News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid: The Next Dawn

Started by pomtt, January 12, 2012, 09:26:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pomtt

hi im posting a new project ive staeted ill be posting updates every thursday
the plot:

samus is on her way down to the planet octon VIII to investigate the missing colony that once thrived on the planet.

screenshots

Sunbeam

Looks like only one screenshot to me :razz:
Strongly reminds me of the standard SM landing site. But there's a funny pattern in the rocks above the right door. :^_^:

Quietus

I'll say my usual: BTS.  You don't need the square block behind a ramp when the ramp is against a wall. :^_^:

Quote58

Speaking of BTS, you have a lot of slopes to fix.
and more screenshots would be welcome.

pomtt

Quote from: Shadow96 on January 12, 2012, 03:37:50 PM
Speaking of BTS, you have a lot of slopes to fix.
and more screenshots would be welcome.
ok can you please point out the flaws so i can fix them and also i have only done 1 room at the min :neutral:

Quote58

So good news, turns out your slopes should work. I always added a square under the slope and on the outgoing block, but I see now that it isn't necessary. The photo shows what I'm talking about, yours on the left, mine on the right. They both work.

Sorry about that. Don't know why I always thought that.

Quietus

Shadow: Yes, his slopes are fine, and no, you do not need those blocks below your ramps. :^_^:

pomtt: You'll see what I mean below.  Where you have a ramp next to a wall, you do not need the square box behind it (inside the wall).  I've highlighted them with yellow dots:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

You may also want to remember that in big, open spaces, where it is likely that players will be able to charge a shinespark, you may wish to place TWO blocks behind the ramps on slopes, as the player can occasionally spark into a ramp with ONE block behind it, and get stuck.

Qactis

Quote from: Shadow96 on January 12, 2012, 06:17:33 PM

As Quietus mentioned, the slopes on the right would require a square bts under each sloped bts in order for Samus to be able to successfully horizontally shinespark up the ramp without hitting it and stopping

Quietus

Huh? :O_o:

I meant at the top of each ramp, so you have your ramp BTS going up, followed by two square blocks at the top of the ramp, like this:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Are you saying hackers should also place them below?

Quote58

I was wondering that too, as when I tried the slopes the way on the right, I could shinespark up just fine.
The only problem I found was the one quietus mentioned.

pomtt

ok thanks for the help alot more rooms are done but you will see the on thursday

Qactis

Quote from: Quietus on January 13, 2012, 05:57:13 PM
Huh? :O_o:

I meant at the top of each ramp, so you have your ramp BTS going up, followed by two square blocks at the top of the ramp, like this:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Are you saying hackers should also place them below?

oops sorry that;'s what I meant

pomtt

hi i have done more rooms but i can only upload them on thursday because thas when im at colage

pomtt

hi its thursday meening update :yay:
heer are some screeneis

Quietus

pomtt

:grin: yay i fanaly passed the bts test. any way is there any faults with any of the rooms.if there is please tell me

Quote58

passed? abound means 'in large quantity'
Rooms aren't all that bad, but they feel much too straight and clean cut.

Zero One

Personally, I find the rooms are a bit too empty - it needs more stuff going on in there. Also, don't forget to use filler tiles to break up that bland green rock face!