News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid Incursion - Original build thread

Started by Grimlock, April 30, 2011, 05:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grimlock

EDIT: Updated to version 1.1

1. Minor changes to title screen
2. Corrected an issue with the Norfair level design.  If a person falls to the bottom of the water/sewer falls without missiles then they won't be able to acquire the high jump and get out of that area.
3. Corrected map (minor graphics) in Plus version
4. Modified the level design so you need to have the high jump to acquire the bombs
5. Added/Modified creatures in areas
6. Removed one perma-stuck spot
7. Minor cosmetic modifications

Issue with version 1.0: If you fall down the waterfall in the sewer without missiles you can get stuck.  The high jump is down there but you can't get them without the missiles.

Final game title:    Metroid - Incursion

100% Complete - Snarfblams Metroid Plus improvements where successfully applied to this MOD

I have included 2 .IPS files, one with Snarfblams Metroid Plus improvements and one with the standard
    weapons and no mini map.  I found that the wave+ice made the final area fairly easy.  If you want more
    of a challenge I would say play through with the normal version first then with the PLUS features second.

Metroid_Incursion.IPS = Standard Weapons and Original Gameplay
    Metroid_Incursion_Plus.IPS = Added pause mini map, Wavy Ice weapon, Save game feature

Description of modifications:

All levels 100% redesign
    New title screen graphics
    New tile graphics - All levels (New level themes)
    New creature graphics (A few classics will remain)
    Animations created for all levels
    Level design focused on fun factor, game play, attempt at minimizing frustration (There are some difficult
         areas).
    Snarfblams save game and mini map hack applied

Screenshots:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Old Screenshots:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Basic gameplay tips: (Minor spoiler - no specific details, If you have played Metroid before then don't read)

[spoiler]1. Much like the original this MOD have some back and forth movement to different areas (example: you need the bomb to proceed in certain areas)
2. The wave beam is hidden, not insanely hidden but look around and you'll find it.
3. You will need the ice beam to advance in one area.
4. Several missile tanks are hidden in Norfair.
5. None of the hidden items are randomly placed behind blocks such as the energy tank near the beginning in the original Metroid.
6. You will need to bomb to advance but not some insanely hidden spot like the original Norfair.
7. The hidden items are not difficult to find but they do offer a minor challenge to locate.
8. Many areas are like a puzzle, you will have to figure out to advance.
9. All items are acquirable, even though they may not seem to be at first.  (The ones you see as you go through the game).[/spoiler]

Secrets:

If you can't get through Tourian:

[spoiler]1. There is a hidden ice beam at the entrance to Tourian, (Just in case you have the wave beam only)
2. If you are killed in Tourian there is a hidden energy tank at the entrance before you use the elevator (respawns after you die)
3. Before you enter mother brains area you can repeatedly kill the Metroid to regain health/rockets. it will respawn if you walk a little to the left and return to the right where it spawns.[/spoiler]

Charmander106

Those are some nice gfx, good work! I especially love the 4th and 5th pics!

Once again, good work. Can't wait to play.

Zhs2

Ahaha, Megaman-ville in the first shots (Because who knows where Megaman lives, really?) These look pretty great, though, for Samus infiltrating a rather urban place on a foreign world. Can't wait to see more! :D

Grimlock

Quote from: Zhs2 on April 30, 2011, 05:57:02 PM
Ahaha, Megaman-ville in the first shots [/size] [/size] (Because who knows where Megaman lives, really?) These look pretty great, though, for Samus infiltrating a rather urban place on a foreign world. Can't wait to see more! :D

You discovered the inspiration for my building design....  Those where the first tiles I edited in Tile Layer Pro, based on the Megaman 2 title screen.  I've since edited some more building tiles for some variance in the level design, there's now about 5 or 6 different types of buildings.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

FullOfFail

That's pretty spectacular. Keep us updated.

snarfblam

Pretty nifty, especially #3, 4, and 5.

Grimlock

If anyone is still interested in this hack I just wanted to give a quick update.  I'm still working on it and it's progressing well.  I decided to edit the enemies which was not my original intent, I'm.glad I decided to though because it has really added to the depth of the MOD.  As far as worlds go I just have the final 2 to finish up, I have a decent start on them with graphics edits and new screens and enemies.  I 'm not sure when I will finish but I will finish this mod for sure, I just enjoy editing too much to just let it go.  I am typically busy which inevitably will make it take a while to finish but it will be finished.  I'll see about posting some screen shots some tome soon.

altoiddealer

passarbye

this actually looks pretty good.
i think i'll play this one. :)

Zero One

Quote from: Zhs2 on April 30, 2011, 05:57:02 PM
Ahaha, Megaman-ville in the first shots (Because who knows where Megaman lives, really?)

Monsteropolis.

Those images look awesome and it does seem to fit the Metroid feel really well. Can't wait to see the final product!

Grimlock

Here's some up to date screenshots of my work in progress.  I'm pretty close to finishing, I just need to finish editing the final area along with some minor tweaks of the finished sections.  I'd like to edit the title screen also but I'm not sure how to go about doing that yet...

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Qactis

Nearly pissed myself looking at those amazing graphics. You are a god sir

images 4 5 and 6.... fucking wow

can't wait for this to be finished

Grimlock

Thanks., its pretty close to being finished, maybe 1 or 2 more months left...  I have some cool ideas for my next mod, once this one gets finished.  I'm going to polish the areas that I already finished now that I'm running Editroid 3.0, it's pretty amazing what snafblam has aciomplished with it.

(Posting with my kindle fire so please excuse errors)

DemickXII

Now THIS brings Metroid to a whole different level. This might be the DOOM 2: Hell On Earth for Metroid. Can't wait to try out the patch once you finish it!

Grimlock

Ok, DemickXII updated his thread so I guess I better update mine.  I'm still working on this project, I took a few months off and released a couple Half-Life maps.

I only have the final area to finish up, all other areas are polished up pretty well.  I added several animations to the finished areas and reworked the layout here and there.

My major road block is editing the title screen and text in the intro, I hardly know where to begin.  What's a good hex application to use, something with tutorials online.  Free would be nice too.

For the most recent screenshots look at my post from April (I'm going to edit the first post to show the most recent when I get around to it).

EDIT: I just looked at those screenshots and I have polished up those areas since posting.  I'll try and post some new shots some time soon.

snarfblam

There are a few decent hex editors out there, but I've noticed lately that a lot of people use the hex editor built into FCEUX. You can edit the ROM while it's running, so you can make your changes, reset it and see if you get the right results, and when you're happy with it you an save the modified ROM. You can use the debugger for ASM hacks in a similar manner.

xorxif

When Infinitys_End was working on MDbtroid he did some of work and collaboration making it so the title screen graphic could have more variety.

If you start at this post and read backwards, you can get more details.

http://www.metroid-database.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3162&start=30#p80148

There seems to be some discussion about releasing a patch specifically for giving more tiles to work with on the title screen, but then such discussion seems to get lost...

If a patch was made, I would really like to have it available myself for the hack i am (on and off) working on.

JAM

Oh, my God... What a nice screenshots! Incredible work!

snarfblam

There's also discussion on title screen hacking here: http://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,2095.0.html

If your rom was expanded by the newest version of Editroid, you should have lots of free space for tiles. If not, a little re-arranging will probably be required but it can be done. An older version of Editroid could help in this case because it can edit the tables that specify where to load tiles from.

Grimlock

Quote from: snarfblam on September 14, 2012, 09:21:35 PM
There's also discussion on title screen hacking here: http://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,2095.0.html[/url

Thanks, I had forgotten about that thread.  I'm going to have to put some hours in and hammer through the learning curve on some of the apps mentioned.

Thanks for the replys everyone, I appreciate the encouragement.

I'll try and get some more screenshots posted next week.

SpiderWaffle

I like those Screen shots, were you able to get moving structures, like in mario bros, and conveyor belt type structures, like in TMNT and double dragon, that'd be insane!

Grimlock

I've added animations in all areas but not moving blocks, I don't think the game engine can do that, would be great though.

Digital_Mantra

I've been waiting YEARS for a Metroid hack, I really hope to play this one in the near future.

Grimlock

I've been considering doing a beta release of this mod.  I still have the final area and the title screen remaining, which means the game is just about fully playable (just can't finish it).

If I did where would I be able to upload a patch file to link to?

Digital_Mantra

You'd upload the patch to your initial first post.
Cheers.