News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

ASM Basics IRC Class - Logs in First Post!

Started by Scyzer, August 27, 2010, 11:37:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squishy_ichigo

Pretty nice job guys, though I would have explained it differently :P

DSO

Well, now that I've read through the first lesson, I think I can dovetail it nicely with something I had planned on Wednesday at around 7 or 8 pm (GMT - 5) that gets into basic debugger stuff. I'd call it "Breakpoints, Branches and Counters." Basically I'd take your refilling block example and show them how to make a block that refills over time. I'd also planned to explain the basic JSR/RTS and JSL/RTL, if that sounds good to you guys.

DSO

The power has just gone out at my house and my battery backup won't last for long. If power does not come back we will need to reschedule to another day, sorry.

Hopefully whatever is going on is resolved before then...

Scyzer

Bump

Just so people know, I'll be running a class tomorrow on Wednesday 8/9 at 2am GMT -5 (Forum Time). There are just a few things I want to cover before DSO's class on the friday.
It will basically just be some more examples of ASM, with new routines and instructions, and some branching. So it should be an easy lesson ;)

Quietus

So, that'll be...

* Quietus does some finger counting.

7:00 for me. I'll be asleep.  Dang. :neutral:

Please not to be forgetting the log.  Did we get the last lesson's log yet..?

Crashtour99

Did DSO actually do a lesson or did it get canceled?  If it happened I would like a log as well since I accidentally missed it...

DSO

I was going for one on Wednesday evening (GMT - 5 evening, of course), but the power went out so I decided to edit my post and change for Friday. But it didn't seem like anyone showed up Friday, so I didn't have a lesson then either. I've got assignments and source material and stuff all ready, just need to figure out when people will be willing to be there.

Scyzer

Quietus, there's just been the one lesson so far. The log can be picked up from BF post, and I have a zip file up in the first post with the log and ASM examples/task.

DSO, I put the time the same at 7pm (GMT -5) so you can pop in :)
That's in about 2.5 hours tho.

Quietus

Well, I understand that you guys are doing it in your free time, so I don't want to come across too pushy, but the most logical time to do it to maximise attendees would be somewhere near 16:00 on a Saturday or Sunday, which'd mean that, if willing, people could attend 8-10 hours either side.  That would surely catch almost everybody..?

(Unless I'm missing something obvious! :heheh:)

Scyzer

well I'll be rotating my lessons around a clock to find the best times, and so everyone gets a chance to pop in.

BTW, the next lesson .zip is up on first post

DSO

Well, with branching and stuff partly out of the way I can focus more of my own lesson on actual debugging and giving people the tools to find hijack points for their ideas on their own.

I will mention that BRA is better than JMP wherever a BRA can be used, because BRA is 3x faster.

Parabox

BRA's are always awesome, especially when Sadiztyk throws them at me.

Silver Skree

Could we please not post logs and such in RTF? .txt is a lot easier to work with, plus it's all you need, especially for logs. And you don't have to have a fancy reader for .txt :/

EDIT: I really am liking these logs though. I'm learning from them better than I've ever learned from anyone trying to teach me one-on-one, and that's REALLY unusual for me. So keep it up, this rocks.

EDIT2: http://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,145.msg12157.html#msg12157

JAM

Quote from: DSO on September 08, 2010, 07:18:27 PM
I will mention that BRA is better than JMP wherever a BRA can be used, because BRA is 3x faster.
What about BRL? The same speed as JMP has or still faster?

DSO

Quote from: JAM on September 10, 2010, 07:34:15 PM
Quote from: DSO on September 08, 2010, 07:18:27 PM
What about BRL? The same speed as JMP has or still faster?
BRL is 1 more cycle than BRA but 2 less than JMP. Also, I misread BRA as 2 when it was 3 cycles so it's really only 2x faster. So, for most cases:

BRA = 3 cycles
BRL = 4 cycles
JMP = 6 cycles

herald83

Does there exist (not including the wonderful SNES Dev Manual on romhacking) a handy list of SNES ASM commands?  If not, I'll probably start one of my own but I didn't want to attempt to recreate something like that, especially considering how new to ASM I am.

squishy_ichigo

Its been over a week kiddies, we need another lesson! :awesome:

herald83

I concur.  I think I remember SadFish mentioning having something in the works in a PM a few days ago...

Scyzer

bamph!

JAM

Thanks for your work. Even if there not too much people in the class, many of us (including me) is downloading every lesson to learn some stuff.

herald83

Yeah, I had fully intended to be present, but stuff came up and I wasn't able to be there.  Definitely DL'ing the log now though.

Borderjumper67

Where can you DL the log?
I would like to learn some of this

Scyzer

Quote from: Borderjumper67 on October 11, 2010, 07:01:40 PM
Where can you DL the log?
I would like to learn some of this

Have you actually read any of the posts in this topic? :<_<: Or did you just jump to the last page and reply? They're up on the first post.

Quietus

To avoid this recurring theme, perhaps change the title to 'ASM Basics IRC Class - Previous Lesson Logs in First Post'.

I know it's long, but it'd stop most of the people asking.