News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

removed

Started by Sunbeam, January 11, 2012, 07:40:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunbeam

removed

FPzero

This is probably worth expanding some more if only because it's very rough right now.  I'd be interested to see what it looks like another 3 weeks from now.

I've also got a massive bug to report.  I wandered into the Crateria map room and tried to download the map.  This resulted in my computer hard freezing and restarting.  No idea what caused that, and I'm certainly not wanting to try and duplicate it.

Sunbeam

For the time being I will not work further on this project. The main reason being that coding wise many things already work sufficiently. The next possible advancement would be to insert new graphics / models into the engine. I know there are many small issues left, however these just take some time and are no huge obstacles as the first steps in the project were.

About the Crateria map station I have to say that while testing I used the exactly same map station multiple times without any error. I can not say for sure it's not my code's fault, however there are many other possibilities like an outdated graphics card driver or something similar. The biggest error I ever encountered while testing was my program crashing, not the whole system. :)

Anyway, it would be nice to hear other opinions as well. As of now I can only assume that this project is not interesting enough for anyone else to post here which I find quite disappointing. Please say what you think. :)

Metaquarius

I think SM would look wierd in 3D anyway, it's not a matter of using the original engine or not. It was not created with the third dimension in mind, there's too much to be changed to make it look right.

I did not manage to run the engine at all, missing DLL files and stuff ? What are the minimum requirements to make this work ?

Xaggoth

Gave this a shot, seems pretty cool, at least conceptually.  3d models in SM sounds pretty awesome to me.  Getting the animations to sync sounds like a nightmare though.  I guess you would be listening for various signals from the emulator and begin animations on specific frames?  You could always start with static 3d models without animations.

3d terrain would be sweet too, but then you would lose custom tiles in hacks.  But that would be true for remodels of enemies anyways, so there's really no getting around that.

People might be more impressed if there was a functioning 3d model in there somewhere.  Something simple, for example.

Sunbeam

Quote from: Metaquarius on January 13, 2012, 08:33:27 AMI did not manage to run the engine at all, missing DLL files and stuff ? What are the minimum requirements to make this work ?
While testing the program on another computer I found out that the zlib1.dll was missing. This seems not to be the case on all computers. If you want to try my program download the missing DLL file and paste it into the program's folder. Maybe you can find it in the usual SNES9X download as well.
The minimum requirements should be pretty low, after all I have an old computer. You only need the newest DirectX 9 version. Later will work too I guess.

Quote from: Xaggoth on January 14, 2012, 03:26:43 PMGetting the animations to sync sounds like a nightmare though.  I guess you would be listening for various signals from the emulator and begin animations on specific frames?
Currently I only know the number and position of the enemies. I would need to know what kind of enemy I'm reading and what animation it is in. I don't think I would need any more synchronisation than that. It wouldn't matter how the played 3D animation looks like as long as the right one is played.

Quote from: Xaggoth on January 14, 2012, 03:26:43 PMPeople might be more impressed if there was a functioning 3d model in there somewhere.  Something simple, for example.
I already did what I could. I'm no modeler, so I guess that's all I could do. If anyone provided some models that I could use it would look more like the real game than a testing ground. For the time being I will put the project to rest. Maybe I'll resume it at some later date or rework the whole thing to work with some other game. Anyhow thanks for your interest!