News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Poll for Cheesy

Started by interdpth, August 20, 2011, 05:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you like for Cheesy to edit rooms?

Direct Edit
3 (13%)
Compile new ROM
17 (73.9%)
Suggestion
3 (13%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: August 27, 2011, 05:01:50 PM

interdpth

Hey there, trying to figure out how people would want this. Direct Edit would be how SMILE does it. Compile a new ROM would be, all rooms and related things would be saved to an external file, the when ready to play your hack you click compile. This would help make things easy because you'd be able to exclude rooms and stuff so if a problem occurs you can find the cause.

Also, will anyone actually wanna use Cheesy? >_>

Parabox

Temp edit, with a backup of the unedited room's data and another option to backup at any moment. I know it's a lot to ask. Otherwise, direct edit.

interdpth

That would be compile ROM.

Parabox

You couldn't just write off the room data?

silverpaw84

I don't know if I will continue SM ROM hacking after I finish my current project, but if I do start another project up, I WILL use cheesy (or at least try it). I've seen nothing but good things so far  :^_^:

Zero One

Assuming Cheesy is more stable than SMILE, which isn't all that hard to do (no offense), I'm sure I'll use it. On the subject of ROM editing, how about every time you hit the Save button, it creates a back-up ROM automatically, at the location of the original ROM. Then when you play it, it plays the latest ROM.

Of course, I'm assuming that isn't what you meant. If it is, then I'm all for Compile ROM.

silverpaw84

Quote from: Zero One on August 20, 2011, 06:18:03 PM
how about every time you hit the Save button, it creates a back-up ROM automatically, at the location of the original ROM.
I don't know about you, but I normally save each room at least three times while editing, to quickmet and change, and so I don't lose my work. This would easily create a LARGE chunk of data, as well as a mess, AS WELL as being hard to keep track of (I timestamp my backups, but thats normally one per day) I do, however, like this idea. Maybe ask each time to backup, and save all into a selected folder, timestamped, when you want

-EDIT- Also, backup to an IPS instead of ROM, so you're dealing with kilobytes, not megabytes

Zero One

Well, you could delete the ones that you don't need. Or have it toggleable. Either way, I'd use the hell out of it.

Scyzer

Quote from: silverpaw84 on August 20, 2011, 06:25:20 PM
Quote from: Zero One on August 20, 2011, 06:18:03 PM
how about every time you hit the Save button, it creates a back-up ROM automatically, at the location of the original ROM.
I don't know about you, but I normally save each room at least three times while editing, to quickmet and change, and so I don't lose my work. This would easily create a LARGE chunk of data, as well as a mess, AS WELL as being hard to keep track of (I timestamp my backups, but thats normally one per day) I do, however, like this idea. Maybe ask each time to backup, and save all into a selected folder, timestamped, when you want

-EDIT- Also, backup to an IPS instead of ROM, so you're dealing with kilobytes, not megabytes

You're describing EXACTLY what the earlier versions of SMILE do... They created IPS patches of every change each time you saved, timestamped them automatically, and organised them into a backups folder.

Jathys then removed the feature because of the hoards of users who had no idea how the backups worked and complained.

silverpaw84

He couldnt have just made that an optional feature instead of removing it? C'mon!

snarfblam

I would largely favor "Compile New ROM." Of course, I don't know how much my vote counts, since I don't hack SM, but for me that is generally the preferable approach. Having some sort of build process rather than editing everything in place means that no change is permanent. It's easier to fix problems and go back and change things around. It also provides the possibility to include .IPS files and GFX in a project, which can be safely updated without breaking anything if they aren't applied until the project is built.

Crashtour99

Voting for Compile New ROM.

I've never had problems with SMILE crashing, but one of the big problems that I HAVE had is random corruption (elevators, PLMs, etc.).

If Cheesy doesn't have the random corruption issues, I'll definitely be using it over SMILE every time.

Katelyn

Voting as the variant of the Compiling a new ROM.

personitis

Quote from: snarfblam on August 20, 2011, 10:12:30 PM
I would largely favor "Compile New ROM." Of course, I don't know how much my vote counts, since I don't hack SM, but for me that is generally the preferable approach. Having some sort of build process rather than editing everything in place means that no change is permanent. It's easier to fix problems and go back and change things around. It also provides the possibility to include .IPS files and GFX in a project, which can be safely updated without breaking anything if they aren't applied until the project is built.
Snarf pretty much summed it up for me. Besides, accidentally breaking something and having to figure out what did it/how to undo it can be a pain sometimes. Compile ROM. Also, I've had maybe but one or two major problems happen in SMILE, but overall, yes I'd use Cheesy.

herald83

Compile for sure.  When I saw squishy post his template ips, I thought, "Oh great, now I don't have to spend hours deleting old crap before building my own stuff", but the option to have Cheesy compile instead of doing a "manual compilation" would be awesome.

Jathys

Quote from: Scyzer on August 20, 2011, 09:16:44 PM
Jathys then removed the feature because of the hoards of users who had no idea how the backups worked and complained.

Actually, the complaints had little to do with it. In reality, SMILE would sometimes apply the patches out of order, thus repairing incorrectly (though creatively).

Corruptor

I'm planning on using cheesy instead of SMILE for my first hack, especially if its easier! :grin:

Katelyn

Quote from: Corruptor on August 28, 2011, 01:03:50 AM
I'm planning on using cheesy instead of SMILE for my first hack, especially if its easier! :grin:

What if it's harder/requires more manual work?

KT JDDD

I will probably continue to use SMILE but also use Cheesy in the areas it works better.  That's assuming they both work in linux under Wine.

silverpaw84

[snip]

zephyrtronium

Quote from: interdpth on July 23, 2011, 02:31:17 AMAlso recoding the GUI [for Cheesie] for wxWindows so it could be ran on many operating systems :)