News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid (Untitled) DekuKnight's Hack REDUX

Started by Parabox, July 13, 2010, 04:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parabox

Yeah. I lost my file, but I'mma start anew, inspired by the awesome SNARFBLAM. He da man, making da plan, y'know. I promise a pic will be up by today, so no locky-locky, hmmkay?

snarfblam

I like the open sky. Something I've also done in my own hack. (Glad to see I'm not alone in the ancient world of NEStroid.)

Parabox

So far that is the only open sky part, as the door directly leads into the caverns. I thought of making it all a bit layered, like first you have normal Brinstar, then lava Brinstar, then ancient Brinstar, etc. Same goes for other areas.
The nice thing about NEStroid is that you don't have to think elemental. With Super and Prime you have the overworld/vegetated area/ruins, fiery caverns, water/ice/wrecked ship and the final area/lair of the final boss.
Also, I find that Metroid/II play different from Super in a way. It isn't better or worse, just different.

I hope that the combined effort of me, you and Metruler1990 can make this scene at least half as big as the Super hacking scene. NEStroid deserves it.

Lunaria

There are some quirks with NEStroid that prevents me from playing it and any hacks of it.

This is not really directed at this topic per see. (though the room looks nice DekuKnight) But if anyone could add/remove things it will really make me more interested in all of NEStroid.

List form as it's easier and faster:

-Being able to aim and shoot downwards in midair.
-Item or button input that boosts walking speed left/right. (Maybe in morphball to add more interesting gameplay mechanics?)
-Start with more energy when you respawn, say, 50% or full?

snarfblam

Quote from: Crys on July 18, 2010, 04:48:31 PM
-Being able to aim and shoot downwards in midair.
-Item or button input that boosts walking speed left/right. (Maybe in morphball to add more interesting gameplay mechanics?)
-Start with more energy when you respawn, say, 50% or full?
It would be nice to be able to shoot downward. I accidentally made an ASM hack that shot downward when aiming up. The real problem is Samus' animation for it. Like everything else in the ROM, the relevant data (pattern, animation, sprite) is boxed in and can't be increased in size. The walking speed in Metroid is fine IMO. As for the energy, that would be an easy hack. Deku, if you wanna take Crys up on that suggestion and need help, I can help. I dunno what your experience with ASM is.

Crys, you are gonna play my hack when it comes out, right? :grin:     Right? :stern:

Lunaria

Of course I am going to give it a try snarfblam. But unless you start with more then 30 energy after you die you won't see me playing it for terribly long, nor to the end for that matter.

personitis

Quote from: snarfblam on July 18, 2010, 09:26:28 AM(Glad to see I'm not alone in the ancient world of NEStroid.)
I've picked up Editroid and made a few things, though nothing big. Just like three/four rooms. I've just not found anything cool to do for NesTroid.

On topic, the open-ness looks nice. That's really the only complement I've got on simple ol' NesTroid hacks. xD Moar pics maybeh? :3

Parabox

This stuff is getting on delay until next week Saturday, but then I'll definitely make some new rooms and post some more content.

xorxif

I am actually looking forward to seeing what you can do with this. I have had my own NEStroid hack in the back of my mind for a great many years, but just never made the time to start putting things down.

Further, with the new breakthroughs that snarfblam has made, I am also very optimistic about a lot more ideas and innovations coming to NEStroid hacking.