar has a left to right motion. It's just a little thing yet when done right helps the song sound more organic. Nowadays my songs are generally very complex, if I remade a song I did when I was starting, the song file becomes a good 5-10x longer without adding any more notes. It also takes a long time listening to the song over and over again to decide how you want to change some detail. If you want to be good at music hacking, it's a "labor of love", aka a timesink. Unless you just want to rush the Tetris Theme out in 15 minutes...

Quietus: You most likely won't see my quality work until Fear's release, so... you might be safe until 2032

Quote58

sooo, thought I'd mix criteria with maridia

Edit: Changed it a little bit

Cloud20

Quote from: Quote58 on September 26, 2013, 07:55:52 PM
sooo, thought I'd mix criteria with maridia

Edit: Changed it a little bit

Could be certainly a room of the week  :^_^:

Quietus

That room looks really nice.  The only suggestion I'd make would be to randomise the filler tiles.  They look a little straight at the moment.